Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2021, 03:51 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
Alaska , BC and the Yukon are once, maybe twice in a lifetime RV trips. In general the roads are good but you are not going to be doing 60 miles and hour unless you want your rig to fall apart. The scenery and the wildlife are outstanding and you just have to be aware the whole time while driving, a dash cam is very handy to have.
We met up with a few of the large caravans and speaking with the people they enjoyed how everything was arranged and did not have to worry where they would be staying on a given day.
Roads are OK and Canada `s roads are not gravel and most of the Alcan are paved save where there is construction and there was a fair bit when we were there in 2019.
The Milepost and Camping in Alaska were are go to reference books, with the Milepost a must have, buy the latest edition as things change from year to year. We also had Good Sam directory and camping books from all of the provinces and territories (they are free just order them through the government websites)
Its worth the trip
Coveman2
2018 Compas 3 TB
PS All in we did 16,000 miles, to and from home
One of my other Bucket list trips is across Canada - Quebec to Vancouver. Sounds like that's the path you took! I played some beer league hockey charity tournaments across Canada when I was with the US Postal Service, playing against the Canada Post teams - great fun, good friendships, and excellent venues. We are thinking about the Trans Canada Railway, but that leaves the MC at the starting point. It's a ways from NC, but still Doable in my opinion and DW is ok with that one when the border opens for tourists

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:39 PM   #42

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Alaska

We have RV'd Alaska several times BUT as working stiffs we fly to Alaska and rent an RV there. Each time the rental units were in great condition and two years or less old. I have convinced my DH that we camp first than relax by cruising back to the mainland! Alaska by RV is MUCH different than Alaska by Cruise (unless you are on a small cruise ship which can get closer to shore than the current large ships). Nothing on board a ship compares to having eagles fly less than 2 ft above your coach to fish in the river out your back window, then fly back with successful catch wiggling in its talons. Or watching sea otters float past your site. Or waking up to Moose and mooseling eating the flower bushes on your site.... You get the picture. We have camped the Kenai peninsula, the Anchorage/Denali/Fairbanks loop, and the Anchorage/Klondike/Yukon down to Skagway. Lots of great views, hikes, and remote areas. We drove for hours on paved roads (the roads were fine, better than many of the states we have been in, but do watch for the flags warning of frost heaves ahead) without seeing another vehicle. We did see lots of bears on the highways--walking in the road, sometimes licking the patches on the road for salt. Parked and flew to the city formerly known as Barrow (northernmost city in US) to see the midnight sun (also did that in March to see the aurora, it was -26 degrees brrrr). Absolutely love Alaska, visit every 3-5 years. Must haves: satellite phone (you can rent in Alaska and online and have it shipped to you)and current Milepost (which is available digitally to save trees). Don't forget the bug spray. They grown em bigger in Alaska!

Was hoping to do the Canada route this summer, but with Canadian vaccine supply limited it is not looking like the border will be open.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #43

State: Alaska
THOR #22016
Alaska family here! TOTE maritime usually puts out a special around this time for you to ship your rig for a discount if you want to see Alaska this summer. We are learning it’s very expensive to get home (picking our new rig up in Florida next week), and very cheap getting back to the lower 48!

We love RV-ing in our state! Homer, Seward, Hope, Valdez, Whittier, Talkeetna, and random places along the road with pretty views are our must do’s. We also try to get up to Fairbanks in the summer too once or twice.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:18 PM   #44

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
On my bucket list. Thinking 3-4 years out.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:27 AM   #45

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebus25 View Post
Thank you Sir! Very interesting!
Old 02-28-2021, 01:01 PM   #46

State: Texas
THOR #20920
Alaska bucket list

From Alaska, retired in Texas. Consider this:
1) Fly to Juneau, spend Three days, stay at the Baranoff hotel. Rent a car, parking at the Baranoff, directly behind the hotel. Walk around the town, drive the area, Mendenhall Glacier by the airport, Auke Lake, Auke Bay further out the road, Shine of Saint Terese. You can’t get lost and will love it.
2) Then, fly from Juneau to Anchorage, stay at the Captain Cook Hotel or the Hilton, both downtown. Get a room about 10 floors up, facing North to have a great view of Denali, weather permitting. Rent a car, drive North to the Park, drive South to Seward and Homer. Lots to see. Go to the museum, zoo. Get brochures. Eat dinner at the Double Musky in Girdwood, on the way to Seward and Homer.
You’ll have a great and safe time. Best time to go, Mid May to end of September, colors out in September, my favorite time! Bring camera.
Old 02-28-2021, 02:43 PM   #47

Brand: DRV
Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
I can't speak to the experience of driving to Alaska and back as we've never done that, nor are we likely to do so. Back in 2005, we did an Alaskan cruise and land tour with Royal Caribbean. It was a great trip overall, but we wouldn't do it again.

