Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2022, 06:30 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Avoiding Major storm or Hurricane??

Looks like tropical storm #9 will develop into a cat-2 or cat-3 hurricane in the next few days. Most early models have it coming into the Gulf of Mexico and making landfall on the Florida coast.

If It were Me..I would grab the "TDS/OpenRoads" fuel card and/or at least download the "Mudflap" App [or GasBuddy for the gassers] to my phone and put the RV in the Wind for the hills of TN or MO.... No later than Saturday Noon.
With school in session, there are plenty of campgrounds available and be able to avoid the panicked last minute traffic.
By the time that the weather forecasters can accurately state where the hurricane/storm will hit... It is Too damn late to git outta Dodge.

Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Yeah, cuz Tn and Mo have never been flooded by a tropical system.

How many people have hauled A$$ too early and put themselves right in the path of a storm? At this point I'd wait and see how this #9 developes and steers. If I lived within 50 miles of the Gulf between Ft. Myers and Tampa I'd start making preparations to move. It is supposed to be a major Hurricane when it hits landfall.

We are currently out of the main path in north Florida but if it goes across the state as currently predicted by the cone of uncertainty it will run right over my oldest son's house in Sanford and my MIL's and BIL's and niece's houses in the Deland area.

We'll stand by to render aid and resources if required and be prepared to move out of the way if it takes a turn in our direction.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:13 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
TN or MO??? Just cruise up to Ocala ot Gainesville...maybe across The Forgotten Coast...make a mini vacation of it. This will probably go quite a bit further southward than the news goobers are predicting. Watch out Floroda Keys.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:11 PM   #4

Model: 2014 Hurricane 34E
State: Alabama
THOR #6181
Had a trip planned for Sunday to Saturday in the FL panhandle near Port St Joe. Probably lose deposit unless a manatory evacuation or suggested is called to get out of there. Already made reservation to head to Gulf Shores. Probably no brainer. Hope far enough west!!!
I have been in that traffic a couple times, no fun at all!!!!
Old 09-24-2022, 02:23 PM   #5
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
TN or MO??? Just cruise up to Ocala ot Gainesville...maybe across The Forgotten Coast...make a mini vacation of it. This will probably go quite a bit further southward than the news goobers are predicting. Watch out Floroda Keys.
The cone of uncertainty has actually shifted farther north now, closer to my location. We bought (2) 32 pack cases of 20 oz water last night at Big Lots for $2.59 a case, filled up the Colorado and a 5 gallon can (MH stays full) and I'll be checking out the portable generators today.
Old 09-24-2022, 03:01 PM   #6

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
This is one reason why we get out of Florida in the summer months and head north and west.

Back in ‘17 we were in Florida around Labor Day when Irma hit. We had a mandatory evacuation so we put down sand bags and headed out of town.

We only got sideswiped by the storm and didn’t get any damage….. well at least from the storm.

We live in a gated community but the gates were left open because of the evacuation. After the power went out and I couldn’t access my cameras any longer, someone broke into our place and stole a TV and some other small items. They cut threw the screen on my lanai because I had the outside door locked out back.

When the power came on I could see some sand bags were moved and the TV was missing in the living room. I called the PD and they were there with guns drawn in 15 minutes but the perps were long gone. Of course my insurance company told me not to file a claim if I could pay for it out of pocket so my rates wouldn’t go up…. insurance companies can be so wonderful. Ended up paying about $3K to have the screen fixed and replace what was stolen… plus putting special locks on each slider since thay is hoe they broke in.
Old 09-24-2022, 05:29 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Having spent my first 25 years of life on the coast and suffering thru many hurricanes and tropical storms I moved inland where I only have to deal with drought, flash floods and forest fires. I guess you cant escape the weather.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 07:40 PM   #8

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
Hurricane Ian preparation

For those in FL evacuating tomorrow, Sunday 9/25. If you would like to stay in SC, near Hilton Head Island. Our RV park has overnight sites that have full hookup, 50 AMP service and a wash station. It is patrolled and has a gate for entry and exit. These are sites that are available for non residence, ie, while your house is being built.

I think our lot manager charges 30$ a night. I will put his email address in below. Good luck and start driving. The picture below is a typical site, with gravel base.

