Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #6090
Best Road from Grand Canyon

We are extending our travel to Grand Canyon to Yellowstone and the Mt Rushmore. This is our first big trip in our MH where we will be traveling through mountains. It is really making me nervous as I'm basically a flat land person although I have traveled in a car through mountains. The interstate (I-15) through Utah looks good, but going to Grand Tetons/Yellowstone, I'm not sure. We would like to stay either in Jackson and drive our car to GT and Yellowstone or maybe stay a couple of nights in Jackson and drive through GT and then relocate to West Yellowstone and drive that area. Then we will be going to Mt Rushmore from Yellowstone, but not sure which road would be the best. We have considered staying in Cody, but it looks so far for day trips to GT or Yellowstone. We have a 26 ft. HM and will be towing our car. Help, need advice for the best road with the least amount of steep grades or narrow roads. Need to make this Mama a little less nervous.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:26 PM   #2

Model: 29.3
State: Washington
THOR #6025
Depending where you are starting from..... The I-15 from Salt Lake City to the 20, to West Yellowstone, is pretty straight. And if remember right not much climbing. From West Yellowstone, getting to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons is not much trouble either. Staying in Jackson can be kinda pricey depending on the time of year. I would opt to drive the park in a car. Easier to get parking etc. However, the 14 can be twisty (from Yellowstone lake area). But, again I don't remember the climbing part.... Which usually means it wasn't bad. And Cody is, for the most part, windy.... And I hate the wind..... But from Cody it's pretty much a straight shop to Mt. Rushmore. Sounds like a nice trip, have a great time and be safe!
Old 01-06-2017, 11:51 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingcat View Post
We are extending our travel to Grand Canyon to Yellowstone and the Mt Rushmore. This is our first big trip in our MH where we will be traveling through mountains. It is really making me nervous as I'm basically a flat land person although I have traveled in a car through mountains. The interstate (I-15) through Utah looks good, but going to Grand Tetons/Yellowstone, I'm not sure. We would like to stay either in Jackson and drive our car to GT and Yellowstone or maybe stay a couple of nights in Jackson and drive through GT and then relocate to West Yellowstone and drive that area. Then we will be going to Mt Rushmore from Yellowstone, but not sure which road would be the best. We have considered staying in Cody, but it looks so far for day trips to GT or Yellowstone. We have a 26 ft. HM and will be towing our car. Help, need advice for the best road with the least amount of steep grades or narrow roads. Need to make this Mama a little less nervous.
i was reading this story about going to Yellowstone. You do realize it's winter in Yellowstone right? and it was minus 27 last night. And there's another big storm coming Sunday right? Oh well.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:07 AM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #6090
We are not taking this trip until late spring or early summer. It's cold here in the south and I surely don't want the snow fall that Yellowstone receives this time of year. Waiting for the ice to hit here now.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:57 AM   #5

State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
We are not taking this trip until late spring or early summer. It's cold here in the south and I surely don't want the snow fall that Yellowstone receives this time of year. Waiting for the ice to hit here now.
I live out on the Western Slope and travel this area. I'd love to have an motor home in the summer heading for Jackson Hole, but i can't quite swing it. But if you're coming up out of Arizona heading for Jackson Hole, I'd avoid Salt Lake City and I-15 like the plague. It's a military operation getting up that mess. Why not go the beautiful way. Jog over to Mack Colorado just inside the western edge of Colorado near Grand Junction. Go north on 139 through Rangely and the west a little to Vernal Utah. Stop at the Dinosaur National Park, the Flaming Gorge and keep heading north toward Jackson Hole. You go through Evanston Wy and Kemmerer. You'll see the highway. It's out of the way but if i was in an RV i'd want to be out of the way. Anyway, just spitballing a little bit and dreaming too. Good luck there. But STAY OUT OF SALT LAKE. maybe you have relatives there. If so, i apologize.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:33 AM   #6

Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
We went into the western entrance to Yellowstone in late April 2015 on our way to Alaska in our Vegas and had to wait and follow the snowplow into the park. The left loop around the park was closed and all the campgrounds except one at the north entrance were also closed. We ended up staying in a beautiful National Forest campground a few miles outside the north entrance - up in the hills. The was a solo Buffalo in the campsite next to us and Elk wandered thru.