Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Industry Towables - Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels > General Discussion - Thor Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2021, 12:05 AM   #1

Brand: KZ RV
Model: Venture Stratus SR261VRL
State: Texas
THOR #7966
Water Heater question

We have a new KZ Venture Stratus and I need someone to look at the attached photo and tell me which direction these water heater water line valves are turned. The PDI tech where we got the trailer had no idea as it was only his 3rd day on the job and the manual is no help either. We took delivery of the trailer right before the Arctic Freeze that hit a few weeks back and they had drained and winterized the trailer when we picked it up so there was no way for us to test the plumbing systems.

I'm not sure which way they need to be for normal operation, but we're getting ready to head out on our maiden voyage and obviously need hot water. There is a top line marked hot and a bottom marked cold and each has its own valve. It seems that no matter which way they are turned that there is water in the heater because when I lift up on the pressure relief valve water shoots out. I've had the electric water heater switch turned on for three hours and the water coming out of the faucets is not even warm. You can also see a red and blue line that are running down to the back side of the water heater but I'm not really sure what those go to - perhaps exterior drain lines?

This is a brand new trailer and I'm guessing that the water heater has never been turned on except when they tested it at the factory. I'm hoping that there are other KZ owners on here that have a similar setup and know how it's supposed to work.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	29109  

Old 03-14-2021, 01:03 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
That should be normal use. Have you cracked the pressure relief valve to make sure the tank is full and the water is hot.

The electric side of our water heater did not work when new and they replaced the unit under warranty. It did work using propane.
Old 03-14-2021, 01:39 AM   #3

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Once you get water in the heater until you drain the tank their will always be some pressure on the relief valve. My set up is not like yours, but the white line is the bypass line. Both valves need to be open to the white line for the heater to be bypassed. Conversely, both valves need to be closed to the white line for water to go into the tank.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 02:54 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Does this help?

So the valves are in the correct position in your picture for the water to flow through the heater.

So now, is your water heater working?

Can you hear it trying to light? Can you hear the flame when it's running?
If the electric heating element (If so equipped) was turned on when the water heater was winterized, it was probably burned open and needs to be replaced.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:44 AM   #5

THOR #7966
Thanks for everyone's feedback and suggestions. I got the hot water heater to fire up using propane and once it had cut off I knew that I had hot water in the tank so I began opening faucets in an attempt to see if it would flow out. It never did so I went back to the water heater hoses and turned both the hot and cold valves 90° and the hot water immediately started coming out. So, I guess that the valve positions that are shown in the photo must have been in some type of bypass position - water would go into the water heater but wouldn't come out. What would be the purpose of even having those valves there - why would I want to bypass the water heater?

Also, I found out that the interior switch for the electric power to the water heater was turned on but there is also a switch mounted onto the exterior of the water heater and it was turned off. I turned the gas switch off and after all the water has a chance to cool down in the water heater overnight, I will turn on both of those switches to make sure that it also works on electric. Again, thanks for everyone's help.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:12 PM   #6

THOR #7966
Latest update...

Electric works on the water heater so everything is good to go.