Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Gettyburgs PA

Recommend a spot here for a week? Lots of choices.

Thank you.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:28 PM   #2

Model: Vegas
State: California
THOR #2485
The Gettysburg KOA is very nice with lots of trees for shade and privacy. It's also located further away from busy streets and highways so is very quiet.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:10 PM   #3

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I second the KOA in Gettysburg, they also have a great Sunday morning breakfast. In the spring they start the shuttle to the visitors center but was there just before it started and missed out
Coveman2
Old 01-03-2020, 11:28 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
How far is that KOA from the "Battle Museum"?
(I don't remember what they actually call it... )
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:25 AM   #5

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
I think its about a 15 minute drive from the CG.
Coveman2
Old 01-04-2020, 12:59 AM   #6

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
The Dobbins House is a great place to eat.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:26 AM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coveman2 View Post
I think its about a 15 minute drive from the CG.
Coveman2
Thanks!
Old 01-04-2020, 09:43 AM   #8

Model: Four Winds 24F
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #13098
Excellent dining at the Herr Ridge Inn along Route 30 west of the battlefield (on your way there, look for the "first shot fired" monument).....upstairs is fine dining, downstairs is an excellent bar and great food!
Also The Pub restaurant on the square in Gettysburg.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:29 PM   #9

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Gettysburg is not to be missed. One of the most interesting places I’ve ever visited. When we were there we didn’t have a toad. We were able to drive our 30 ft Class A through the narrow old streets but it was tricky. I figured if full size tour busses could do it I could too. There is excellent RV parking at the battlefield museum and it’s not unreasonable to walk downtown from there if you habitually walk. Or you can rent bicycles at the museum if you are good with that. Or there are trolleys and shuttles all over the place. If you’ve never been there, know that the battlefield is several miles wide and you really need to be able to get around to learn how the history unfolded. It’s worth the effort.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:01 PM   #10

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Im booked for a week at the KOA. Thought it was closer to DC might have to split it up though.

Further spots to visit appreciated.
Old 01-11-2020, 04:35 AM   #11

State: Illinois
THOR #5321
Drummerboy Camping Resort, stayed there a week good campground and close to everything Gettysburg!
Old 01-11-2020, 05:07 AM   #12

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
If you're in Gettysburg it would be a shortish day trip to the Lancaster area. Lots of Amish stuff and outlet malls. Another idea would be Hershey. Both towns are about an hour away from Gettysburg. We spent a couple of weeks in the area last summer. Had stuff to do everyday.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
If you're in Gettysburg it would be a shortish day trip to the Lancaster area. Lots of Amish stuff and outlet malls. Another idea would be Hershey. Both towns are about an hour away from Gettysburg. We spent a couple of weeks in the area last summer. Had stuff to do everyday.

Yes indeed. There’s a nice steam engine railroad tour that’s fun. Valley Forge is also nearby.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:53 PM   #14
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Gettysburg koa is awesome. We were there for 2 weeks last year and enjoyed it very much!
Old 01-16-2020, 12:30 AM   #15

Model: Infinity
THOR #12753
Where to stay in Gettysburg

We stayed at Gettysburg battlefield resort and it was nice but next time it will be roundtop or artillery Ridge Campground. Just to stay somewhere new.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:12 AM   #16

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #11777
Second that

I am from PA and have spent lots of time in the Lancaster County area. It is East of Gettysburg, but definitely worth spending time there. If you go into Lancaster County, Route 30 is a great shopping district with outlets, and all sorts of shopping centers, restaurants, even if you have kids Dutch Wonderland. There is even a a campgrounds right by Dutch Wonderland off Rt 30. Make note though, Rt 30 is a very congested area in shopping district. Make sure also to check out Strasburg Railroad and ride the steam locomotive and tour the museum - very worth it. That alone could take a few hours. Hershey Park and the Chocolate Factory are in Hershey PA. Amusement Park isn’t open in winter- not sure about the chocolate factory. Gettysburg is definitely worth seeing, as well. Great historical area. I spend my camping time in the State Parks and a good one in that area is Pine Grove Furnace and Codorus State Park. They are not open in winter months, though. Oh and if you are touring Lancaster County, you must stop at the Shady Maple Smorgasbord and eat up!
Old 01-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #17

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
6 years ago I took a 2 week motorcycle trip on my Gold Wing trike and headed north. One of the stops was Gettysburg where I stayed at the Artillery Ridge Campground.

As I was towing my Kompac Kamp popup camper I was in need of a 110 outlet instead of the 30/50 outlets on the podium. The folks in the Campground Office kindly provided me an 30/110 adapter.

Artillery Ridge was nice, clean, and well laid out. Had plenty of room for tenters and RVs. The weekend I stayed they were hosting a Boy Scout troop. Campground Store was well stocked with reasonable prices. The Campground was located minutes down the road from the Gettysburg Military Park, town, and Eisenhower Farm.

After two days of relaxation I continued to follow US-30 westward until I entered the Shenandoah Valley and followed Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway south to Asheville, NC and then eastward back home.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:14 PM   #18

Model: Challenger LX
State: South Carolina
THOR #12124
We stayed at Gettysburg Campground 2030 Fairfield Rd. Was very nice and had very good shade. Great Italian place just up the road in a little strip mall, food was excellent! My Brothers Pizza.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #19

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calman View Post
As I was towing my Kompac Kamp popup camper I was in need of a 110 outlet instead of the 30/50 outlets on the podium. The folks in the Campground Office kindly provided me an 30/110 adapter.
You can pick up one of these at Camping World, Walmart, even Home Depot for less than $5. Very compact and always handy to have for those campgrounds that don't have 15 or 20 amp outlets in the pedestal.

We plan to be in Gettysburg this summer. When we lived in Maryland, we spent nearly every weekend in decent weather at Granite Hill campground, but from reviews lately it appears they've gone downhill over the last few years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-01-16 11.27.47.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	22222  
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:27 PM   #20

THOR #16733
Gettysburg

Caledonia State Park is nice, about 20 miles West. Other Pa State parks to the east eqully as nice. While in the area try and go to Antietam & Harper's Ferry, both about 50 miles south and worth the visit.