Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2022, 03:27 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Avoiding Major storm or Hurricane??

I could be pretty hosed. Cape Coral is now close to center with 8 - 12’ of storm surge. The Cape starts flooding at 5’. If it gets to 7 - 8’ my home will likely be significantly flooded.

At least we are safe out west but I can’t enjoy this trip knowing we could potentially lose everything if it hits as now projected.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:35 PM   #22

THOR #12751
Storm Surge for us is now forecasted to be 12 - 16'..... that would wipe us out.

We will be in Albuquerque until October 7. We were planning to head to PA after the Balloon Fiesta, winterize and store the coach and then head back to Florida. Now we think we will end up going straight from Albuquerque to Florida with the coach.... if roads are open by then and there is ample diesel in the state. At least we would have a place to stay while we try to asses the damage and start cleanup..
Old 09-28-2022, 05:08 PM   #23
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Storm Surge for us is now forecasted to be 12 - 16'..... that would wipe us out.

We will be in Albuquerque until October 7. We were planning to head to PA after the Balloon Fiesta, winterize and store the coach and then head back to Florida. Now we think we will end up going straight from Albuquerque to Florida with the coach.... if roads are open by then and there is ample diesel in the state. At least we would have a place to stay while we try to asses the damage and start cleanup..
Yep, it looks like Charlotte Harbor, Ft. Myers area is bearing the brunt of this storm as originally predicted when they first put a cone up before the cone swung west and then back east. It's also supposed to exit Florida at Daytona beach now as originally predicted. Maybe it won't be as bad in your area as the drama reporters are trying to make it but you can't do much about it now.

They just showed a shot of a marina at Punta Gorda and all the boats where sitting on mud due to the water being pushed out of the bay.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:53 PM   #24

Model: Wind sport 29M
THOR #24352
Thumbs up Avoiding Major storm or Hurricane??

Now that we know where Ian is really going. We left Saint Petersburg early Tuesday morning headed to Ft Pierce. out of harm's way.

Everybody stay safe

2018 Thor wind sport 29M
2020 Hyundai Tuscon Toad
4 year old Basset hound
smitty1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:35 PM   #25
Site Team

THOR #7035
Well it's over for Florida except for a little wind and rain on the east coast and major recovery in the path from Key West to Tampa and across the state to the Titusville Daytona area.

All my family in the path lost power except for my MIL (best case) and had minor flooding in the streets.

Now SC is in the cross hairs with it strengthening to hurricane force by this evening and maybe class 2 when it hits land again.

We were more prepared for this storm than we have been in years as the projected track was pointed at us several times. We've only had minor winds (30ish) with not much higher gusts. Absolutely no rain.

Unfortunately Judges location in Cape Coral really took a hit. No telling what he'll find when he gets back down there. Sanibel Island is now cut off from the mainland and besides the wind and flooding there are several houses burning on the island.

They say this was the fourth strongest storm to hit the mainland USA and I think the State did a great job of preparing but there will still be damage beyond control and deaths of people that didn't heed evacuation orders. Today will be full of rescues.
Old 09-29-2022, 04:31 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
We in NC but just got word our cental Florida place is messy but okay. So far everyone I know is okay but significant damage. Ft Myers and coast areas bad with wind/flooding. Lot of trees/wires down. Neighbor down road had to cut tree to get out of driveway to check on my place. Sent pics and we going to have a lot more sunlight on our property. Will be very extended cleanup. Roof looks intact along with cars/fences.

Hope everyone else is as fortunate as we are.
Old 09-29-2022, 10:27 PM   #27

THOR #12751

I’ve been slowly getting info today. Cape Coral had 3 of the top 8 wind reports…. 140, 122 and 108 with the Cape Coral Yacht Club reporting 135.

We were very fortunate…. We are in a Zone A that starts flooding at 5’. My home floods at 16’…. and I got lucky and it did not get flooded. I don’t know how we didn’t get flooded. We lost some roof tiles and sofit but no water detected yet. I’ll have to hope it stays dry and rain doesn’t get in.

All of the trees and gates in our community were destroyed…. looks like Ukraine. Our marina had damage. Some docks failed. Some boats fine… others damaged… sunk or
missing. A 56’ Sea Ray is missing. I just bought a new boat but thankfully it was not at the marina yet as I was waiting for a lift to be installed.

The Marina in downtown Ft Myers got it much worse. Sanibel and Ft Myers beach took the worst of the surge… water up to second floors. The Sanibel causeway is destroyed in several sections. So is the bridge and road to Pine Island and Matlacha. They are taking boats to the islands but when they get there they can’t get around. They are trying tobget ATV’s out there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_E64CD3631548-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	899.5 KB
ID:	39617

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7948.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	39618
Old 09-29-2022, 11:13 PM   #28
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
I’ve been slowly getting info today. Cape Coral had 3 of the top 8 wind reports…. 140, 122 and 108 with the Cape Coral Yacht Club reporting 135.

We were very fortunate…. We are in a Zone A that starts flooding at 5’. My home floods at 16’…. and I got lucky and it did not get flooded. I don’t know how we didn’t get flooded. We lost some roof tiles and sofit but no water detected yet. I’ll have to hope it stays dry and rain doesn’t get in.

All of the trees and gates in our community were destroyed…. looks like Ukraine. Our marina had damage. Some docks failed. Some boats fine… others damaged… sunk or
missing. A 56’ Sea Ray is missing. I just bought a new boat but thankfully it was not at the marina yet as I was waiting for a lift to be installed.

