Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-20-2021, 08:08 PM   #21
Cpd

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Our GPS has saved us quite a few times. Imo it was a cheap price for the peace of mind.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:15 PM   #22

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If you want old school, pick up a Motor Carriers Atlas at a truck stop. This atlas has a listing of all low clearances & load rated highways by state in the front. All roads suitable for truck travel are highlighted, which shouldn't ever be an issue in a class C & most class As.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:25 PM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I ALWAYS check my trusty Garmin with an RV atlas. The Garmin is great but the lady in there isn’t as smart as she thinks she is. Sent me down a dead end dirt road in the rain on a Friday night once and another time tried to route me around a section of I70 because she thought there was a 10,000 pound rated bridge in Ohio.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:39 PM   #24

State: California
THOR #18089
I use an AM transistor radio. Sometimes the DJ will tell you about a wreck. It's kind of old school, but it worked for grandpa.
Old 02-20-2021, 11:50 PM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbh View Post
I use an AM transistor radio. Sometimes the DJ will tell you about a wreck. It's kind of old school, but it worked for grandpa.
Android app
police scanner

Android app
Waze

These apps turn
Sometimes
Into
Always.

Your grandpa would have used it if he had access to it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:51 PM   #26

THOR #13932
I'm not exactly understanding the Luddite level of refusal to use a good tool readily available.
It's not even an expense if you have a smart phone.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:59 PM   #27

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvbh View Post

I love that! My grandpa wondered with a TT in the 60s and I often think of him in our travels. I’m sure he’d have used a GPS if he could have but I respect the journey that he took.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:33 AM   #28

State: California
THOR #18089
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I'm not exactly understanding the Luddite level of refusal to use a good tool readily available.
I know right? Get this, I know a guy who still uses a telephone landline, hilarious. Then there's a lady down the way who, and you won't believe it, still writes paper checks. Oh, and I even know a few who, believe it or not, are still hooked up to Dish, or Direct, or cable or something. I giggled when I think how 1990's that is. To use your most favorite word, what a bunch of Luddites! On a sad note though there's that guy we called "Geeky Gary" who ran his rig off Highway 43 while poking his finger at two smart phones and a laptop trying to find the next Cracker Barrel. We buried his ashes in the same box his new I-phoneGalaxyGarminS62 came in.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:50 PM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Did you even notice that Beth has put her rig up for sale? Equating someone with a "Luddite" is not cool...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:38 PM   #30

Brand: DRV
Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
And then there is the story that I know of where a fellow RV'er had an issue with "modern technology." They were traveling somewhere in the NE and their On-Star system wanted to route them onto a highway that did not allow trucks and RV's. He kept trying to get around On-Star's instructions and ended up in a downtown area. Calls to On-Star's actual representatives for routing and help from a local policeman got him a route back to a proper highway.

However, what the policeman and On-Star didn't know was that there was a low clearance overpass that had to go through. Yeppers...it peeled back the roof of their fifth wheel.

I know of this because the guy involved contacted me and asked about DRV Suites fifth wheels. Seems that insurance totaled their RV and they placed an order for a new fifth wheel from their original manufacturer. However, that manufacturer went out of business before their new RV could be built.

So, while we have one of the Rand-McNally Overdryve systems, I still always look at maps and view potential problem locations with Google Maps' satellite imagery. The funny part is that we bought the Rand-McNally system for use on our Summer work gig. We do road condition surveying in various states and I use their system to get from points A to B and to tell if a street that I am on is one where I can "go around the block" or not. (Our work vehicle is NOT an RV, but a regular type cargo van with extra lasers, cameras, and other sensors on board. Height can be a problem with some of the vans begin around 9 1/2 feet because of cameras on top.)
Terry and Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:09 PM   #31

THOR #6826
Different strokes for different folks. Personally, I try not to judge others for the decisions they make.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There's something to be said about withholding judgement until you've walked a mile in someone else's shoes...
Old 02-21-2021, 03:37 PM   #33
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Did you even notice that Beth has put her rig up for sale? Equating someone with a "Luddite" is not cool...
Actually, her classified ad is gone:

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 03:49 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
That might mean that she's gotten some good news. (Hopefully!)
Old 02-21-2021, 05:11 PM   #35

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Perhaps you read my repsonse to beths sale post.

