Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2023, 02:53 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Florida
THOR #11144
Boston visit

Any suggestions on campgrounds while visiting Boston?

Old 01-24-2023, 11:02 AM   #2

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBard48 View Post
https://www.normandyfarms.com/

Have stayed here a couple of times. When visiting Boston we drove the car to the nearest train station, parked it there and took the train into Boston. Once in Boston we took public transportation or just walked. That are tour buses all over town that you can take and get on/off at different locations.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 02:48 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
We stayed at SANDY POND CAMPGROUND - Plymouth, MA as a base to visit Boston, Plymouth and Provincetown
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 05:33 PM   #4
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
We have stayed at three different parks. First we stopped at Sturbridge Village Thousand Trails park. Twice at the Circle CG Farm Campground at
131 North Main St. (RT 126), Bellingham, MA 02019, and the last one at the Boston Minuetman Campground, 264 Ayer Road, Littleton, MA 01460. The Sturbridge park was old, but clean and well maintained. 30 amp no sewer near the lake and 50 amp tight sites away from the lake. We liked both the other two parks much more and both are closer to Boston. If you do not know Boston, it would be best to park in a lot, then walk. My wife is a Boston girl so she gave me the directions.
Old 01-24-2023, 05:35 PM   #5

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
Bob Nodine https://www.normandyfarms.com/

Love that place
Old 01-26-2023, 01:57 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
It's been a few years (10?), but we had a great stay at Normandy Farms. Beautiful amenities.

At that time, they offered a bus tour of Boston from the resort. The driver was a work camper from the resort. No way I was driving our big pickup into Boston. If they no longer offer tours, I would suggest you check out a Gray Line tour. We've done tours like that in several cities and never been disappointed.

Normandy Farms is very near that big stadium where a certain football team plays.
Old 01-26-2023, 03:17 AM   #7

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBard48 View Post
Have a great time. I grew up there so never camped. So many places to visit in town if you are into history. The old cemetery where Sam Adams is buried. His headstone is easy to spot as there is usually an empty bottle of Sam Adams beer on top.
Retired US Navy Corpsman HMC(SW)(FMF)
HMCSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 07:16 PM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Ohio
THOR #8373
We have spent a lot of RV time in the Boston area as kids went to college there and stayed. We've spent many nights in Home Depot, Costco, and Lowes parking lots. But our two favorite real campgrounds are north of the city. One in Salem, Winter Island Park. We prefer the parking lot spaces because of the view, but the grassy areas are nice also. It fills up fast in the fall. The other is in Gloucester, Cape Ann Campsite. Smaller rigs can get back into the woods but there is plenty of big rig parking up front. This one has a great beach park right down the street. Both towns are fun to visit and you can take a train into Boston or drive your car. I do not recommend driving your RV into the city, the tunnels, traffic, and narrow streets make it very difficult.
Old 02-06-2023, 02:49 AM   #9

Model: Freedon Elite 26HE
State: Alabama
THOR #20751
Beware of Storrow Drive. Don't take your RV on Storrow Drive, you may get "Storrowed", i.e. get your roof, or other components torn off. Even if driving a car I would avoid Storrow Drive. Boston driers are very aggressive, even crazier during rush hours. As other folks have mentioned it is better to take the T or the train into Bean Town. I lived in Boston for years and it is walkable and you can use the T to pop around.
Have fun!! Great city and tons of history. Walking around Beacon Hill is interesting, though some streets are steep.
Tim
Old 02-06-2023, 01:31 PM   #10

Model: Aria 3401
State: Washington
THOR #22245
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnul@timmade.com View Post
Beware of Storrow Drive. Don't take your RV on Storrow Drive, you may get "Storrowed", i.e. get your roof, or other components torn off. Even if driving a car I would avoid Storrow Drive. Boston driers are very aggressive, even crazier during rush hours. As other folks have mentioned it is better to take the T or the train into Bean Town. I lived in Boston for years and it is walkable and you can use the T to pop around.
Have fun!! Great city and tons of history. Walking around Beacon Hill is interesting, though some streets are steep.
Tim
I learned to drive in Boston as a kid. They don’t call us Boston drivers Massholes for nothing. Took 50 years and a RV for me to shed most of that. Only the strong survive the roundabouts.
Old 02-06-2023, 05:28 PM   #11
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
My wife is a Boston girl and knows the city. We driven in as well with a car on the night of the tornadoes and have taken the T. Finding parking can be troublesome. We also did it twice with our diesel dully in the past. Nothing like going to Fenway Park for a ball game, missing the street we wanted. and ending up in Cambriage! Narrow street with students moving along with delivery trucks and the students were double parked! Found the next bridge and got to the parking lot we wanted. That is when we decided on the next trip to take the T. Short walk to everything.