Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > General Discussion - Thor Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Starcraft - It's here!!! Finally

I got the call late yesterday. They told me I could pick it up Monday or Tuesday but unfortunately I won't be able to go until Wednesday! :-(
I'm a little concerned that when I asked my sales rep about the PDI his response was " What's a PDI ? " That's a little worrisome ! Anyway I plan to go Wednesday with no intention of driving it home, but to do a thorough inspection and pick it up once all repairs (if any) have been done.
Thanks to each of you for the advice you've given me. I hope to put it to good use!
Donna
PS. I bought a Progressive EMS, should I take it with me Wednesday and have them install it then? I don't intend to write the check until all the repairs are done, so they may not be willing to install it until after they receive payment! What do you think?

Old 03-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I'd bring it with you: What if there is only minor stuff and you're happy (can be somewhat optimistic )

oh and congratulations!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #3
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
OK ... educate me...the Progressive EMS ... it appears to be a permanent surge protector, rather than a 'post mount' surge protector?
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
OK ... educate me...the Progressive EMS ... it appears to be a permanent surge protector, rather than a 'post mount' surge protector?
That's exactly what it is, permanently installed, no worries about someone stealing it in the middle of the night. Easy install.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb
Both: you can get a permanent mount one or a portable one you plug in.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:28 PM   #6

THOR #5196
Sforl, hope your inspection goes well so you can get on the road and enjoy your new coach, congratulations!!!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:42 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
....cut....

PS. I bought a Progressive EMS, should I take it with me Wednesday and have them install it then? I don't intend to write the check until all the repairs are done, so they may not be willing to install it until after they receive payment! What do you think?
First of all, congratulations.

I agree with your thought above. If I were in their place, I would not want to install anything custom for a customer until deal was final. Although in this case it may not be a big deal for them if you walked away at the last minute because they could just keep the EMS.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:06 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
Thumbs up Mine is Arriving on Monday:)!!!

Sforl,

Congratulations!

Mine is arriving on Monday, after the long trip to Oregon from Indiana. I am appreciating that my dealership will do the PDI with me (later this week, probably Friday) which I anticipate will take many hours. They already know I'm a pain in the ass and a well educated consumer (thanks to you all, so they will put one of only a few very experienced folks, very patient too I imagine, on the task of doing my walkthrough.

What is really great about them, and other dealerships I seem to see around, is that I will get to stay overnight hooked up on their premises to go through whatever else I want to in whatever amount of detail I want to do it, to continue to search for anything left that needs attention before I finally take ownership of the rig (in my case Vegas 25.4). If I wanted to or needed to, I could stay a second night too.

I do have some things for them to do in terms of work even if nothing is found and if things are found, I certainly expect them to be addressed at that time. I was thinking of having them install the steering stabilizer and the anti sway bars but wonder if I should just start driving it first. I know they will do an alignment if needed but it's suggested that I try to drive it loaded first. I think the 2017's come with the vent covers but if not, would want to add those as well.

Anyway, all of this to say, ...well...I'm really excited! But also to suggest that you may want to see if they can offer an option like this for you.

I also, literally, just clicked on my Amazon.com account to order to permanent EMS (the Progressive one for 30 amp) so they can install that for me at that time.

Best of luck and let's keep in touch with our progress, eh?
Old 03-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #9

THOR #5196
Karwask, Congratulations on your new coach too!!! The family just keeps growing!
Old 03-25-2017, 07:02 PM   #10

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
Congratulations! Mine came off the line March 16th but I think the dealer is dragging their feet on picking it up. I talked to my sales guy last night and got the same story about 8 to 10 days post production but that's next week so that song is about played out too! lol

I'm excited for you and looking forward to getting ours. Hope it happens next week so we at least have one weekend to get ready. We have over 5,000 miles between March and middle June planned!
Old 03-26-2017, 12:32 AM   #11

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #4184
Congratulations! Happy and safe travels!
Old 03-26-2017, 01:22 AM   #12

THOR #6203
I spoke with my sales rep again today to inquire about the PDI ( apparently he isn't familiar with that term) . He told me that I could either have him do the walk through or have a service tech do it. He said the service techs charge by the hour and some customers have felt they tried to rush them through. Doesn't make sense to me to rush someone when you are getting paid by the hour but whatever.
I think I would be being overly optimistic to think there won't be some little things that will require repair so I feel that I'm going to need to make a second trip before I can actually bring it home! Fortunately it just a couple of hours away!
Karwask I asked about the possibility of staying overnight at their facility but was told it was not safe! I plan to heed their advice and stay at a nearby campground!
Congrats to you as well!
Airforceret I hope yours comes in soon! Sounds like you have quite a trip planned!
Old 03-26-2017, 01:32 AM   #13

THOR #6414
You could be pleasantly surprised and get to bring it home. Our 2013 Cougar 280RLS came home with us with no issues. We had a couple things crop up later that got fixed under warranty. Our 2011 Palomino only needed a gas regulator during the PDI and they swapped that out while we waited, and our 2006 Lance 9SC needed a power jack motor which had to be ordered, and our 2000 Starcraft 26 ft travel trailer had no issues ever... and our 1995 Starcraft had no issues ever... The forums can sometimes make you feel like everything is junk but they make literally thousands of these things every year. Good luck with the PDI...
Old 03-26-2017, 01:37 AM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
THOR #121
Just picked up a new one today. They had a service tech walk through the unit with us. All of the systems were checked three time found nothing wrong at this time
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:11 AM   #15

THOR #6203
fhenn that's very reassuring! I hope to be as lucky!
I can't bring mine home on Thursday even if everything checks out perfectly, due to coordinating with my family to help with the shuttling! They can't help me until Saturday but I can't wait that long to see it! :-)
Old 03-27-2017, 01:57 AM   #16

State: Alabama
THOR #6920
Picked up mine Friday, did the walk thru with a service tech, was waiting for excuse of cold weather for not wanting water in the system, was surprised he had water in the tank, water heater on, had a nightlight to test outlets, scratch on the cabinet door was all we came up with and he had touch up stain, done and gone same night so keep your hopes up!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:06 AM   #17

THOR #6203
Kave Dweller congrats on your new MH. I hope mine goes as well as yours!
I'm counting the days!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:12 AM   #18

THOR #6414
I sent my sales guy an email tonight asking if he can try to make delivery Tues or Thurs. It's done ... they just need to go down the street and pick it up! I only live 8 miles from where they are built here in Indiana... I reminded him we are leaving on Apr 6th and would like to have one weekend to get it loaded. Been a long time since mid January when they cashed the deposit check! lol

I'm optimistic your PDI will go well and you will have it home soon! Maybe we'll see you out on the road!
Old 03-27-2017, 02:59 AM   #19

THOR #6203
Airforceret you're so lucky to live that close to the factory ! I wish I could be the one to put the first miles on my coach. I've always heard that the first 1000 miles are critical I breaking in a engine! That may or may not be true but it seems reasonable.
Its a small world so who knows... Maybe our paths will cross one day
Safe travels
Old 03-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kave Dweller
Picked up mine Friday, did the walk thru with a service tech, was waiting for excuse of cold weather for not wanting water in the system, was surprised he had water in the tank, water heater on, had a nightlight to test outlets, scratch on the cabinet door was all we came up with and he had touch up stain, done and gone same night so keep your hopes up!
When we picked up our Axis it was the middle of Feb 10F-20F outside. They had the coach inside their heated service bay filled with water to show us all the faucets worked, hot water, etc. The tech then proceeded to show us how to winterize it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl
Airforceret you're so lucky to live that close to the factory ! I wish I could be the one to put the first miles on my coach. I've always heard that the first 1000 miles are critical I breaking in a engine! That may or may not be true but it seems reasonable.
Its a small world so who knows... Maybe our paths will cross one day
Safe travels
Unfortunately RV's are driven from the factory to the dealer. Which means that the initial break in period may have already been done by the transporter instead of the final owner (seeing as your a bit away from the factory you'll probably encounter this as well).

The good news with the V-10, though, is that it really isn't broken in fully until about 8,000-10,000 miles. Somewhere in that range is when you'll notice a slight uptick in the mpg figures (I've noticed this on the past 3 V-10's we've owned).