Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #1
BRT

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Ontario
THOR #15429
Thumbs up Canada crossing

Dreams of going south for winter are fading so we are considering going to Vancouver Island for the winter from Ontario. Vehicle insurance only permits us to drive our Hurricane 34R out of the province for 6 months. This means we would have to cross Canada during the 2nd half of October and return during the first half of April. We would winterize and stay at hotels on our journey plus have the appropriate chains. We would never drive in snowy conditions, and would wait out inclement weather. So....has anyone done something like this, and do you have advice? Are we crazy to consider this trip?

Old 07-22-2020, 11:50 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Try to think of it as the great adventure, that it is bound to be...
Old 07-23-2020, 12:19 AM   #3

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
I have driven that trip many times. As Bob says, it's a great adventure. Take your time and don't be in a hurry.
I've never done the trip in October or April - but my father-in-law did it several times during those months from New Brunswick. The only problem he ever had was in northern BC coming into Yukon. It was snowing. So he just held up and in a couple of days it was melted and he was on his way.
The weather is unpredictable. It could be great - nice fall temps. It could be cold and blustery. But during those months, it will not last. If you get a storm, it will be melted and gone within a few days.
In the Yukon (which is a heck of a lot further north than you'll be going), we says any snow that falls AFTER Halloween will stay to April. Before and after that, it comes and goes.
Even if there's a bit of snow, they keep the main roads clear. I wouldn't worry about it. Go for it and enjoy the trip. It's a really good ride.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:56 AM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
You have demonstrated being crazy when you bought an RV. Any other questions?

Enjoy the adventure and be safe.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:30 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
Vancouver Island is beautiful, You will love it! The island has many different climates so do your homework.