Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2021, 04:07 PM   #1

State: California
THOR #19288
Quality control

Very disappointed in the quality of our coach. Every trip there something falling off the coach. This trip the sliding bath room door track fell out of the ceiling. The last trip drawer under bunk front came off. The wall paper in the corners all over the coach is rolling off. For the money we spent this is really bad. Any time we take it in for some kind of service its there a month. For a Quantum 31f this hgt as been a very bad choice. So I'm asking were is the quality control. I can send pics if needed. Now to pick up the bath door.

Old 02-15-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
So I'm guessing you've moved past the TV problem? Was there a solution?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:38 PM   #3

THOR #19288
Oh hell no still no cable have over the air but no cable. The problems are numerous from short linoleum in the bedroom to wallpaper rolling off the walls in the corners to hard wood trim falling off f rd on short staples. Every trip something falls off . And we paid over 100 thousand for this. With only 4000 miles on the clock.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Your best Quality Control; will always be a super thorough PDI.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:03 PM   #5

THOR #19288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Your best Quality Control; will always be a super thorough PDI.
Explain pdi
Old 02-15-2021, 10:10 PM   #6

THOR #19288
I've tried to call thor but because of covid no one ever calls you back. And the dealer Mike Thompson rv is basically useless and the coach sits there for 30 days. We've made 13 small outings since last march and every trip I'm fixing something. From drawer latches short staples in the wood work from no vent to the outside for the convection oven. For something my wife to live in I beginning to think not. We thor because we had 2 previous trailers and they were excellent but too small. Were older now and hooking and unhooking is getting a little much. But I'll keep fixing but at this point I wouldn't recommend thor to anyone and their dealers.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:14 PM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
You found it at pdi, or you own it.
You haven't described a full days work for a mediocre handyman and $500 worth of quatersawn oak or real cherry wood and automotive wrap. Small investment will cure it All and make it to your likings, not the settlement of some cardboard house designers budgetary restrictions.

We can help you fix it all but you must participate.

We all paid the same or close to it+-.

Selling is maybe the best path to happiness.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:34 PM   #8

THOR #19288
What the hell. Yes I can fix it all it's the fact that short staples short screws short linoleum no vent no stove igniter wallpaper rolling off. Sure I can fix it all but for 100 thousand dollars and only 4000 miles but why should I. Quality control should have let this unit leave the factory. Being involved in product quality and line production I would have let this unit tarnish the name of Thor. So yes it all will be fixed by me . But I said I will not recommend thor to anyone or its dealers. And I hope Thor sees these threads maybe someone is over covid enough to call me.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:57 PM   #9

THOR #13932
Your demeanor does not make a call something to relish.
Here's a bet.
Change your tune, get a call.

A month in the shop to replace bottom line linoleum with more bottom line linoleum,
Or beautiful wood floor in a day.

I'll take the custom wood and not be penny/pound.

My stove isn't missing an igniter, the stove isn't equipped for an igniter.
I knew this by trying the stove before I bought the rv.

Old 02-15-2021, 11:33 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm sorry that you're so upset. How much research did you do; before buying the RV?
Old 02-15-2021, 11:35 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Thor (and other RV manufacturers) have no Quality Control/Quality Assurance program at the factory.

Dealers have no delivery inspection.

The only quality control is on the buyer, when he does his Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI).

Of course some things break after delivery - it's a house on wheels going through an extended earthquake everytime you roll down the road.

Lots of things would stay together if the builders used all the nails and screws they are supposed to and installed them properly. Unfortunately, the pressure to get the build down the line in a timely manner precludes most attention to detail and pride in workmanship.

Such is the status that the consumer is willing to put up with to get that "deal" at the lowest possible price.

You can either let the kettle boil over everytime you see a problem, or
Sell the RV ASAP to avoid future boilovers, or
Fix what you are capable of yourself (and know it's done right) and let someone more knowledgeable fix the rest. Options include mobile RV mechanics and/or a trip to the factory repair shop where they will fix everything on your list (and then some) before you leave the premises.

This is not today's car industry.
This is equivalent to the 60s car industry which almost went bust before they got their act together. In that case there were alternatives from overseas. There is no pressure to change at this time.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 11:39 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
You get no quality control with Thor and you won't get much sympathy from some of the users here either. However, do notice there are a number of users here that have dumped their Thor for another brand. Ours has been a POS from day one and I've changed my tune from nice and kind, to hateful who gives a rats ... well you know the rest. You may or may not get some resolution from Thor but your best chance of getting any notable service would be if you can get it into their shop in Indiana at the factory. They have a select number of openings usually starting when the weather breaks and throughout the year. My 2018 already has numerous areas of water damage, much of which occurred in the first year due to no quality control. My list is several pages long of crap gone wrong, and thousands of dollars of out of pocket expenses. You'll hear numerous rants about PDI PDI PDI... mostly BS. Mine passed the PDI BS on day one, and on day two crap started falling apart and rotting. Sadly Thor buys products with good brand loyalty then turns them into garbage brands. I love mine and drive it like I stole it. It's been all around the country and has like 27000 miles but every trip I pretty much expect something to fall off or be rotted out and need replacing. This spring I already know that my junk propane tank made in Mexico will have to be replaced as it leaks now and doesn't hold propane. Lucky it didn't explode last fall when we smelled propane around the campfire. I really expect the roof to be leaking again too since the Dicor regularly blows off while driving.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:45 PM   #13

THOR #19288
Yes there an inspection. And yes notes were taken does Bill's written and the thing that were deficient at that time taken care of. T
Yes research done on the various brands and Thor had the least complaints. The rub is that with only 4000 miles the issues I have NOW should have surfaced with much more use on the coach. So you trolls dont try get me any more upset with this thing . I'll say thanks for your input . Gave a great day.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:03 AM   #14

THOR #13932
Blocked
Good luck

Old 02-16-2021, 01:51 AM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
You are not the first upset owner and unfortunately you will not be the last. I concur a PDI isn't going to find all the issues in a new MH or TT. Since Covid, RV's are selling like hotcakes and the push to get them out the door has made what little QC they did do almost non existent. This isn't a Thor specific problem I have heard about QC issues on other coach's as well. (our last coach a Gulfstream was a constant fix or repair something every trip too)
They do have you on the roof leaking though. The roof is only warranted for 90 days. It is the owners responsibility to inspect the Dicor on a regular basis and re-caulk as needed.
I realize none of this is much consolation after dropping the kind of coin that is a new motrorhome.
Most dealers service departments suck! If at all possible get the coach to their factory service center in Wakarusa those people will make it right. If that's not possible find an independent RV shop or mobile tech to take care of your issues. If the coach is still on warranty they can contact Thor and Thor will work with them.
Thor or any other RV manufacturer wants their customers satisfied and will go out of the way to try to help. Others on this forum have had Thor send them parts to effect repairs on coach's that weren't even under warranty.
I suspect your frustration might be coming out in your e-mails or voice mails to Thor? Nobody is ever in too large a hurry to call back an irate customer, that is only human nature.
I hope you get your issues resolved to your satisfaction and can get back to enjoying your coach.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:58 PM   #16

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
There are very well made, good quality control, brands out there. Here's a few: Leisure Travel Vans, Lazy Daze, Coach House. There are others.

They cost a lot more though. Building an RV is a very labor-intensive process. Labor costs money. Taking the time to build things just so, inspect, make adjustments and fixes, takes time and more labor, and adds to the cost. So, the basic choice is: Choose a low cost brand (Thor) knowing that you'll probably have to fix and adjust some things and hope for the best, or choose one of the much higher cost brands known for quality out the door (there are other high cost brands that aren't ...) and hopefully get what you paid for.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #17

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I came into this forum from another manufacturer that I had a terrible time with the first 18 months and that included the dealership. That other manufacturer is well known and been in the industry over 80 years. I traded it in (after fixing everything twice) for a Thor and have never looked back. Yes I have a different attitude after what I went through the first time around. I found that getting the right dealership made a huge difference. Thor has been great when ever I had a need to call them. I am very happy with my Thor motor home.

Paul
Old 02-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
A few years ago I had Thor authorize a mobile tech for a slide issue during the shakedown cruise on our Challenger. When talking to the mobile tech he informed me that even the million dollar rigs have their problems. One thing he stressed is that the manufacturers of the million dollar rigs are more willing to pay for a mobile tech than the lower end manufacturers and that is why you rarely hear about the problems with those rigs. Some of the higher end rigs are bigger nightmares because of all of the incorporated technology issues they possess.

I will again ask the question, if it is poor or non-existent quality control to which written, published and accepted quality standard are they not complying. There is no such thing as Quality Control unless there is a quality standard to which you apply the controls.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:14 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That's right: I had a Tiffin Zephyr parked near me oncd, and it had awnings that weren't extending.
Stuff happens... You either roll with the punches; or you get out of the game.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 02:29 PM   #20

THOR #19288
Ya know guys I hear all of you . But it's a matter of pride. Where is it . Made in America used to mean something. Where is the craftmenship?.Linoleum cut shot wallpaper not glued all the way short screws and staples.WTF. I'm 70 years old brought up on doing the job right what ever it takes
The boss give you crap to install you give it back. My name went on this bring in the good stuff. I understand broken mechanical parts but come on guys some of this is really stupid. Just in the name of profit. Comeon.