Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2023, 02:43 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
Alaska bound?

For those members who are planning a trip to Alaska - there are several Facebook groups you may find helpful.
I like - https://www.facebook.com/groups/535465954734135/ for personal experiences.
And https://www.facebook.com/groups/412834352212649/ is a very chatty group on road conditions and closures. It's up to date. But there seems to be a bit of drama. Still, some good information.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:02 PM   #2

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
I appreciate this. We are looking at 2024 for a trip and are finding that it takes more planning than a 200 mile trip to the lake.
Old 05-22-2023, 10:06 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
From someone who has driven the ALCAN (Alaska - Canada Highway) multiple times, albeit never in an RV. Yet.

Don't even think about a trip from Outside through western Canada to Alaska without a current version of "The Milepost" at your disposal. Packed to the gills with information on places to stay, places to see, what to do, where to find fuel and services, grub .... on and on and on.

Use it to plan your trip - use it adapt to changing plans on the ALCAN - and plans ALWAYS change on the ALCAN. Information updated annually, and you can supplement with the "drama filled FB group" for late-breaking news.

Best $40 you'll ever spend to support a trip like this - https://themilepost.com/about-us/
Old 05-23-2023, 03:19 PM   #4

Model: 2022 Chateau 31W
State: Florida
THOR #24543
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post

Best $40 you'll ever spend to support a trip like this - https://themilepost.com/about-us/
Thanks for this link. Just started our planning stages for either 24 or 25.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:43 AM   #5

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
We leave Thursday and have multiple Mileposts! We are doing the 62-Day Alaska Your Way Caravan. We are heading to New Mexico first and then California, Oregon and Washington before meeting up with the Caravan on June 17.

I'll try to post a blog of the trip on here. I'm figuring 14000 miles in the coach and another 5000 in the Wrangler site seeing. We won't get back until Labor Day so we're making it a 3-month trip.
Old 05-24-2023, 01:08 AM   #6

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Hi Judge

Sounds like a great trip. Have a safe and fun time. Keep us informed of your adventures.

Paul
Old 05-24-2023, 04:22 AM   #7

THOR #13409
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
Don't even think about a trip from Outside through western Canada to Alaska without a current version of "The Milepost" at your disposal. Packed to the gills with information on places to stay, places to see, what to do, where to find fuel and services, grub .... on and on and on.

Use it to plan your trip - use it adapt to changing plans on the ALCAN - and plans ALWAYS change on the ALCAN. Information updated annually, and you can supplement with the "drama filled FB group" for late-breaking news.

There are lots of books and other resources for driving the Alcan - the milepost is by far the best. Excellent suggestion. We usually buy a new one every 4 or 5 years because they do get out of date and we drive the highway every year for the past 40 years.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:10 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 23TW
State: Alaska
THOR #14358
MilePost is the BEST

Also use the Road Conditions websites
511yukon.ca Yukon, Canada
Drivebc.ca. British Columbia, Canada
511.alberta.ca Alberta, Canada

They are the most up to date for road conditions and changes to the roads
Old 06-01-2023, 08:12 PM   #9

Model: Gemini 23TW
State: Alaska
THOR #14358
MilePost is the BEST

Also while in Alaska use:
511.alaska.gov
Old 06-02-2023, 02:05 AM   #10

THOR #13409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska View Post
Also use the Road Conditions websites
511yukon.ca Yukon, Canada
Drivebc.ca. British Columbia, Canada
511.alberta.ca Alberta, Canada

They are the most up to date for road conditions and changes to the roads
As much as I really like the Milepost - and it is great - it is not always up to date. We bought the 2013 edition this year. (We usually buy a new one every 5 years.) And as I say, it's still good. But we were surprised by the number of errors this year - lodges that were closed and have been for a couple of years at still listed. New services not listed. It's mostly very good. But it sure is not as accurate as past years. As for road conditions - these are the best, most accurate and up to date.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:34 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Maryland
THOR #10304
Need AC Voltage Monitor on AlCan Hwy

Hi, just a suggestion, we are currently at about Milepost 403 or so on the Alaska Hwy (Toad River) on Day 15 of our 2 month trip and one of the most useful items so far is a simple $10 plug in AC Voltage Monitor (Amazon-search Plug in AC Voltage Monitor for RV #DM55) that plugs into any outlet in the camper and shows you the actual voltage you are getting inside your camper from the campground pedestal.

There is also (Amazon $20 - AC Voltage and Current Monitor for Rv DROK AC260) which is what I have but it requires installing a coil around the hot lead in your transfer switch and wiring up to the meter. It then shows you the amperage you are drawing in addition to the voltage, but it is somewhat difficult for installation so the Plug-in one is fine for most.

Here is the issue - our Ace is 30 Amp, no EMS system, so we try to get a 30-amp site if it is available (choices range from 0, 15, 30), have not seen any 50's but perhaps somewhere... Plug in to 30 Amp pedestal and 120V if you don't turn anything on. Turn on 5 amps and you drop to 115V, 12 amps drops to 108V, draw 15 amps and down to 104 volts or less which is not good. So we selectively control our usage. No microwave it the coffee pot is on etc. Guy next to me has high-end coach with EMS system etc but his whole coach keeps automatically shutting off at about 108 volts and he has a hassle trying to keep it on long enough so switch on/off what he wants, he shows 96 volts inside his coach.

Anyway, just be aware that 30 amps is not always 30 Amps @ 120 volts. A voltage monitor inside your coach will be useful and suggest you be familiar with how to reduce and selectively control your current useage even if you have an EMS system.

Best Regards
Old 06-02-2023, 01:57 PM   #12

THOR #12751
Alaska bound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagnerda View Post
Hi, just a suggestion, we are currently at about Milepost 403 or so on the Alaska Hwy (Toad River) on Day 15 of our 2 month trip and one of the most useful items so far is a simple $10 plug in AC Voltage Monitor (Amazon-search Plug in AC Voltage Monitor for RV #DM55) that plugs into any outlet in the camper and shows you the actual voltage you are getting inside your camper from the campground pedestal.

There is also (Amazon $20 - AC Voltage and Current Monitor for Rv DROK AC260) which is what I have but it requires installing a coil around the hot lead in your transfer switch and wiring up to the meter. It then shows you the amperage you are drawing in addition to the voltage, but it is somewhat difficult for installation so the Plug-in one is fine for most.

Here is the issue - our Ace is 30 Amp, no EMS system, so we try to get a 30-amp site if it is available (choices range from 0, 15, 30), have not seen any 50's but perhaps somewhere... Plug in to 30 Amp pedestal and 120V if you don't turn anything on. Turn on 5 amps and you drop to 115V, 12 amps drops to 108V, draw 15 amps and down to 104 volts or less which is not good. So we selectively control our usage. No microwave it the coffee pot is on etc. Guy next to me has high-end coach with EMS system etc but his whole coach keeps automatically shutting off at about 108 volts and he has a hassle trying to keep it on long enough so switch on/off what he wants, he shows 96 volts inside his coach.

Anyway, just be aware that 30 amps is not always 30 Amps @ 120 volts. A voltage monitor inside your coach will be useful and suggest you be familiar with how to reduce and selectively control your current useage even if you have an EMS system.

Best Regards

Thanks for the update!!! Much appreciated…..

This is one of the reasons I did my Lithium Conversion a couple years ago and then upgraded to an Inverter / Charger and rewired the coach so I can run anything off my 850Ah batteries.

I have a hardwired EMS wired after the ATS and a portable EMS to protect the ATS. I was told a couple years ago that 50A will be hard to find and some remote campgrounds provide power via a generator so 30A can be sketchy. I thought the EMS may cut out if the power gets that bad.

We’ll try to limit high amp devices running simultaneously. If power gets too bad, I’ll run off batteries and then switch over to shore power overnight to recharge. I can configure my battery charger and drop the charging amps if things get too bad. May take longer to charge but should be able to keep the EMS from kicking in.

