Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2020, 04:11 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29D
State: Maryland
THOR #19558
Amicalola Falls State Park, Georgia?

Hello all! This week we are planning on going to the Amicalola Falls State Park in Georgia for a wedding. I have been reading about and see that they advertise a 25% grade coming into the park. I cannot imagine this in our Class C. Has anyone been into the park, and what (if any) problems did you experience?

Thanks in advance!

2009 SmartCar Toad,the "SMT L80"
Johnandcarols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:54 AM   #2

THOR #19558
Well, we’re here, and that is some grade! It’s short: maybe a quarter mile but it is very steep. The “Rita V” made it, nd now we are sipping our coffee, looking for bears and enjoying life!
Old 09-05-2020, 11:39 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
the stated signs may be misleading, though, yes, it certainly is a steep grade, but RVs of all types and sizes make it up to the campground ... so, obviously, it's not 'too' steep, but it's just not the normal grade you'd expect just to get up to a campground.
I worry more about the descent down when leaving, as your brakes will be taking a lot of weight and pressure that they are not accustomed to. Just take it slow.

Also, realize that there is a very hard left and UPHILL 'switch back' turn within the campground - your site may be before that, but chances are you'll have to maneuver it regardless because the campground is simply a 'loop' road, whether you encounter it getting to your site, or when leaving.

These are the types of campgrounds and RVing situations where you can share stories about later - it's worth the trip, even if it creates some apprehension...

been there in our 35' diesel pusher pulling our tow car... and it's not just 1/4 mile, more like at least a mile from the check in point to the campground itself... much, yes, is very steep.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:20 AM   #4

THOR #19558
Yep, Turnerfam you are. Right. That road up is really longer than a quarter mile. Coming down today I think it was nearly a mile indeed. I kept our rig in 2d all the way down. And yes, that switchback is still there. We enjoyed the time there, visited the lodge and saw some nice vistas. It is nice but site not for,the faint of heart!
Old 09-07-2020, 02:25 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnandcarols View Post
Hello all! This week we are planning on going to the Amicalola Falls State Park in Georgia for a wedding. I have been reading about and see that they advertise a 25% grade coming into the park. I cannot imagine this in our Class C. Has anyone been into the park, and what (if any) problems did you experience?

Thanks in advance!
Unicoi SP is nearly as hilly but it is closer to Helen.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote