Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2018, 10:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Completed the Natchez Trace Parkway

Completed the Natchez Trace Parkway on Sunday, Nov. 11th. Started from the Natchez end on Nov. 6th. Beautiful trees changing to fall colors most of the 444 miles of the Parkway. The northern-most last 100 miles, or so, many of the colorful leaves had already fallen off trees. Nice relaxing drive, did most of it at 45 mph (speed limit is 50). Regularly saw deer on roadsides and crossing the road. Temps got down to 27 last Friday night in northern MS.
Our last day on the Parkway, Sunday, started out great but by the time we got near the end in the Nashville metro area, traffic picked up substantially. A lot of locals apparently use the Parkway as a commuter route. We'd selected a campground for that night and, unfortunately, our year old Garmin GPS 770 decided to take us on an unplanned 30 mile tour of some of Nashville's bedroom communities. Gets dark there around 5:30 PM, so we were soon driving around in the dark, looking for our campground. Finally gave up on the Garmin and used GPS in my iPhone, which generally is better. It brought us to the campground we'd chosen, that the Garmin couldn't seem to locate, about 7 PM, only to find the gate locked with a sign saying "Closed for Winter". We'd tried calling the offiice to make a reservation but got no answer. Guess that was what us cops call a "clue". By then we were mad, hungry and frustrated. Decided to seek a Cracker Barrel, and found one about 20 miles south. Went there, had dinner and they said we could dry camp in their parking lot for the night, so we did. One other motor home there. First time parking lot camping for us, but all was good and we got a needed good night's sleep. Hit the road Monday, heading south, on what was to be a 2 day drive home. Stopped for an overnight in Carrollton, GA in a nice county park there. Office was closed due to Veterans' Day, and park host wasn't there either, so we picked an open site and set up for the night. All went well until the morning when we went to dump or holding tanks. When I pulled the black water valve, thanks to Thor's sorry build practices, the black water sewer line, where it attaches to the dump valve, separated, spraying 2 days worth of shitty water EVERYWHERE. Our Axis is a 2017 model, bought new only about 18 month ago. So, you shouldn't have to expect that the plumbing would already be falling apart...but that's Thor. That was the last straw. So, yesterday, Tuesday, Nov. 13th, we drove for 11 hours to get home about 7:45 PM. A crappy ending to an otherwise great trip. Now, I have a number of repairs to accomplish myself or have done. Think I mentioned previously that our first day out, we lost the TV antenna...no idea where or when because we didn't hit or hear anything. So, our collection of previously watched DVD's got watched again. Covered a total of 2,227 miles and 5 states; FL, AL, MS, TN & GA. Saw some real devastation from Hurricane Michael in FL panhandle, between Tallahassee and Pensecola and also pecan groves in GA. I do highly recommend the Natchez Trace Parkway for an RV trip.
Can 't wait for our next adventure!

Old 11-15-2018, 02:08 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Great report, thanks!

Wonder if an update of your Garmin would have given you proper directions. Either way, it's a good reminder to update before a trip.

Too bad Mrs OldChief wasn't there to record your Robin Williams moment with the dump. You could have made some $$$ with that!
Old 11-15-2018, 10:35 AM   #3

THOR #4802
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
Great report, thanks!

Wonder if an update of your Garmin would have given you proper directions. Either way, it's a good reminder to update before a trip.

Too bad Mrs OldChief wasn't there to record your Robin Williams moment with the dump. You could have made some $$$ with that!
I updated my Garmin 770 when I got it about a year ago. The campground near Nashville that it couldn't find has been there for decades, so it's location certainly should have been programmed there. I like many features of the Garmin 770 but have repeatedly found my iPhone GPS to be much more consistently correct and accurate.
I do intend to update it again.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #4

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
What a great write up!! Thank you Old Chief.

PS: We seen the phantom campgrounds thing also. Generally use RV Park Reviews - Trusted Reviews of Campgrounds & RV Parks to find the best campground, then locate it on our GPS.

PSS: What a crappy pull! :-)
Old 11-27-2018, 02:23 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Great report out. Natchez trace is a beautiful drive. We did it last year.

Only an antenae and the plumbing issue? Thor must be improving! We usually have a half dozen or so each outing!
Old 11-28-2018, 10:21 PM   #6

THOR #4802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve70605 View Post
Great report out. Natchez trace is a beautiful drive. We did it last year.

Only an antenae and the plumbing issue? Thor must be improving! We usually have a half dozen or so each outing!
The antenna and plumbing issues were the ones I couldn't repair on the road. Took care of several other 'issues' such as broken/stuck drawer and cabinet door latches, lose screws and bolts, etc. and replaced a panel in the bathroom that fell off, while we were traveling. Like a boat, there's always something needing repair.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:10 PM   #7

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
The antenna and plumbing issues were the ones I couldn't repair on the road. Took care of several other 'issues' such as broken/stuck drawer and cabinet door latches, lose screws and bolts, etc. and replaced a panel in the bathroom that fell off, while we were traveling. Like a boat, there's always something needing repair.
That's more like it. If my "Honey Do" list has less than 6 entries after a trip I feel unappreciated.