I use 50A but I’ve also brought every dogbone option out there so I can get whatever stable power is available.

I always try to have contingency plans…. but its hard to cover every possible scenario!!!!

Safe travels!
Old 06-04-2023, 02:18 AM   #13

THOR #10304
Update on Power Alcan Hwy

Hi Judge,

Just an update regarding power (amps/volts) at the pedestal. Last night campground in Watson Lake started at 123 volts with minimal amp draw. I upped my amps draw to 24 amps and the voltage only dropped to 114 volts so that was fine. In Whitehorse right now and this campground is running at 124 volts and never below 120v with whatever I turn on.

I also have about every configuration available for dogbones, adapters, etc - all come in handy someday.

My Ace came with 2 house batteries, but when they started dying I saw there is actually space in the battery box for 3 batteries so I went with 3 Group 31 AGMs at 110 Amp/hrs each so I have about 330 Amp/hr capacity. I also added a 2000 watt inverter because I dislike having to run my frig from propane when not on shore power and while driving. So I only use propane for stove and if I should use furnace.

I also added 400 watt solar on the rooftop (4x100w panels) and have been getting up to 320+ watts out of it so with the 20 hrs or so of daylight up here I can drycamp almost indefinitely.

Quick word about the roads - not to worry. We are about Milepost 880 and has all been decent blacktop so far, as good or even better than US roads, some 9% grades (both uphill and downhill), but only 1 mile or so long. So far from Dawson Creek to Whitehorse only about 15 miles of gravel road construction and yes, that was super rough, like driving over 6 inch diameter logs, I was at 10 mph for about 2 miles of it or would have just shaken coach to pieces. But almost no traffic so not a problem to creep along.

Highest gas price so far $5.88 gallon in Toad River (converted from liters / gallons / Canadien dollars / US dollars)

But then again, there is a Picture Postcard view every single mile....

Best regards
Old 06-04-2023, 03:22 AM   #14

THOR #12751
Quote:
Hi Judge,

Just an update regarding power (amps/volts) at the pedestal. Last night campground in Watson Lake started at 123 volts with minimal amp draw. I upped my amps draw to 24 amps and the voltage only dropped to 114 volts so that was fine. In Whitehorse right now and this campground is running at 124 volts and never below 120v with whatever I turn on.

I also have about every configuration available for dogbones, adapters, etc - all come in handy someday.

My Ace came with 2 house batteries, but when they started dying I saw there is actually space in the battery box for 3 batteries so I went with 3 Group 31 AGMs at 110 Amp/hrs each so I have about 330 Amp/hr capacity. I also added a 2000 watt inverter because I dislike having to run my frig from propane when not on shore power and while driving. So I only use propane for stove and if I should use furnace.

I also added 400 watt solar on the rooftop (4x100w panels) and have been getting up to 320+ watts out of it so with the 20 hrs or so of daylight up here I can drycamp almost indefinitely.

Quick word about the roads - not to worry. We are about Milepost 880 and has all been decent blacktop so far, as good or even better than US roads, some 9% grades (both uphill and downhill), but only 1 mile or so long. So far from Dawson Creek to Whitehorse only about 15 miles of gravel road construction and yes, that was super rough, like driving over 6 inch diameter logs, I was at 10 mph for about 2 miles of it or would have just shaken coach to pieces. But almost no traffic so not a problem to creep along.

Highest gas price so far $5.88 gallon in Toad River (converted from liters / gallons / Canadien dollars / US dollars)

But then again, there is a Picture Postcard view every single mile....

Best regards

Thanks for the updates wagnerda! Very much appreciated!

I’ll probably be going the 10MPH route on those gravel roads as well. I know how the “good” raods can shake things apart in these coaches!

We’ll be crossing over into Canada on June 19 and Alaska on June 30.

Safe travels and keep us posted!
Old 06-04-2023, 12:12 PM   #15

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:

Our coach was an Itasca Horizon 50amp class A.