If not Luddite, than what?

Buggywhip and typewriter.
Usable but the value/time/ability is certainly questioned.
I have a gazateer for every state we offroad in.
It is not primary. With what's available it should not be considered primary, no more than taking your horse to walmart is the best or even reasonable, tack.
One step Less than a paper map is hanging your head out the window and asking a local. This has its advantages...on occasion, not as a rule.

I did not say to take to my path. I said some here use a path that has been greatly improved upon. To disregard those improved paths simply for the sake of disregarding them...is Luddite territory.

Have your paper map find an open cafe at 3 am or an emergency clinic and their phone number.
Get back to us.
There isn't a thing wrong with a map. There is a thing wrong wit not considering the better tool for any job. I can change a clutch with a pipe wrench and a big screwdriver. It does not suit the job well.

The pictures are of about half of my maps for what equates to about ONE county and a vaguely small percentage of another.
I rely heavily on old technology. I do not mire myself because of it.

But those without a smart phone have a reason. Its unreasonable usually, but they have their own reason.
Just don't try to foist it on me as some cure for the evils of advancement,
If you're not running bias ply tires as part of the 'not me' plan, where does technology stop for you?

My original response was so those maybe unfamiliar and a bit apprehensive could see the myriad of choices and availabilities.
This response is to question why something as fully serving as a map app is disdained.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0221211022b~01.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	28664   Click image for larger version

Name:	0221211022a~01.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	28665  

Old 02-21-2021, 05:31 PM   #36
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I never said you were,wrong: I simply object to the harsh language uaed...
Old 02-21-2021, 05:40 PM   #37

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
We used a Garmin that once it was updated was totally useless, had the truck GPS that was 99% accurate, used Google maps on the phone which matched the truck MOST of the time, tried the Waze app which sucked horribly & then there were just times that there was no better option than the map you can't refold or an atlas. At times using all those sources, except Waze, for the same trip.
The point being don't just follow one route source blindly, there's no telling where you may wind up.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:51 PM   #38

THOR #13932
I THINK waze doesn't have roads on it that a waze user hasn't driven on.
My neighborhood is missing entirely except up to my place.
I find Waze aggrevating. I've never navigated with it as a map to a specifc destination. I have options I'm more familiar\less exasperated with . I'm kinda 'bout options.
Waze tells me of slowdowns and construction and gives me the best/soonest chance of missing a road accident stoppage and taking some alternate. It saved us about 5 hours on our trip to pick up the rv. Truck fire.

Once, on the 17, i was two cars behind a truck fire, then a motorcyclist dies on the road out of. Sedona, so there were no roads north as alternates. I did use waze to contact other waze folks telling them to not try the sedona route. I was on it for a couple of hours doing updates on the burned truck We were front row to.

So it runs on one of the screens and is glanced at by the navigator if it displays something unusual.
Same with the police scanner. It's there to use, or not. They're options, not necessity.

Old 02-21-2021, 06:44 PM   #39

Model: Daybreak
THOR #377
I’m the navigator for our rig and have always used Apple Maps. They very seldom lead me astray. (Google maps has done that too often for me). I also use Allstays Camp & RV app. It has a very good low clearance section as well as state, county, private campgrounds Walmart, Cabelas, etc. And it’s free.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:58 AM   #40

State: Ohio
THOR #15042
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
Welcome to the forum. I use the Gamin (RV Program) since I program my motor home's height plus I also program no tolls. It also gives me advanced notice on fuel stations, R V Campgrounds and food stops. I use it as a guide and still look for some of those out of the way family stops.

Paul
I never drive anywhere with out my Garmin’s it has built in dash camera I love the display of the road and I don’t have to look hard for street signs it will tell me ahead of time, and the camera record my drive so if someone run the red light it’s on video. Years ago l was supposed to change highway and I was daydreaming and my wife sleeping so I drove 60 miles before I realized. I also use my Garmin’s gps with back up camera