Main reason to not repeat it for me is because as a photographer, I couldn't see and photograph areas of the Inside Passage at night. Six of us were on that trip and the consensus after the trip was that if we did it again, we would fly up from the lower 48 and either rent a car and use hotels/motels or rent an RV while there.

While I'm sure that Canada is beautiful, I'm not sure I want to travel it in an RV. I'm not so sure one could stop as they wanted to and take pictures. And, I take a LOT of pictures.

Terry
Terry and Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #48

Model: Palazzo 36.1
THOR #13712
Thanks for that assessment - good information to consider

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #49

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post
I can't speak to the experience of driving to Alaska and back as we've never done that, nor are we likely to do so. Back in 2005, we did an Alaskan cruise and land tour with Royal Caribbean. It was a great trip overall, but we wouldn't do it again.

Main reason to not repeat it for me is because as a photographer, I couldn't see and photograph areas of the Inside Passage at night. Six of us were on that trip and the consensus after the trip was that if we did it again, we would fly up from the lower 48 and either rent a car and use hotels/motels or rent an RV while there.

While I'm sure that Canada is beautiful, I'm not sure I want to travel it in an RV. I'm not so sure one could stop as they wanted to and take pictures. And, I take a LOT of pictures.

Terry
We have driven to Alaska and back and we stopped many times in Canada just to take photos. Sometimes we took side trips. You do not have to drive to Alaska to see Canada and there are many things to see without going into the Yukon. For example, if you have not been to the Canadian Rockies you are missing out on some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. Here is an example of what you might see on the Icefield Parkway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lake on Icefield Parkway.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	28853  
Old 03-23-2021, 07:08 PM   #50

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #22115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebus25 View Post
Thanks for the link! I am part way through and will slow down and absorb - I just wanted to thank you for sharing your adventure!!!
Old 03-23-2021, 11:35 PM   #51

State: Texas
THOR #20920
You’re welcome.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #52

State: Arkansas
THOR #25508
Alaska

Hello,
We are hoping to RV to Alaska next spring or summer, ( 2022)
and would welcome fellow RVers on the drive.
We have 2 trip experience, and for a third, are looking for others who want to make the drive.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:28 PM   #53

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
FredandSue: Did Alaska in 2019 and would love to go back but already have plans for Route 66 for next year. Its a great drive and make sure you get a new version of The Milepost , its invaluable, we also used Good Sam`s Campground Directory and the Alaska tour books from CAA (AAA in the US) and did a lot of research on the internet and youtube (KYD and Pau Hana were good sites). Our trip in total was 23,000 KM`s. and also went up to Yellowknife in the North West Territories,
Good Luck and safe travels
Coveman2
Old 12-05-2021, 06:35 PM   #54

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Our plans have changed. We are now planning to do Alaska in 2023.

Hopefully we can get some of this group to join to make our own caravan

Sometime next year I'll start a new thread for planning and info gathering

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:50 PM   #55

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
FredandSue: Did Alaska in 2019 and would love to go back but already have plans for Route 66 for next year. Its a great drive and make sure you get a new version of The Milepost , its invaluable, we also used Good Sam`s Campground Directory and the Alaska tour books from CAA (AAA in the US) and did a lot of research on the internet and youtube (KYD and Pau Hana were good sites). Our trip in total was 23,000 KM`s. and also went up to Yellowknife in the North West Territories,
Good Luck and safe travels
Coveman2
We did route 66 a few years ago. Enjoyed it very much. Stopped in Winslow Arizona and took photos with the statues they have on the square and there really is a flat bed Ford sitting right there to bend you mind back to a time when you listened to the life tunes of the Eagles "Take it Easy. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/7CV_dLvZmRY
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:20 PM   #56

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstringer View Post
From Alaska, retired in Texas. Consider this:
1) Fly to Juneau, spend Three days, stay at the Baranoff hotel. Rent a car, parking at the Baranoff, directly behind the hotel. Walk around the town, drive the area, Mendenhall Glacier by the airport, Auke Lake, Auke Bay further out the road, Shine of Saint Terese. You can’t get lost and will love it.
2) Then, fly from Juneau to Anchorage, stay at the Captain Cook Hotel or the Hilton, both downtown. Get a room about 10 floors up, facing North to have a great view of Denali, weather permitting. Rent a car, drive North to the Park, drive South to Seward and Homer. Lots to see. Go to the museum, zoo. Get brochures. Eat dinner at the Double Musky in Girdwood, on the way to Seward and Homer.
You’ll have a great and safe time. Best time to go, Mid May to end of September, colors out in September, my favorite time! Bring camera.
Great idea. Alaska was in my sales territory at one time. Best meal in Anchorage was Jen's. Would fly from Seattle to Anchorage and Juneau: what a view from the right side of the plane. Glacier colors can never be captured by film or video. What a wonderful state.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote