Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2018, 04:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 33SW
State: Florida
THOR #4193
Badlands NP to Rapid City, SD

Has anyone travelled SD44 from Badlands NP to Rapid City, SD in a MH? We’re heading to Hermosa, SD and I want to know if I could take 44 or should I go back to I-90 to head west.

Thanks, Bill.

Bill/Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I've been that way, but never took 44 into Rapid City.

You'll miss out on all the wonders of Wall Drug if you take 44 !

Even so the roads around the Badlands are pretty flat--you probably won't have that much of a problem (indeed spot checking some places using streetview shows a really flat road--see here for streetview).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #3

THOR #4193
When we took the loop road we detoured to Wall Drug (sigh).

SD44 is a scenic highway and we thought it would be a nice drive. I did check elevations in Google Earth and it looks fairly flat, but I figured I'd ask someone who has been there.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:21 PM   #4

Model: Synergy TT24
State: Indiana
THOR #11486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill/Kathy View Post
When we took the loop road we detoured to Wall Drug (sigh).

SD44 is a scenic highway and we thought it would be a nice drive. I did check elevations in Google Earth and it looks fairly flat, but I figured I'd ask someone who has been there.
Just this coming Friday we are embarking on a trip west to Breckenridge Colorado, SunValley, Grand Teton NP and then home. The las leg of this trip involves the Black Hills and the Badlands. We plan on taking SD 44 from Rapid City to Interior which is the east entrance to Badlands National Park and then drive back through the park to the west entrance then to Wall SD and then hop onto I90 and muscle it home to Indiana. We think this would be the most scenic way to experience the Badlands. Please let us know what you think of SD44.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:16 AM   #5

THOR #4193
ggeier

We just drove SD44 from Interior, SD to Rapid City, SD and we thought the drive was pleasant. There are some short rough sections but overall the road is a good 2 lane highway with little traffic. Travelling east look for the dinosaur on your left just before the Cheyenne River.

We stayed at a CG in Interior and drove the loop through Badlands NP in our toad to Wall. Some parts of the road are steep, winding and narrow. We saw RV’s taking this road, but I’m happy that we were in our car. (Just my opinion.)

Which ever route you take there is an interesting stop at the junction of I-90 (exit 231) and SD240 about the Cold War and ICBM’s.

Badlands NP is spectacular, enjoy your trip.
Old 08-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #6

State: Michigan
THOR #7646
Hi Bill, we traveled this area of our beautiful country this July in our 31Ft MH , we were advised to take I-90 from badlands and then took 79 south to visit wind wave and custer State park , then went north again on 16 but avoided the needles pass. hope this helps. safe travels

senthil K