Best Regards
Your voltage issues sound a lot like what we experienced. We did the same caravan that Judge is taking back in 16. RV parks are frequently nothing more than gravel lots and utilities often are weak. On our tour the wagon master would get to the park ahead of everyone else and check each pedestal for AC voltage before accepting and assigning it to someone. At Anchorage everything was good until everyone started using the electricity. It was warm, mid 80s, and when people turned on their air conditioners, park voltages dropped. I had an EMS which would cut off at voltages below 108vac and during the day kept losing power. I carry a voltmeter and checked and would see less than 100vac. If someone makes that trip and de ons not have a true EMS they risk damaging their electrical components. Similar situation in Denali.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 12:58 PM   #16

THOR #10304
Black out curtains

Another quick tidbit Judge is wife says to remind about "black out" curtains for bedroom. Before we left she went to fabric store for a couple yards of fabric (looks like about 1/4 inch thick black velvet) that she just tacked onto the inside of the factory bedroom curtains for the two windows in bedroom.

Really, really needed. Sun comes up around 4 AM and down around Midnite so otherwise like trying to sleep in a Las Vegas parking lot at high noon...

Best Regards,
Old 06-04-2023, 01:08 PM   #17

THOR #12751
Quote:
Another quick tidbit Judge is wife says to remind about "black out" curtains for bedroom. Before we left she went to fabric store for a couple yards of fabric (looks like about 1/4 inch thick black velvet) that she just tacked onto the inside of the factory bedroom curtains for the two windows in bedroom.

Really, really needed. Sun comes up around 4 AM and down around Midnite so otherwise like trying to sleep in a Las Vegas parking lot at high noon...

Best Regards,
Hahahaha....

The wife needs it so dark to sleep I have bruises on my legs from bumping into stuff!!!!

She did setup blackout curtains for the bedroom before we left. I don't need it completely dark to sleep but something tells me it still won't be dark enough for the wife.... which means I won't be sleeping either!
Old 06-08-2023, 12:55 AM   #18

THOR #10304
Update - Arrived in Fairbanks

Short update Judge - Arrived Fairbanks, miles so far from Maryland 4,930. No issues so far with tires. One tiny chip in windshield of my tow vehicle (2011 Jeep) but pretty insignificant (note I just use a Blue Ox tow bar, no gravel guard etc but I do see them on some. Fairly sure the chip is from meeting a semi on the gravel sections, most semis here are double bottom - so they are pulling 2 trailers with total of 30 tires tossing gravel so hard to miss, do not see any chips on the Ace windshield so that's a plus. There was a total of about 75 miles of road construction / gravel on Alcan Hwy.

Anyway, 5 days here, tomorrow going up Dalton Hwy to above the Arctic Circle, then to Anchorage and then Top of the World Hwy.

Best Regards
Old 06-08-2023, 02:31 AM   #19

THOR #12751
Quote:
Short update Judge - Arrived Fairbanks, miles so far from Maryland 4,930. No issues so far with tires. One tiny chip in windshield of my tow vehicle (2011 Jeep) but pretty insignificant (note I just use a Blue Ox tow bar, no gravel guard etc but I do see them on some. Fairly sure the chip is from meeting a semi on the gravel sections, most semis here are double bottom - so they are pulling 2 trailers with total of 30 tires tossing gravel so hard to miss, do not see any chips on the Ace windshield so that's a plus. There was a total of about 75 miles of road construction / gravel on Alcan Hwy.

Anyway, 5 days here, tomorrow going up Dalton Hwy to above the Arctic Circle, then to Anchorage and then Top of the World Hwy.

Best Regards

Thanks for the update!

I have the Roadmaster rock guard…. and I did buy a cheap cover to go over the windshield. Hopefully that helps!
Old 06-08-2023, 03:06 AM   #20

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:

Best Regards
I used a yoga mat on the Jeep and it works like a charm.. Regular sized on fits Jeep windshields perfectly.,
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote