Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2018, 06:18 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Camping over Thanksgiving? Our plan is...

Managed to snag a primo pull thru spot In Brookings, OR for the long weekend..
Will do a pork roast in the crock and pie in the gas oven..
What are your plans?

Beachfront RV Park - Brookings, OR - RV Park Reviews

Welcome

Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:42 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
We will be in Dade City, FL doing a build as part of Habitat for Humanity Care-a-Van program. Spoke with other people attending and we plan to smoke a whole turkey breast, roasted corn on the cob, sweet taters and pumpkin pie. My Homebrew club just bottled a pumpkin ale so we will have some for dinner as well.
Old 10-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 31z
State: Arizona
THOR #8277
Wife and I are staying at Davidson River campground in Brevard NC. It’s only a couple of miles from the house but hey we’ll be camping! Have a couple of good restaurants that serve Thanksgiving dinner so will probably have dinner at one of them.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:52 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Plan of parking our RV in daughter's driveway in Tallahassee over T'giving and sleep in it. T'giving dinner is still up in the air, may do it at her house or just go to a restaurant. Oldest son and his family will be staying in her house. Have tickets to FL/Fl State game in Tallahassee that weekend. Spend 1 more night after the game, then head for home back in Astor. GO NOLES!!!
Old 11-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
Plan of parking our RV in daughter's driveway in Tallahassee over T'giving and sleep in it. T'giving dinner is still up in the air, may do it at her house or just go to a restaurant. Oldest son and his family will be staying in her house. Have tickets to FL/Fl State game in Tallahassee that weekend. Spend 1 more night after the game, then head for home back in Astor. GO NOLES!!!
So you're going from Astor past us here in Lake City to Tallahassee.
We'll be going the opposite way from Lake City past you in Astor to De Leon Springs to my MIL's house for camping, then to her youngest son's house about 5 miles away for T-Day festivities.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.5
THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
So you're going from Astor past us here in Lake City to Tallahassee.
We'll be going the opposite way from Lake City past you in Astor to De Leon Springs to my MIL's house for camping, then to her youngest son's house about 5 miles away for T-Day festivities.
We try to avoid the Interstates when going to Tallahassee. Take back roads over to US 27, up thru Chiefland an on to Talla . via 27 & 19. Takes a little longer but scenery is much better.
You probably already know about The Old Sugar Mill restaurant in DeLeon Spg's SP. Our grandkids love going there and making their own pancakes. But, don't go there on a warm morning. Gets hot in there with all those griddles going and no A/C. We take pontoon boat...nice trip down the St. Johns and thru Lakes Dexter and Woodruff. Best part is, if you go to the park by boat, you don't have to pay admission!
Old 11-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #7

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
We plan to be home by Thanksgiving. I don't want to drive over the holiday. We are from Lakeland, FL and are currently in Defuniak Springs, FL then on to New Orleans, to Bayou Vista, Texas for a week for a family reunion then back home before Thanksgiving.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:41 AM   #8

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
I envy all of you camping this Thanksgiving and even Christmas/New Years. GF and I usually camp the weekend after Thanksgiving and then head up to Lake Jordan for a New Years Eve under the stars.

I'm getting left knee replaced (again) Tuesday so I'll have to walk very softly and slowing for a while.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:06 AM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I envy all of you folks that are still camping... In Iowa my Miramar is down for its long winter's nap.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #10

Model: 2016 Axis 25.2
THOR #12340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I envy all of you folks that are still camping... In Iowa my Miramar is down for its long winter's nap.
There is no napping when you live in Florida. You don't have to winterize anything. Maybe if you love in the panhandle, but not where we are . Our winter trip may be to Key West
Old 11-04-2018, 06:44 PM   #11

Model: 2015 ACE 29.3
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4359
My cousin and I will be camping in Lancaster PA for thanksgiving ....got the two electric heaters ready and the wet bay heater ..plenty of firewood and the place we are staying at has a indoor heated pool...all good to go
I will bring the smoker and should be good on eats
Two years ago we went to Ricketts glen state park weekend after thanksgiving...at 22 degrees at night the family was not to happy so electric is a must now..
Old 11-05-2018, 01:19 AM   #12