Our location is near the intersection of Rte 278 and Rte 170 in Okatie, SC. about 7 miles from I-95

Jerry Harris <Jerry.Harris@schhca.com>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-09-24_15-39-03.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	39552   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-09-24_15-45-22.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	39553  

Old 09-24-2022, 07:50 PM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
We expect to ride this one out. Our area does not get mandatory evacuation orders.since we are far inland and no worries about storm surge. In previous hurricanes, neighbors have spooked and tried to outrun the storm and ended up in heavy rain in central Georgia. Other times some have headed east on I-10 only to have the storm turn that way and chase them up the road.

The 7 inch rains from previous storms just disappeared into the sandy soil in our area of central Florida. We'll move anything not secure inside and pickup branches after. For now we wait...
Old 09-24-2022, 10:31 PM   #10

THOR #11130
We sat through Sarah which was a Cat 1...not again. It's more the effects that the category. We had 21 inches of rain over 12 hours as she was moving so slow Two blocks from the beach and had no flooding but MH was rocking, trees horizontal and torrential rain. Nice to have options...if this keeps breaking west, we're out of here Monday. It just isnt worth it. Home is well insured including flood insurance.
Old 09-24-2022, 10:37 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Yeah, in 24 hours the cone of uncertainty has shifted from coming in at Ft Myers on Wednesday and going out at Daytona to centering on Tallahassee Thursday afternoon. We'd be on the bad side of that but at this rate it'll hit New Orleans or Galveston by time it gets to the mainland.

Or they'll wait until Tuesday or Wednesday and shift it east again.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:37 PM   #12

THOR #11130
If you track this on "weather radar" app it hits near Tampa and then goes straight up to Gainesville and on through central Georgia in direction of Macon. Don't get caught up in perpetual rain.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:50 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
If you track this on "weather radar" app it hits near Tampa and then goes straight up to Gainesville and on through central Georgia in direction of Macon. Don't get caught up in perpetual rain.

Weather Radar App?
Old 09-25-2022, 09:14 PM   #14

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post

Weather Radar App?
Try it...you'll like it. Very accurate and there's a scroll bar at the bottom that rolls you into the future path.

http://play.google.com/store/apps/de....livemaps.free
Old 09-27-2022, 12:20 AM   #15

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
What a difference a couple of days make! Hurricane Ian is now projected to tear through our area of Central Florida. We are prepared to hunker down and glad we have a block home and a metal shelter for our motorhome. We are far enough from any water to not have to worry about storm surge or flooding, just wind.
Old 09-27-2022, 12:48 AM   #16
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
What a difference a couple of days make! Hurricane Ian is now projected to tear through our area of Central Florida. We are prepared to hunker down and glad we have a block home and a metal shelter for our motorhome. We are far enough from any water to not have to worry about storm surge or flooding, just wind.
Yeah, after swinging across us from Daytona to Tallahassee the centerline track had paused 15 miles to the west of use. Now it's swung 20 miles to the east of use (which is better), but we still have several days for it to move either farther east or swing back to the west again.

I think it depends on NOAA's roll of the dice until it passes.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:19 AM   #17

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I went to bed last night and it still looked like Cape Coral would be in the tropical storm force winds.... this morning they issued a Hurricane Warning and we are going to be on the eastern side of it.

We're in Arizona on our way to the Balloon Fiesta so we won't be in it but I have to start worrying more about possible damage and flooding. We are in a first stage evacuation area for storm surge so I am waiting to see if they think it is going to be bad enough to issue the evac.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:46 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #5313
Heading to North Carolina for planned trip. Took extra day to close everything up. Expect to need to do clean up of branches when get home, property is not flood risk.

Everyone be safe.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:56 AM   #19
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Friends in Tampa were ordered to evacuate.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:28 AM   #20
Site Team

THOR #7035
Well, now we're almost back to the original path from post #2. Exiting slightly farter north of Daytona but staying close to Jscksonville. Then coming back into SC.

Puts my family in Central Florida back into the cross hairs but give Tampa a break and we've dodged a bullet - until the next change in prediction anyway.

Did anybody take Jerry up on his offer to evacuate to SC?