Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4381
Bryce Canyon and Zion

If planning a trip to Bryce Canyon and Zion...where should we go? Big areas so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:27 AM   #2
vkb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanVFam View Post
If planning a trip to Bryce Canyon and Zion...where should we go? Big areas so any recommendations would be appreciated.
Best thing to do is get a map of Utah if you don't have one. Zion is a beautiful area, but there is very limited parking, which I understand they are addressing, as well as trying to improve the road near the entrance and visitor center,

If you enter from the South, you will go through Zion then on to Bryce. Bryce has a large campground. Keep in mind, this year is the 100th Anniversary of National Parks and people are coming out of the woodwork to visit them.
They are very busy anyway !
I will attach a couple of maps from my Zion brochure...this might help.
Click image for larger version

Name:	map of Zion n Bryce area.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	2516Click image for larger version

Name:	Zion map.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	2517
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:16 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 35SF
State: Utah
THOR #4808
Bryce Canyon and Zion

Zion east entrance (Mt Carmel) - Zion RV Park (Hi Road Campground) is just that, a campground with hookups. Zion Ponderosa Ranch is nicer and fills up faster, but that is an option if available. From there you can easily get to both parks and see what you want to see.
Another option is Panguitch Lake Resort. That's my personal favorite. It's a little more difficult to get to Zion, but camping at the lake is much more enjoyable to me. Float tube and fly rod are required if you stay there though. [emoji6]
There are plenty of other options, but those are a couple I'd do again.

One other thing to mention is, be sure to pick a spot to take photos before the sun sets. The red rocks come alive and that's what makes Bryce. In the middle of the day the canyon isn't as impressive.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:25 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
We've stayed at Ruby's Inn and Campground outside Bryce NP a few times (2 or 3). That area is somewhat unpopulated so there aren't too many choices, but Ruby's had been recommended a long time ago. It was nice, and I would stay there again. First time about 20 years ago and latest about 4 years, and it hadn't changed much.

Zion is great. If you come in from south there is a campground by the visitor's entrance where you take the shuttle buses in and out of park. As I recall the road is about 8 miles long and is closed to traffic unless you are staying at Lodge, which is about half way up. Even then you can't drive cars other than to get to Lodge. We've gone in May or September/October so getting into campground wasn't too difficult. A summer reservation may be tough to get.

If you ride bikes at all make sure you ride in and out of canyon at least once. It's one of the most memorable rides I've ever done. The road is closed to traffic so you feel like you have it all for yourself -- except for shuttle buses or occasional car going to Lodge.

While in that area, if you have a little extra time and haven't seen it before I'd drive over to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It's actually very close -- a few hours away and the drive alone is worth it to me. And the North Rim is one of my favorite places I've ever seen (more like felt -- there is something special about the North Rim for me that I can't describe).

And if you haven't been there before, don't miss the Lodge. They have a nice restaurant there with beautiful view of canyon. Dinner reservations for around sunset are hard to get, and that's in May or Septmember/October. Breakfast at sunrise is nice too (actually, anytime is great). Even if you don't eat there, the observation deck and trails around lodge are great to see.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:10 PM   #5
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
We've stayed at Ruby's Inn and Campground outside Bryce NP a few times (2 or 3). That area is somewhat unpopulated so there aren't too many choices, but Ruby's had been recommended a long time ago. It was nice, and I would stay there again. First time about 20 years ago and latest about 4 years, and it hadn't changed much.

Zion is great. If you come in from south there is a campground by the visitor's entrance where you take the shuttle buses in and out of park. As I recall the road is about 8 miles long and is closed to traffic unless you are staying at Lodge, which is about half way up. Even then you can't drive cars other than to get to Lodge. We've gone in May or September/October so getting into campground wasn't too difficult. A summer reservation may be tough to get.

If you ride bikes at all make sure you ride in and out of canyon at least once. It's one of the most memorable rides I've ever done. The road is closed to traffic so you feel like you have it all for yourself -- except for shuttle buses or occasional car going to Lodge.

While in that area, if you have a little extra time and haven't seen it before I'd drive over to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. It's actually very close -- a few hours away and the drive alone is worth it to me. And the North Rim is one of my favorite places I've ever seen (more like felt -- there is something special about the North Rim for me that I can't describe).

And if you haven't been there before, don't miss the Lodge. They have a nice restaurant there with beautiful view of canyon. Dinner reservations for around sunset are hard to get, and that's in May or Septmember/October. Breakfast at sunrise is nice too (actually, anytime is great). Even if you don't eat there, the observation deck and trails around lodge are great to see.
We agree with you Chance ... We were at Ruby's Camground 2 yrs ago..in June...they have enlarged it . We stayed in the newer area on a lower level..we backed up to the fence/edge of the forest. It was a longer walk up to the shuttle/restaurant etc...but we walk, so it was not an issue.
In that same general area is the Kodacrome Basin State Park, Grand Staircase ..all in that same general area are well worth the time.

We were at the North Rim 3 years ago, along with Lake Powell and the Antelope slot canyon.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-10-2016, 02:14 AM   #6
vkb

THOR #3510
First time dry camping in the Axis...they do have full hookups !
June, 2016 Lake Powell Campground
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome at lake powell.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	2686
Jeep Wrangler TJ