Model: Four Winds 22E
THOR #10761
Wife and I and 2 kitties will be at my parents property in Congress AZ for the week of thanksgiving. They have a ton of space for us to park the RV and power and water. Will be nice to be in her for a week, away from home and work.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #13

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
"So you're going from Astor past us here in Lake City to Tallahassee.
We'll be going the opposite way from Lake City past you in Astor to De Leon Springs"

An idea..."Thor Forum RV Share"...we can just swap RV's with other members in the areas we wish to travel!! Drive the Caddy...make sure they wear the same size clothes and drink the same brand beer as you.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #14

Model: Chateau 26B
State: Montana
THOR #6733
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Managed to snag a primo pull thru spot In Brookings, OR for the long weekend..
Will do a pork roast in the crock and pie in the gas oven..
What are your plans?

Beachfront RV Park - Brookings, OR - RV Park Reviews

Welcome
You shouldn't say where you are staying, with that spread you might have drop ins! Sounds great. Too cold here now for camping. So I'm going to a friends.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:31 AM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
THOR #11784
I will be in Homosassa Springs, Florida. Wife loves all the wildlife.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:25 PM   #16

State: New Hampshire
THOR #8390
We’re heading down to the Outer Banks from NH. My Dad will meet us there. He’ll bring a turkey so we don’t have to keep one in the fridge on the way down. Unlike normal years, I’ll buy premade , frozen pies, do a couple sides that prep easy in the microwave. We cook the turkey in an electric cooker anyway. Doubt it will matter that much if that thing is sitting on my kitchen counter or a picnic table. Looking forward to checking on the turkey from my chair facing the beach. I love hosting at my house, but last years’ guests were a handful, so I’m taking a time out.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:57 PM   #17

Model: Vegas
THOR #11153
There’s also no napping in Phoenix, AZ. We have had enough hot weather, even though it is cooling down a little. We are going up to son’s house in Idaho. They have plenty of room to park.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #18

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: California
THOR #12941
Headed to Portland

I will be leaving Los Angeles headed to Portland for the holiday. I'll be stopping at the boarding school I attended in Canyonville and seeing friends along the way. Thanksgiving dinner will be at the Portland City Grill with my son overlooking the city and river. Then back down the coast leisurely. Maybe you'll have leftovers!
Old 11-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #19

Model: Compass 23 TB
State: Ontario
THOR #13224
US Thanksgiving

Up here in Ontario Canada I have not covered up my new Compass 23 TB (sitting in the driveway) and plan on putting on a little heat , smoke a small turkey and ribs, invite our neighbors over and watch football and have a few cold ones and a few cocktails and if its not too cold watch it on the outdoor screen for at least the first game or could go inside the MH and watch there.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: New Jersey
THOR #13293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datura View Post
We’re heading down to the Outer Banks from NH. My Dad will meet us there. He’ll bring a turkey so we don’t have to keep one in the fridge on the way down. Unlike normal years, I’ll buy premade , frozen pies, do a couple sides that prep easy in the microwave. We cook the turkey in an electric cooker anyway. Doubt it will matter that much if that thing is sitting on my kitchen counter or a picnic table. Looking forward to checking on the turkey from my chair facing the beach. I love hosting at my house, but last years’ guests were a handful, so I’m taking a time out.
In case you aren't aware, Bob Evans makes great pre-made mashed potatoes (microwave, stove top heated...we've even put them in a smaller crockpot for holiday meals). From "individual size" to "family size". We stopped making mashed by hand a few years ago after discovering them. Just get the "Original Mashed" or they will be dry as hell...Lol

Also for anyone traveling Thanksgiving Day. Crackerbarrel is open 8am to 10pm on Thanksgiving. We had dinner there last night and I noticed their Thanksgiving Day hours. Also, the wife ordered the fried turkey special and it was awesome.!