The Marina in downtown Ft Myers got it much worse. Sanibel and Ft Myers beach took the worst of the surge… water up to second floors. The Sanibel causeway is destroyed in several sections. So is the bridge and road to Pine Island and Matlacha. They are taking boats to the islands but when they get there they can’t get around. They are trying tobget ATV’s out there.

Attachment 39617

Attachment 39618
Thanks for the update Judge. I agree, you got lucky with minimal scathing. Very few people down there were so lucky.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:44 AM   #29

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Our area of central Florida had it easy on this one. Wind gusts to 40 and 3 inches of rain total. The forecast was 70 mph and 15-20 inches. We didn't lose water or electricity.

When we moved to Florida we chose the center mainly because of the risk of storm damage near the coast. Living close to the beach has it's advantages, but there is this chance of weather impact.

Not being smug, just grateful. It's going to be a long road to recovery for so many. Some won't get back what was lost.
Old 09-30-2022, 05:29 PM   #30

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Good Luck Judge in your rebuilding effort.

My Post Hurricane inspection, here is Beaufort, SC
1) Bring RV off jacks, remove all covers.
2) Run Engine
3) Run GenSet
4) Run heater in prep for winter
5) Wipe down exterior of RV, open all doors and dry sills, and door edges
6) Pray we get lucky again and the next Hurricane misses us again by 50 miles...

Hard to watch video of Ft. Meyers and see all the RV, boats, homes piled up like rubble...
Old 10-01-2022, 06:49 PM   #31
Site Team

THOR #7035
And Now The Food Shortages Start

That's a no brainer for those in the affected areas but for those farther north that count on fresh/frozen food from the southern part of Florida there are already shortages.

We stopped at Save-A-Lot today. Our area here in central north Florida had ZERO rain, minor wind, and almost no power outages. The fresh fruit/vegetable area was almost completed wiped out. No milk at all, minimal fresh meat, and frozen foods was a wasteland.

Plenty of non-perishables like canned goods, rice and cereals.

Something to consider if your traveling in the south-east.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:39 PM   #32

THOR #12751

When we head back from our trip out west, we will be loading up with as much food, water and other supplies as we can carry. We probably won’t head back until electricity and water are restored…. and as long as I get reports we don’t have any water intrusion starting.

Information is still sketchy but we are hearing Cape Coral could be without electricity and water for up to three weeks.

Sanibel and Pine Island are being fully evaluated because all infrastructure has failed and businesses wiped out. There is no timetable as to when residents may be a le to return.

We are trying to imagine going back and not recognizing anything. Most of the places we frequent have been wiped out completely. A few places…. Like Publix and Home Depot… are open running on generators. But most places thay are open can only take cash because of limited power and no Internet or cellular service.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:36 PM   #33

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
This is a link to an interactive satellite map by NOAA. You can scroll around and zoom down on all areas to see damage (or rejoice in the lack of). I was able to find my friends boat, their new home they are building and the smaller home the bought during the build.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/i....4200/-81.9700
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 08:55 PM   #34

Model: Magnitude SV34
THOR #20809
Quote:
When we head back from our trip out west, we will be loading up with as much food, water and other supplies as we can carry. We probably won’t head back until electricity and water are restored…. and as long as I get reports we don’t have any water intrusion starting.

Information is still sketchy but we are hearing Cape Coral could be without electricity and water for up to three weeks.

Sanibel and Pine Island are being fully evaluated because all infrastructure has failed and businesses wiped out. There is no timetable as to when residents may be a le to return.

We are trying to imagine going back and not recognizing anything. Most of the places we frequent have been wiped out completely. A few places…. Like Publix and Home Depot… are open running on generators. But most places thay are open can only take cash because of limited power and no Internet or cellular service.
Glad you made out ok Judge. We got lucky as well. Fence got blown down, bunch of landscaping wiped out, some roof shingles, a soffit and flashing and a small amount of water intrusion on 1st floor. Winds were wicked. RV has a tiny amount of water at somewhere either at the cap side window or the big front one. All in all I count myself fortunate.

be safe out there!
Old 10-03-2022, 10:23 PM   #35

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Our area of central Florida had it easy on this one. Wind gusts to 40 and 3 inches of rain total. The forecast was 70 mph and 15-20 inches. We didn't lose water or electricity.

When we moved to Florida we chose the center mainly because of the risk of storm damage near the coast. Living close to the beach has it's advantages, but there is this chance of weather impact.

Not being smug, just grateful. It's going to be a long road to recovery for so many. Some won't get back what was lost.
I was reared in New Hanover County, NC, just north of Wilmington. In the 1940, 1950 and 60's we averaged a named hurricane every 3.8 years. Not all came ashore but the Cape Fear River flood every time from the storm surge. I swore if I ever got out of the swamp, I would never live near the sea shore again. I never understood why people chose to build houses on the barrier islands or the in sounds. My father had enough of the swamp when Hurricane Hazel (Oct 1954) destroyed our house and moved his family to Raleigh, NC I love the ocean and the gulf and always try to speed a coupe weeks a year with the Grandson on the coast. There are places in the US without hurricanes, tornadoes and snow, you just to learn to live with the heat. 58 days of 100 or better does not sound so bad if the A/C doesn't quit and the power stays on.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote