Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > General Discussion - Thor Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2021, 03:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini tw
State: Alberta
THOR #17351
Furnace making strange noises.

My Dometic furnace in my Gemini is making low inconsistent rumbling noises when burning. I finally convinced the dealership service dept. there is an issue, but they haven’t come up with a solution yet. Has anyone else had this noise?

Old 07-22-2021, 02:24 PM   #2

Model: Miramar 32.2
State: Texas
THOR #14520
I’m not an expert, but have them remove the actual burner tip and clean off the inside and outside of it. They tend to rust over time. We had something similar and that helped although it didn’t entirely go away.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #3

THOR #17351
Furnace noises

Ok thanks, they had the furnace on the bench testing it, said everything was normal, but when we parked a new identical Gemini beside mine we heard no growling on the new one like what mine was doing. It’s not loud but annoying in the wee hours of the morning when all is quiet.
Old 07-22-2021, 03:36 PM   #4

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
On our propane fired water heater, with shifting breezes it will have the flame "make noise". All normal in my book.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:49 PM   #5

THOR #17351
Ok, but this furnace does it sitting in my shop. The service people said the flame is a nice blue, and the pressures are where they should be. Kind of puzzling and annoying. Just checking to see if anyone else has this problem with either the dometic or suburban furnaces.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #6

THOR #16471
So did the Service people hear this "noise" while it was installed in the Gemini before they removed it... odd that they would 'bench test' it, that can be done installed.
Most comment their furnaces are loud whenever they run, that is why they opt for supplemental electric heaters...
Old 07-23-2021, 01:48 AM   #7

THOR #17351
Dometic furnace noises

The service dept said it sounded normal to them in the motorhome, but I persisted and they took it out for a bench test. Since the new Gemini they brought over to compare never made the noise mine made, I had some ground to stand on. Have been conversing with the service manager, he has been talking to a person in Calgary ab who has given him a couple things to try, but it is a matter of trying several things to pinpoint problem and the extended warranty dept isn’t willing to spend a bunch of time and expense going on a wild goose chase. So my service manager is willing to put his own time in on a weekend to hunt for faults. It’s a puzzle.
Old 07-23-2021, 01:50 AM   #8

THOR #17351
I can live with a constant noise of a furnace, but this is a surging sound and is very hard to sleep through.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:46 AM   #9

THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingwithourgemini View Post
I can live with a constant noise of a furnace, but this is a surging sound and is very hard to sleep through.
It was "rumbling" before, now you say surging.... That could be caused by changes in the battery voltage to the fan motor. Do you have a voltmeter installed on its supply, usually the house batteries, that you can monitor at those times? Or can you see the current being drawn by the unit?
Old 07-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #10

THOR #17351
Well, now, if we put both sound effects together, then that’s what I have. I may have described it before as an old wood stove with too much wood and not enough air. But on a much milder level. As the service writer at the dealership told me , it sounded like a low bass beating away in the distant. Can’t see the voltage being an issue when it acts the same when plugged into shore power, and the meter shows a constant 13+volts.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #11

THOR #16471
Well, it is one of those things that "you had to be there" to answer... but I will answer your original question and I know it will be right.

Has anyone else had this noise? - "Dunno..."
Good Luck.
Old 07-23-2021, 03:19 PM   #12

THOR #17351
Haha good one and thanks.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:47 PM   #13

Model: Quantrum RC25
State: California
THOR #14016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingwithourgemini View Post
My Dometic furnace in my Gemini is making low inconsistent rumbling noises when burning. I finally convinced the dealership service dept. there is an issue, but they haven’t come up with a solution yet. Has anyone else had this noise?
I ran my furnace for the first time this year waking up to 40 degrees outside. It was 55 inside because of space heaters. I set the furnace for 63 degrees, the rumble is good for me, that is the flame. It rumbles for about 5 - 15 seconds, it did that rumble on and off with blower running consistently for 2 minutes before the the thermostat read 63 degrees and the blower shut off after the furnace cooled off. All normal for me, but I can't sleep with it so we use space heaters.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:21 AM   #14
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junodtim View Post
I ran my furnace for the first time this year waking up to 40 degrees outside. It was 55 inside because of space heaters. I set the furnace for 63 degrees, the rumble is good for me, that is the flame. It rumbles for about 5 - 15 seconds, it did that rumble on and off with blower running consistently for 2 minutes before the the thermostat read 63 degrees and the blower shut off after the furnace cooled off. All normal for me, but I can't sleep with it so we use space heaters.
63 degrees? You wife/boss is not on Coumadin. If she was like mine, 78 degrees could feel cold to her! I would preference 63 degrees. I am always warm.
Old 08-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #15

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Check that all the duct work is tight and not crimped somewhere. It could be a lose section flopping around while it's running.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:33 AM   #16

Brand: Airstream
THOR #24702
That's right. I also had a similar issue in past.
Old 02-19-2022, 01:49 PM   #17

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #24841
Sounds like something loose in the housing