Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2017, 12:57 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Cracker Barrel

For those of you who have stayed overnight at CB would you recommend it? Did you feel safe staying there?

Old 08-01-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
For those of you who have stayed overnight at CB would you recommend it? Did you feel safe staying there?
We have never stayed in a CB parking lot, but have stayed, in a pinch, at WalMart. I would think it cannot be any worse than that! If the location appears good...at least you have a good place to have breakfast !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:52 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We have never stayed at a CB but I do know someone (not on the forums here) that exclusively stays at CB's. They always call ahead to make sure its ok, arrive near or after closing and always have breakfast in the morning before leaving.

They find it a bit quieter than a Walmart lot.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:10 AM   #4

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
We've spent a few nights on CB lots.
Get there before dark, check in with the greeter (manager always busy) eat, get up in the morning eat and tell them thank you.
Always very guiet, only one there 1 night, the parking lot lighting isn't as bright as Walmart.

We recommend CB camping because of the good food, easy off/on and very quiet lot.

ab&jb
Old 08-01-2017, 04:40 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
We have made use of Cracker Barrel several times. We arrive after the supper rush but not too late to have a good supper, check with the desk for an OK, and stay for breakfast before rolling on. Quieter than many Walmarts and have not yet felt uncomfortable in the lot. Pulling a toad means scouting the lot on foot before picking a spot where extra length won't cause a problem.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca
Old 08-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I've stayed at CB and Wal Mart both, prefer Wal Mart. It's nice that CB allows MHs to stay but their lots are not lit very well after dark and they are Many times located in areas with not much traffic. Wal Mart can be busy but the lots are generally well lit and there is a lot more traffic.

If I stay somewhere like CB or Wal Mart I'm usually only there long enough to take a quick nap and then on my way. Given a choice I think I prefer Wal Mart.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:02 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
CBs are way too crowded and very difficult to manuever, especially larger coaches.... we've found recently that Cabela's have excellent lots, RV specific parking 'overnight' areas, and very easy to drive into. The one in Ohio that we are at now has 'pull thru' spaces, and even a dump station.... sweet.

Home Depots and Lowes are also other nice large lots, and they typically don't mind the RV overnighters, though their traffic late into the evening, like Walmarts, can be annoying.... but they are a good option.

Other large store parking lots can work, too, especially when they are in an area where you have a large number of restaurants and shopping to walk to, but don't look at staying at 'Malls', as they typically do NOT allow overnighters as they employ local security 'drivers' to keep us away.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:04 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Stayed at many CB's and really like it. As other posters have mentioned I get there right before dark and have supper get up in the morning and have breakfast. They open at 6am so we can eat and get on the road. I like CB's because they are all located right off the Interstate or main hwy. I find this better than driving through a city to find a Walmart that might be in a undesirable part of a town that I'm unfamiliar with. I vote Cracker Barrel.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
The allstay's website has a section on overnight parking, with maps of various retailers that may allow it:
https://www.allstays.com/c/camping-o...rv-parking.htm
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #10

THOR #6203
Thanks everyone!
I'm using the Allstays app to find a free overnight in Oklahoma City. Most of the WalMarts I find there according to Allstays don't allow overnight parking. There is a CB, so it may be my best option.
I will be traveling alone and this will be my first time overnighting at any place other than a campground, so I'm a little anxious.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #11

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Thanks everyone!
I'm using the Allstays app to find a free overnight in Oklahoma City. Most of the WalMarts I find there according to Allstays don't allow overnight parking. There is a CB, so it may be my best option.
I will be traveling alone and this will be my first time overnighting at any place other than a campground, so I'm a little anxious.
Rest easy and go to Cracker Barrel.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:28 PM   #12

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
Quote:
Thanks everyone!
Get a Beware of Dog decal and stick it on the outside door window!
Old 08-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #13

Model: Challenger 37LX
State: Arizona
THOR #7863
Quote:
Originally Posted by airforceret View Post
Get a Beware of Dog decal and stick it on the outside door window!

This forum should have a "like" button or a + to show appreciation of a good post!
The only thing necessary for evil to prosper,
Is that good men do nothing.
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:04 PM   #14

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
THOR #5196
Better yet, get a decal of a Glock and stick that on the door! What I should really get is a sticker that says "I'm married to a redhead, enter a your own risk", only problem is I'd probably be the one with the lumps on my head!!!
Old 08-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #15

THOR #6203
So the consensus is, a beware of dog sticker (for my not so brave dog), a Glock sticker (for my Glock 19) and since I'm a red head, that should have it covered!
Old 08-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #16
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Thanks everyone!
Walmart's that DON'T allow overnight parking are typically due to a local ordinance prohibiting it... A CB in the same location would likely have the same issue...

I always call ahead and ask.

Quote:
So the consensus is, a beware of dog sticker (for my not so brave dog), a Glock sticker (for my Glock 19) and since I'm a red head, that should have it covered!
That should cover it!!
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #17

Model: Four Winds 26B
THOR #6414
Quote:
Yes that about covers it. Except I think an NRA sticker works far better than a Glock sticker....

But seriously.... just beware that looks are deceiving. It may be well lit, and a nice parking lot, but still not in the best neighborhood. As long as you keep the door locked and aren't out wondering around at all hours of the night you'll likely be fine. And if you find yourself still really paranoid then consider installing some motion sensors in key areas to use when you stop for the night. You can get just the lights or lights with alarms...

Battery - Outdoor Flood & Spot Lights - Outdoor Security Lighting - The Home Depot
Old 08-02-2017, 06:16 PM   #18

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
We have several times
generally I'd say I prefer them over a WM because of less traffic....I feel like it's a little less likely for a drug deal to be going down next to me
but I've been in some WM that were better, and some CB's that based on part of town or layout of the lot that I rejected as a "no-way"

I find that I don't relax well at any parking lot.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:40 PM   #19

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Generally, we prefer CB over WM, and have stayed at many of both. We always talk to the manager for an OK, and have dinner before turning in. Have been at some where the Bus/RV parking didn't work and it was no problem to go to the least used part of the lot.

We lean on the website/app OvernightRVParking heavily, and typically spend about 10-20% of our trip nights in one of the free places in their database. It is $25/yr, crowd sourced and when you update, you sometimes get an extension on your subscription. Gives you much more information than just if they allow or not.

Specifically, in OKC, the ap shows several WMs and a Sams, a CB, a Bass Pro, an Elks that all allow, and some TA truck stops that are a maybe. Your choice might depend on what part of town you will be going to.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:55 PM   #20

THOR #6203
I'm just passing through Oklahoma City on my way to Santa Fe and parts west!
I will check out that app! Thank you for your help!