Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 24FE
State: Massachusetts
THOR #12891
Cades Cove Loop Road

Hi, I am taking the Granddaughter to Pigeon Falls, TN. One of the things she wants to do is go on the Cades Cove Loop Road. I have a Freedom Elite 24fe thats 12 Feet high.

Will i have any problems taking the loop road?

Old 07-24-2019, 11:19 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Your RV will easily fit on the road, I took my Vegas on it years ago. The only issue in the summer is traffic and parking. There is lots of traffic in the summer and parking is limited. I would not do it on the weekend, if possible. There is a nice campground at the beginning of the loop, but it is usually full most of the summer.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:45 AM   #3

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Also, be aware that the road is closed to motor vehicle traffic on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. Best time to go is early morning before the crowds develop. Also, it may be problematic to park in some of the pull-off areas to do some leisurely viewing.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #4

Model: Quantum PD 31
State: Virginia
THOR #7506
Cades Cove

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapinmansfield View Post
Hi, I am taking the Granddaughter to Pigeon Falls, TN. One of the things she wants to do is go on the Cades Cove Loop Road. I have a Freedom Elite 24fe thats 12 Feet high.

Will i have any problems taking the loop road?
If you stay on the loop you will be fine. We took our toad(CRV) when we went and I set my gps to return to campground, blasted thing took us on a one lane gravel road over a mountain(11 miles long),,,glad we were in the car it was hair raising
We did meet a nice bear family on top of the mountain....Momma and 3 cubs so pictures were taken from inside the car!!!! Just stay on the main loop and dont trust your GPS for the shortest route out of the park, you'll be fine. Great park to see Bear and deer though.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
One of the most gorgeous places to visit...another plus...if you have Jeep or 4X4 toad, there are several mild trails leading off the mountain at Cades Cove that end in different areas at the bottom. Really private, shaded trails that cross through creeks and stuff with nice scenic views along the way. Like everyone says...go on off days.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:32 PM   #6

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
If you're fit and able bicycle around the Cades Cove Loop, that is the best way to see it

Beautiful place, lived near there for 10 years
Old 07-24-2019, 08:56 PM   #7

Brand: Jayco
Model: Precept 31UL
State: Tennessee
THOR #14508
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdude View Post
If you stay on the loop you will be fine. We took our toad(CRV) when we went and I set my gps to return to campground, blasted thing took us on a one lane gravel road over a mountain(11 miles long),,,glad we were in the car it was hair raising

HA! Rich Mountain Road! Really nice drive... in a 4X4! We have a great view of Rich Mtn. from our front deck.