Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 32.1 ACE
State: Texas
THOR #14323
BIG Bend National & State parks

I'm a native Texan of 70+ years who always wanted to visit Big Bend. But always opted for more exotic locations trips, Caribbean cruises, Viking River trips, etc. All were great, especially the Viking trips. But Big Bend is just as good to me.

Due to Covid & me needing infusions every 28 days. The infusions depress my immune system, so we've opted to stay isolated since March.

Although we have a home in the heavenly Texas Hill Country, with plenty of room, critters & garden, we decided it's time to take a trip.

Big Bend was the perfect choice, isolated area with a small population.

Looked at all the RV campgrounds some were OK, some weren't! We decided on the Lajitas Golf Resort which includes the Maverick RV Park. Located between the national & state park it was the perfect spot.

More expensive than others $59 a nite after discount for vets, FF's & PD's, we qualified for all 3 but only got the $5 off.

The golf course is gorgeous, other activities are zip lining, hiking, 4 wheel excursions & more. RV park patrons are entitled to all the resort facilities. My only complaint is it's difficult to get a reservation not because it's full, I think its due to the lack of employees. Voice mail always full, when you do get to leave a message no one returns the call for days & days. Emails are read but you never get a response.

Even with the drawbacks I highly recommend it. We went the week b4 Thanksgiving, the parks was 50% full. Hikers be aware there are critters you may not be used to, rattlesnakes, bears & mountain lions (very unlikely you'll encounter one). During the summer heat is always above 100.

The only thing I can't recommend is the zip line. It's quality equipment & safety first employees. I was used to a braking system (in Stowe Vermont) where you control your speed & stop. UNLESS you are in great shape, you'll suffer from the stop at the end, it's violent. We're both still full of aches & pains. DW thought it was worth it, I didn't.

Both parks were great, we liked the national park more. It's bigger with great roads. The state park has only one paved road, the rest is high clearance & maybe 4 WD. But there's plenty to do along that road which parallels the Rio Grande.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DS51560.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	27380   Click image for larger version

Name:	_DS51451.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	27381  

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DS51190.jpg