Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2021, 11:13 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDZU50 View Post
I'm not that brave to take a trip like that. The roads are gravel in Canada!
The trip to Alaska is not for everyone. As Ducky says, it's miles and miles and miles of nothing but spectacular scenery. And the gas prices are much higher in Canada. Probably about $4.00 to $4.50 per gallon with all the conversions.

I live in the Yukon and have driven that highway at least 20 times. I can assure you the roads in Canada are not all gravel. In fact, only about a 50 mile section through Muncho Lake is gravel. The first time we drove it in 1986, about half of it was gravel. And back in the day, it was just a goat path. It's a lot better today.

With that said, it's a 2 lane highway through some remote geography. With 1400 miles of highway, there's always going to be some construction. If you plan to make the trip, take your time and enjoy the trip. If you prefer Interstates and 65 mph driving, don't even try.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:56 PM   #22

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
... and some eskimo will actually build their igloos on the road, so WATCH OUT!
Old 02-25-2021, 12:33 AM   #23
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Longest trip I took so far was to the Grand Canyon from Mississippi. Lost a hub cap in Texas. Left a Credit Card in New Mexico! Got tangled up in some sage brush in AZ. Enjoyed, Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest. At the Grand Canyon me & my wife were the only Americans; the rest of the mob were Foreigners getting of buses. Bust my rear at a creek on a slippery rock. Had a get time & would do it again in a heart beat. Seem like the older I get (70) the more hesitant I become.
We are OLDer than you...and have had many fantastic adventures the last 56 years ! We LOVE Colorado, Utah and Arizona..and my home State of New Mexico. We have been all over those States....off the beaten path. If you have not been to Utah...you should make the trip ! We are hoping to get on the road in April or May .. heading to FLORIDA to see family...take our time as we have a number of spots we like to spend time at on the way down...then, we will go to NM and Colorado during the summer...we are getting our 2nd vaccine shot tomorrow...yay !
STAY SAFE ! and HAVE FUN !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:58 AM   #24

Model: Axis 24.1
State: California
THOR #19236
Alaska

Hi All,
We have driven to Alaska twice—2004 and 2010. I wrote a travel journal for the 2010 trip. Hopefully you can find it here if you’re inclined:
My Trip Journal is the website—noodle around for WhereIsTheBus—2010 The Alaskan Frontier.
IMHO every RVer should drive to Alaska at least once. Plan on 3 months. Be on the way home by Labor Day. Go with another rig or two or three. Too much fun!
Ken
Old 02-25-2021, 01:45 AM   #25

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebus25 View Post
My Trip Journal is the website—noodle around for WhereIsTheBus—2010 The Alaskan Frontier.
I noodled for awhile and found nothing by that title, can you post the link please?
Old 02-25-2021, 01:51 AM   #26

Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
My wife and I were supposed to go on an Alaskan RV caravan tour last summer, but it was cancelled due to covid. Our trip was moved to this summer, so we are hoping Canada will be open and we can go. The tour group we are using has been doing these since 1996. They do two tours per year and take 18 - 22 RVs each time. The fees cover all of the campgrounds in Alaska, all of the excursions (except a handful), some of the meals, etc. This particular tour group gets great reviews and many participants become life long friends.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:55 AM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Which Tour Group are you using?
Old 02-25-2021, 02:00 AM   #28

Model: Axis 24.1
THOR #19236
Alaska

Hi oldWEB,
http://www.mytripjournal.com/WhereIsTheBus-2010

Good Luck
Ken
Old 02-25-2021, 02:01 AM   #29

Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
Alaskan Discovery RV Tours, Ltd.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:43 AM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks!
Old 02-25-2021, 04:07 AM   #31

Model: 23TB
State: Illinois
THOR #9509
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyles@gentzfinancial.com View Post
In the next couple years we'd like to drive our RV to Alaska. Assuming they open the border.

Would like to caravan with other RVs.
Have it all mapped out including stops and where to stay.
Ideas?

