Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #6090
Arizona Travel

My hubby and I will be traveling to Arizona in early summer next year. We live in the southeast and I-40 would be one of the routes we would consider taking, however, I'm reading that I-10 might be best due to severe wind storms in OK/NM that time of year. We will be hauling our car with us on this trip so I'm considering camping at one central location in AZ and driving to all tourist locations. We are looking at going to Hoover Damn, Grand Canyon, Sedona, Antelope Canyon and maybe Monument Valley. What would be the best central location? Flagstaff or Sedona?? Need suggestions on campgrounds. Would camping a couple of nights at GC be suggested or just driving there for the day? Looking at AZ travel books, but really need feedback as it helps me decide how to have the best experience.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
That's a great area of the country to visit; which we've done a few times over the years.

My main comment is to consider how large Arizona is. If you stay in Sedona and drive your car to Hoover Dam, that's about a 4-hour trip each way. Grand Canyon Village is about 2-hours each way.

I personally love the Grand Canyon, and would recommend staying there a night or two if you have the time and can reserve. We normally go in May or September to avoid summer crowds, so can't comment what it's like during summer. A lot depends too on whether you will stay at Rim or if you plan to hike down into Canyon. If you plan to hike into Canyon at all it's nice to be close by so you don't need to drive for hours afterwards.

P.S. -- For what it's worth, I prefer the North Rim because it's less busy.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We were there a few years ago, not camping though. I also would recommend staying at the GC and making dinner reservations at the El Tovar Hotel (we got lucky and had a table right next to a window to the GC). Staying there also lets you see sunset and sunrise over the canyon..something not to be missed.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Bonito CG is NPS with nice sites. It's dry camping and right outside Flagstaff.
Temps weren't to bad in late June when we were there two years ago. You'll be about an 1 hour or so from the Grand Canyon, longer to the north rim.
About 2 hours to the Sedona area. Walnut Canyon at Flagstaff is just as nice as Antelope but a lot less busy.
Expect high winds any time along the I-40 corridor.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
We have camped CO, NM, AZ, Nevada & Utah a number of times...
We live in the Kansas City area and must warn you that coming across the Midwest,(Nebraska, KS, Oklahoma, Texas) whether you take the North, Central or Southern route, you are likely to run into cross winds which make travel tricky. Hence a well managed steering system is a must.
We travel West across KS and try to stay away from I70...then into Colorado through the Southern portion or NM ... when going to Monument Valley and Lake Powell. Lake Powell has an awesome campground...if you want hookups, you must make reservations especially traveling during the end of May throughout the summer. Antelope Slot Canyon is accessed from Page, AZ .. Guided tours take you to the area...Page is at Lake Powell.
From that area...we have done day trips to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and you can, also, camp in the North Rim area.
If you want the complete Grand Canyon experience, do the South Rim too.
If planning on camping at the South Rim...make reservations...there is, also a KOA south of the GC .
Last summer we got caught up in the craziness of the 100th Anniversary of the National Parks and stayed at the KOA. We did park at the South Rim and had a great day...having not been there for many years.
We did this trip in early June...opted not to stay in Sedona as temps were already hovering over 100.
If you choose to go to Las Vegas/Hoover Dam...you should make the loop back through the SW corner of Utah taking in Zion and Bryce, Grand Staircase, Arches (Moab) and other areas in between...
There is soooo much to see in each State you will be crossing....where does it begin and end !!!
Each trip we make...we include new areas which we have not seen in many years or have not visited in the past.

Oh...to be retired and be able to .... just go !!!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote