Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Super C 35SB
State: Colorado
THOR #3579
Avenue of the Giants to Gold Beach Oregon?

We are driving from Reno, NV to Avenue of the Giants, making a stop there for a couple of days then heading north on the 101 to Gold Beach Oregon. Does anyone have any suggestions on routes or roads to take and to avoid? We have a 35 foot class C. I am hopeful we are not too big on these windy roads! Thanks!

Old 07-18-2016, 12:31 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieL64 View Post
We are driving from Reno, NV to Avenue of the Giants, making a stop there for a couple of days then heading north on the 101 to Gold Beach Oregon. Does anyone have any suggestions on routes or roads to take and to avoid? We have a 35 foot class C. I am hopeful we are not too big on these windy roads! Thanks!
If you have a bit of time and are not in a "last minute hurry" I would suggest taking ...
US 395 north out of Reno to
US 20 west thru the Feather River Canyon to Quincy, then stay on US 20 thru Marysville, Williams, Clear Lake to US 101 North.
Follow US 101 north to the Ave of Giants.

This is one of the old timey routes for trucks before the interstates were built.... just do not get in a hurry as it is narrow and twisty at times..... and there are quite a few CG's along the way..

Leave extra Early and stay extra Late...enjoy the experience of YesterYear!. It is a Vacation.... Not a RACE to your destination
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:35 AM   #3

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
I think you'll find that the Avenue of the Giants will be a bit of a tight squeeze for your rig. What was uncomfortable for us was how close many of those giant redwoods are to the road -- there's no wiggle room in places. We drove part of it in our 31' ACE and decided to skip the rest and use 101 to get north. We took 101 from a teeny town called Meyers Flat to Crescent City before heading inland on 199. 101 has its challenges, and there's a bit of construction, but we were comfortable there.

If you're thinking of taking Hwy. 20 over to the coast ... Don't. There's a section with a 10% downgrade, on top of a few 6 and 7% downgrades on 2 lanes, and it's just not a fun drive in a big rig. We took it because we wanted to go to Ft. Bragg, and I won't do it again. Nor was the drive north from Ft. Bragg on 101 very fun, either.

My take on driving our ACE is to enjoy it. I don't mind 2-lane roads, but when they're clearly not well-suited for larger motorhomes, I just don't enjoy it. We took our time, turning out when necessary to let cars pass, but it simply wasn't a relaxing drive. We'll visit that area again, just not in the motorhome.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:12 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
OR ...
if you have a fear of hills, twisty roads, and 2 lanes..... just take I-80 west to state route 37 (just over the hump from Napa) to 101 north and to destination, then stay on 101 north to Gold Beach, ORE.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #5

Model: Palazzo
State: California
THOR #3353
Being from Northern California and have driven that route a few times, I agree with saddlesore.