Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2022, 08:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Western KY Parkway

We will be traveling to the Louisville area from Arkansas. We've been the route going through Nashville several times, so we were thinking about a more scenic route this time. Has anyone ever traveled the Western KY Parkway? Is it good for an RV trip? It looks to be just under 100 miles long, but I would think it may be more scenic than just Interstates 40 and 65.

2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 01:22 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish and Dear View Post
We will be traveling to the Louisville area from Arkansas. We've been the route going through Nashville several times, so we were thinking about a more scenic route this time. Has anyone ever traveled the Western KY Parkway? Is it good for an RV trip? It looks to be just under 100 miles long, but I would think it may be more scenic than just Interstates 40 and 65.
Having lived in Murray, KY for 25 years, I will say it is a nice road until you have to go north on I-65 onyour way to Louisville. If you got the time - up I-55 to I-155. I-155 becomes US-51 which is 4 lane to Fulton, KY which joins the WKT Parkway at Fulton. Most of the WKYP is now I-69.

If you want to skip the I-65 north into Louisville (and I do), follow I-69 to where it joins I-64 in Indiana. The drive on I-64 east from Evansville is one of the best in the eastern US. That will bring you into Louisville at the Ohio River Water Park without any traffic until you hit I-65 or turn-off I-64.

Once you leave Blytheville, AR, you are in the touristy section of the Mississippi and Ohio river - the (boot heel) of MO and the Jackson Purchase section of TN and KY. Lots of campgrounds, state parks and Land Between the Lakes (LBL) which is an awesome US Forest Department reservation.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:32 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #11266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Having lived in Murray, KY for 25 years, I will say it is a nice road until you have to go north on I-65 onyour way to Louisville. If you got the time - up I-55 to I-155. I-155 becomes US-51 which is 4 lane to Fulton, KY which joins the WKT Parkway at Fulton. Most of the WKYP is now I-69.

If you want to skip the I-65 north into Louisville (and I do), follow I-69 to where it joins I-64 in Indiana. The drive on I-64 east from Evansville is one of the best in the eastern US. That will bring you into Louisville at the Ohio River Water Park without any traffic until you hit I-65 or turn-off I-64.

Once you leave Blytheville, AR, you are in the touristy section of the Mississippi and Ohio river - the (boot heel) of MO and the Jackson Purchase section of TN and KY. Lots of campgrounds, state parks and Land Between the Lakes (LBL) which is an awesome US Forest Department reservation.
Thanks for that info!!
2015 Ford Explorer XLT Toad
Fish and Dear is offline   Reply With Quote