Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2021, 08:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Omni sv34
State: Minnesota
THOR #20471
Alaska

In the next couple years we'd like to drive our RV to Alaska. Assuming they open the border.

Would like to caravan with other RVs.
Have it all mapped out including stops and where to stay.
Ideas?

Thanks

Old 02-18-2021, 08:26 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
The border was open for US citizens traveling from the lower 48 to Alaska through Canada this past summer? Did Canada close it again?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:36 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It sounds like a rolling Block Party!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:45 PM   #4

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
The border is open for non optional reasons. I doubt travel would qualify. Everyone - including Canadians who are returning - must have a negative Covid test within the past 72 hours AND go into quarantine for 14 days.
Travel between the lower 48 and Alaska is a bit different - but the travel must be for non optional reasons - like moving. And the rules are such that I doubt it would be much fun. You can check for updates here - https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr.../border#alaska
Old 02-19-2021, 12:23 AM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There are companies who specialize in exactly what you want to do.
I've seen prices up to $18,000 to join the caravan.
I'm sure there are less expensive ones.
It takes minimal research to find one of the caravans , their agenda and dates.

There is a secret about an Alaska trip.
Some people find it a too long trip featuring green walls and blue ceiling interupted only by shaggy tiny very very expensive towns on bad roads.

The opinions of others might not match your experience. Instead of trip snippets of good times, ask what they did 90% of the time.

Some do not find it terrifyingly stupifying.
Some do.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:44 AM   #6

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
We are eventually hoping to do the same. Still working on putting the details together, but would be interested in finding a few compatible travelers to form an informal small caravan.

We're not interested in one of those more expensive, totally organized concierge type caravans. I like to do my own planning. Our major interest is visiting as many of the National Parks as possible (though we are probably not quite brave enough to attempt roads like the Haul Road/Dalton Hwy.) Boondocking and budget travel suits us just fine.

Maybe via PM or some state-side meet ups we could get to know others with the same dream. We'd be coming out of northern Michigan, so if there are other mid-westerners who are interested, let's get in touch.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:05 AM   #7

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Duckface, have you done the Alaska road trip? If so, what was your reaction. Open for hints on the good, bad, or the ugly.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #8

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwife View Post
Duckface, have you done the Alaska road trip? If so, what was your reaction. Open for hints on the good, bad, or the ugly.

Often the story is in the space between the words and the words are simply outriggers and rungs and scaffold.

Read reviews and wonder where the 5,000 untold miles went to.

Same with Australia.
Wonder what the pictures aren't of.

Some here were incredibly angry, like I'd slapped the pope or something, upon my last review of a bucket lust item.
So I'll bow out.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:30 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Good Sam, Fantasy Tours and FCMA RV caravans are the best known but expect to spend about $10,000 for 2 people and 50 days. If you are a vet, SMART caravans are about 25% cheaper.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:51 PM   #10

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Been to Alaska on a cruise ship & would go again in a minute the same way! It would be the Land/Sea cruise next time though! Probably cheaper than driving.
As for driving or hauling a rv up there never sounded appealing to us & from the stories friends that have made the journey didn't make us want to go.
Most say diesel is hard to find & VERY expensive, plan to buy at least one tire for rv &/or vehicle, & hopefully have vehicle glass coverage from your insurance.
While on our cruise we stopped at several of the ports that had rv sites nearby, DW said she wanted to camp "right there" at several of those spots followed by "but I don't want to drive there!".
Hopefully your trip plan comes true, but to be honest I won't envy your travels!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:36 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Having been there, though it was hauling my pop-up behind my trike, I found it to be an enjoyable trip. Fuel is always expensive once you get across the US-Canada border.

I was doing laundry in Whitehorse, YT (2116) and chatted with a man and wife team. They said they had an RV in California but were using a rental RV they picked up in Anchorage. Said they wished they had thought to do that on several previous trips to Alaska and Canada. Mentioned the rental cost/fuel cost vs round trip airfare was a "wash" but not enduring the long hours on the road was worth it as they will have an extra 2 weeks for visiting "the sites".

"And my RV will be in great shape for Stateside trips" was his parting words.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 12:38 AM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I love my RV and traveling in it. But I’m with the “take an Alaska cruise” crowd. I took such a cruise with my family a number of years ago and it was a truly wonderful experience. We departed from Seattle and an RV trip through Montana with maybe a few short trips into Canada along the way would do the trick for us.
Old 02-21-2021, 06:50 PM   #13

Model: Gemini
State: Alabama
THOR #7475
We also were dreaming of taking a trip to Alaska. For us in central Illinois , a trip like that at 300 miles a day would be about 2 mounths long. Maybe even longer ,with 2-3 day stops. So.., traveling in a caravan sounds intriguing. I would be interested in the details.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:06 PM   #14

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
It's a bucket list trip for me to mh through the state. Maria and I have been on 3 cruises there and ill be doing my 3rd fishing trip there in August.

I looked into those caravans and don't think they are worth it for several reasons. They have a schedule. You can leave them and rejoin but I'd rather do my own thing. Plan to stay put several days at a time to explore in the jeep and of course find time to fish.

The $10000+ for a caravan pays for a lot of gas food and costs. Caravan price includes the campsites and a few meals. Also some sightseeing trips. But again that 10k would pay for that and more. Campsites can be $25 and up many are partial hook ups but dump stations can be found if needed

I'd buy the alaska mile marker book and semi plan the trip

I've followed several people who posted daily on their trip. Key is don't be in a hurry, be flexible and enjoy

I'd be game to join a thor caravan. There is strength in numbers and many knowledge people here to help each other if problems come up. Plus we'll make life time friends and memories

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:18 PM   #15

THOR #13932
I'd do a thor caravan.
We might make hard right wwaaaayyy up there in search of the northern lights.
We'd come and go, travel at night to catch up, wait for the group if we got ahead.
And
We have a winch and recovery equipment for when one of us hits a moose and needs pulled out of a ditch.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:37 AM   #16

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I'd do a thor caravan.
We might make hard right wwaaaayyy up there in search of the northern lights.
We'd come and go, travel at night to catch up, wait for the group if we got ahead.
And
We have a winch and recovery equipment for when one of us hits a moose and needs pulled out of a ditch.
Moose burgers are good
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 07:27 PM   #17

State: Florida
THOR #14396
We've done the drive twice

and are planning to go again in a couple of years. We prefer to travel on our own so I can't tell you anything about the caravans. First and foremost, buy a current Milepost. It is invaluable for planning for food, gas stops (which can be quite far apart), places to stop and fish, lodging, photo ops, etc.

Second, there are two ways to get there, once you go into Canada - the Alaska Highway and the Cassiers. Together they are like a great circle route. We always go up one way and back the other. The Cassiers is more remote but has some wonderful scenery and some great provincial parks.

There is a whole lot of nothing in BC and Yukon, and Alaska for that matter, but it's gorgeous nothing so it's fine. The worst bits of road we encountered were the last stretch through Yukon and the Tok cutoff. When you see little flags on the side of the road, SLOW DOWN. They mean a bump or a hole. We have favorite places and some we wouldn't bother with again but it would take writing a book to share all of them without knowing what you're into. Feel free to email me at momartens15@yahoo.com if you want to chat about specifics.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #18

State: Texas
THOR #20920
ALaska

Not the best time to go, still a lot of winter left in Alaska. The Canadian border is closed to vacation and sightseeing traffic. You will have a hard time getting through unless you state another acceptable reason and then only go directly to your destination of business. I wouldn’t chance it now.
Also, Alaska has testing and quarantine requirements. It makes no difference if you’ve had the vaccinations either. Hopefully, Alaska and Canada will loosen up their restrictions by Summer. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:41 PM   #19

Model: 2015 Citation 24SR
State: Mississippi
THOR #8834
I'm not that brave to take a trip like that. The roads are gravel in Canada!
Longest trip I took so far was to the Grand Canyon from Mississippi. Lost a hub cap in Texas. Left a Credit Card in New Mexico! Got tangled up in some sage brush in AZ. Enjoyed, Meteor Crater, Petrified Forest. At the Grand Canyon me & my wife were the only Americans; the rest of the mob were Foreigners getting of buses. Bust my rear at a creek on a slippery rock. Had a get time & would do it again in a heart beat. Seem like the older I get (70) the more hesitant I become.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:50 PM   #20

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: New Jersey
THOR #10772
Fantasy Tours has a couple of trips to Alaska. I’m thinking about doing that in a couple of years.