Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2021, 04:57 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #21811
Mail on the road?

Got our new Thor and have been doing some week long adventures. I know there are mail forwarding services out there? we plan to be on the road 3 months or more at a time - any suggestions on good services or ones to avoid?
Thanks!

Old 03-26-2021, 05:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Isn't Escapees based out of Texas?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Isn't Escapees based out of Texas?
Yes they are
Old 03-26-2021, 07:07 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Most folks seem to use Dakota Post.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:20 AM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRV View Post
Got our new Thor and have been doing some week long adventures. I know there are mail forwarding services out there? we plan to be on the road 3 months or more at a time - any suggestions on good services or ones to avoid?
Thanks!
If your on the road for only 3 months, why not have your neighbor collect it for you?
I’m full time and use SKPs mail service. If you do this, keep in mind that you will need to contact and change your address to the service and then change it back when you get back. Most everything is electronic now, so 99% of the mail I get is junk.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:48 AM   #6

Model: 22FE
State: New York
THOR #5330
What Ryno said, have all your monthly bills auto pay directly from your checking account and the other stuff held at post office until you get back. We've been doing that for years since retirement and traveling, if you can't or won't do that then you probably should only leave on a trip for 5-6 days. We have never had a glitch with our mail or bill pay doing this.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:40 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
What Ryno said, have all your monthly bills auto pay directly from your checking account and the other stuff held at post office until you get back. We've been doing that for years since retirement and traveling, if you can't or won't do that then you probably should only leave on a trip for 5-6 days. We have never had a glitch with our mail or bill pay doing this.
The OP is asking about a 3 month period of time and USPS mail hold is for a maximum of 30 days.

Temporary mail forwarding service and then do a temporary mail forward from the post office. Can be used for up to 1 year. Have mail sent to the forwarding service and then when you return home stop the temporary forwarding. This is what I am planning for our up coming summer trip.

As a note, there are still some things that are not handled electronically. For our place in Virginia anything coming from the county is USPS.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #8

Model: 22FE
THOR #5330
Our post office will hold our mail for 6 months and then extend it if we call them directly. We receive auto deposit and auto pay from town, county and state in NY.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #9
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmath View Post
Our post office will hold our mail for 6 months and then extend it if we call them directly. We receive auto deposit and auto pay from town, county and state in NY.
Must be a local thing. Setup of mail hold on line will not allow scheduling for more than 30 days, which the maximum allowed by the USPS. They tell you that for more than 30 days to use one of the mail forwarding options they offer.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:08 PM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
“The maximum duration for Hold Mail requests is 30 days. If you need mail held longer than 30 days, please contact your local Post Office™“
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AE751CDF-B4C7-447F-A40E-81E61C292C8C.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	29390  
Old 03-27-2021, 03:57 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Neighbors
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:47 PM   #12

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Seems to me the answer depends on your mail situation and your neighbors. Our mail arives at a group of boxes and a neighbor picks up ours when they pick up theirs. I get a daily email from USPS with a pic of the mail each day. They dont show magazines or some of the bigger junk mail.

Our neighbor calls if something comes that might be important, like something from the county that might be a jury duty notice. Usually it's nothing. Can't think of any bills we get that aren't on auto or viewable and payable online. Good neighbors are priceless!
Old 03-31-2021, 06:10 PM   #13

THOR #14396
RV mail services

We use myrvmail.com and have been happy with them.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:56 PM   #14

THOR #21811
Thank you all for the input! went with ipostal1 only $9 a month and they scan, discard or send anything I may need to me - all with an app on the phone! Talked to two others who have had for a year and like it.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:22 AM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
You already chose an app, but I went paperless with all my bills and use autopay to pay them. After that over 90% of my mail is truly junk. When we hit the road we put in a mail hold with the USPS. I have had a hold that lasted 60 days and not had a problem. I live in a rural area and the post office folks are not that anal about rules. It is free after all and there is no need to do an address change. You can also annotate a person to pick up the mail should the hold expire and then start a new hold. The post office folks have been real cooperative with us probably will be with you.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 01:06 PM   #16

THOR #21811
Thanks! I realized that was an option but I have important legal docs sent in regards to my Dads estate every few weeks that I need to see. So I needed something that would forward it to us when needed etc. I have all my bills online and paperless so that part was easy. Another topic I see you did the safety plus (did ours last week) also the CHF, were you happy with the results from that? thinking about doing it before we head out next weekend on a long trip from Texas to Florida. I also did the front end alignment which seemed to help some.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:26 PM   #17

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
The post office can't even deliver mail on a good day, you expect to get it on the road...... jeeez!!!
Old 04-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
If they can't find you: they can't send you the bills...
Old 04-05-2021, 02:43 PM   #19

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Smile

Way before I got an RV I was traveling around this great country on a Goldwing Trike which pulled a pop-up camper. This was before banks and credit unions established online banking programs.

A lady friend would check mail a couple times a week and take the approporiate action. (I'd leave a stack of signed blank checks for bills.)

With online banking now available all bills, except water, are paid by credit card which gives points I convert into prepaid cards which pays for the gas and most food/meals during the trip. (The exception to credit card payment is the water bill drafted from my checking account.)

A lady friend checks mail on Mondays and scans/emails matters that require actions by me. I don't worry about bank, credit union and credit card statements as I download them from the internet site. All junk mail goes to garbage.

Enjoy your trip and I wish you a safe journey!
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 01:24 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Great idea will look for a CC card with points we can use for anything?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mail