Thanks
I did the ALCAN Highway two summers ago (BC). I was going to join a commercial tour (caravan), but decided to go by myself. This turned out to be the right decision for me because of significant problems that arose in my motorhome engine. It turned out to be the (diesel) fuel filter. The dealerships did a superb job and I had a great time in BC ( not to be confused with BC ) and the Yukon (Whitehorse is awesome) and Disneyworld (Alaska in the summertime). If I did it again, I might opt to join a tour. So nothing against them. But, you can do it by yourself safely and with confidence. So, go for it.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:13 AM   #32
MLP

THOR #17478
We have been to Alaska three time via cruse ship and love Alaska. We wanted to drive up, but my wife's lungs became a medical problem. Lymphangioleomyomatosis or LAM for short. She need oxygen for anything over 3500 ft. So all the plans and mapping turned into a time wasting exercise. Just remember on a cruse ship the average weight gain is two pounds per day. It has gut to be the crapy food!
Old 02-25-2021, 04:17 AM   #33

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Thor Caravan 2022 Whos in????
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:24 AM   #34

Model: 2015 Citation 24ST
State: Idaho
THOR #21855
We did the Alaska road trip in June-July 2019, from Idaho, most of it along the Alcan Highway. Our "RV" was just my husband's Ford E250 work panel van, which he fixed up a little so we could have a bed. Could not stand up nor any place to sit except front seat. Comfort at it's finest!
But it worked!

What we did see was absolutely stunning! Way too much beauty to begin to express the endless scenery, interesting places, history, people and more.
We loved the Yukon and we saw 27 bears along this stretch...and saw no bears in Alaska!

However, we had a little unfortunate luck on this road trip. Fortunately nothing major, as I know what could go wrong can go really wrong.

Ours happened to be running into fire smoke just as we came up to the Alaska border. Unbeknownst to us, Alaska was basically on fire. There were over 100 fires going on.

Long story short, we spent much of our time trying to dodge the fire smoke so we could see the mountains & scenery that were supposed to be around us. When we didn't have fire smoke, we had fog or rain. We called it our "Fokey" trip, an acronym for "Fog, smOKe, RainEY"! Had to make fun of it somehow! We only had somewhat clear skies for about 20% of our 6 week trip.

Add to the weather, again unbeknownst to us, we were on the same roads about the same time as that story broke of the two teen boys who had murdered a young couple in a van parked off the side of the road south of Liard Hot Springs, BC. We had been in that same area just days before, boondocking on the side of the road. When we finally got cell reception, a friend had informed us. Yikes!

So this situation had me on edge during the next several nights!

Too much information, but long story somewhat shortened........
We didn't see much of what we thought we would, which gives us an excuse to do it again! Would we?? Absolutely, we can't wait to travel to Alaska again in comfort now that we have a real RV!

I'm happy to share more or answer any questions about our trip! I will try to link a google photo album, in case anyone is interested.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:22 AM   #35

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
We did our own caravan of 5 motorhomes in 2016 to Alaska and back. Spent one month going, one month in Alaska, and one month on the way home. There is a lot to see in Canada so be sure and go when you can spend some time there. I would recommend you organize your own small caravan, even if there are only two RV's it will give you a lot of flexibility with the comfort of not being totally alone in the wilderness. And believe me there is a lot of wilderness. We took a 14 day commercial caravan in 2014 thru Montana and Wyoming just to experience what it was like. We loved the camaraderie of all the folks on the trip and still have some of them as friends. The problem we found was the caravan schedule was to fast paced for us and we prefer our Southern style of take it slow and easy.

Bob
Old 02-25-2021, 12:54 PM   #36

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Thor Caravan 2022 Whos in????
I say yes, north to Alaska! DW says not with "her" MC, so the discussions continue, yet I'm losing! I'm not sure what it will cost me to convince her it's the right thing to do!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #37
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck and Mary Ann View Post
I say yes, north to Alaska! DW says not with "her" MC, so the discussions continue, yet I'm losing! I'm not sure what it will cost me to convince her it's the right thing to do!
For starters: Divorce Lawyers are WAY too expensive...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #38

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Long long long road trip up into Alaska? Heck I’m in. I’ll take the mother in law and come back without her and tell a story about the bear that ate her.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:11 PM   #39

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
Alaska , BC and the Yukon are once, maybe twice in a lifetime RV trips. In general the roads are good but you are not going to be doing 60 miles and hour unless you want your rig to fall apart. The scenery and the wildlife are outstanding and you just have to be aware the whole time while driving, a dash cam is very handy to have.
We met up with a few of the large caravans and speaking with the people they enjoyed how everything was arranged and did not have to worry where they would be staying on a given day.
Roads are OK and Canada `s roads are not gravel and most of the Alcan are paved save where there is construction and there was a fair bit when we were there in 2019.
The Milepost and Camping in Alaska were are go to reference books, with the Milepost a must have, buy the latest edition as things change from year to year. We also had Good Sam directory and camping books from all of the provinces and territories (they are free just order them through the government websites)
Its worth the trip
Coveman2
2018 Compas 3 TB
PS All in we did 16,000 miles, to and from home
Old 02-25-2021, 03:45 PM   #40

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
For starters: Divorce Lawyers are WAY too expensive...
oh, so so true!

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote