Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2021, 02:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Freak winter weather in Texas

I hope all the snowbirds in Central Texas are staying safe and warm with this freak snow/ice/hard freeze storm. I have lived here since 1985 and this is the first time I had to shovel snow. It is not normally like this. I have worn shorts and played golf in 85 degree weather on this date. If you can hang on until next week, things will warm up.

Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 01:55 AM   #2

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
It's bad here in Louisiana too. My MH is in the driveway and plugged up. I winterized it a few days ago with the pink stuff. I have a space heater going inside and it keeps the temps inside up in the mid 40's during the coldest temps we've had, low teens.
I've been breaking up ice today on my patios and steps.

I can imagine what some of the snowbirds are going through. I'm hearing propane is hard to find. I'm hearing about the blackouts in Tx and many in my state as well. It looks like we have another round to deal with starting tomorrow morning here.
You guys stay safe and warm.
Old 02-17-2021, 02:25 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
. At least we warmed up into the mid-forties here.
... But back down to 12 degrees overnight.
Old 02-18-2021, 08:40 PM   #4

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Snow birding from Indiana in Corpus Christi. This is a very taxing adventure for sure. But the RV is doing it’s best to keep us warm. A bit bored but doing ok. DW is getting near the end of her rope. And we still have to get back to Indiana in a couple of weeks. Think maybe we’ll go back to Florida next year.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:50 PM   #5

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
Texas Weather

I just read where our local Florida utility sent crews to Texas.

Best Wishes and concern to Texas forum members and snowbirds who are haveing to endure the lack of electricity, fuel, and water. Texas has a lot of nice folks who are suffering.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:43 PM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
I just read where our local Florida utility sent crews to Texas.

Best Wishes and concern to Texas forum members and snowbirds who are haveing to endure the lack of electricity, fuel, and water. Texas has a lot of nice folks who are suffering.

Finally a break in the weather. Only in the 40s but it sure feels nice. Looks like I can unwinterize today!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3320.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	28630  
Old 02-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 11:29 PM   #8

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
We live in the Houston area and lost power for 48 hours, from Monday morning through Wednesday morning. We suffered through Monday night with outside temps around 14 or 15 and temps in the house down around 45.

On Tuesday, things weren’t looking much better so I went to the storage yard we use and drove our Challenger home and parked it in the street in front of our house. Cranked up the generator, the propane furnace and the electric fireplace and got the MH pretty toasty. I was also able to run our home’s two refrigerators off of the MH generator. Slept much better Tuesday night.

Finally got power back on Wednesday and returned the Challenger to the storage yard. Nice to have a Plan B!!
Old 02-20-2021, 12:15 AM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
"Plan B": That would make for a pretty good license plate.
Old 02-20-2021, 12:36 AM   #10

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
We live in the Houston area and lost power for 48 hours, from Monday morning through Wednesday morning. We suffered through Monday night with outside temps around 14 or 15 and temps in the house down around 45.

On Tuesday, things weren’t looking much better so I went to the storage yard we use and drove our Challenger home and parked it in the street in front of our house. Cranked up the generator, the propane furnace and the electric fireplace and got the MH pretty toasty. I was also able to run our home’s two refrigerators off of the MH generator. Slept much better Tuesday night.

Finally got power back on Wednesday and returned the Challenger to the storage yard. Nice to have a Plan B!!
That was a great idea.
The last hurricane we went through, I drove my MH to one of my neighbors who didn't have a generator so they could charge their freezers and fridge from my generator.
Old 02-24-2021, 04:24 AM   #11

Brand: DRV
Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
This isn't "Texas-related," but just a wee bit north of there. Here in central Oklahoma, we had one day where our temps dropped down to -7 one morning. At 4:55 am, we still had water...at 7:00 am, all was froze up. And, silly me, I apparently didn't have water in our fresh water tank.

Anyway, the next morning, it got down to -16 degrees. After considering everything, I decided that our water supply hoses froze up outside. In the past, when things got down close to 0 degrees, one hot water line to the kitchen sink in our fifth wheel would be the only thing that froze up. Our supply hoses are wrapped with heat tape and are inside two different sizes of foam insulation tubes, but it was just too cold even for that protection. A day or two later, it got up near 20 degrees and the heat tapes thawed out the supply hoses.

Later, after helping our son get a "new to him" house ready to move into, I was putting away tools in their proper places. Two sets go on the rear floor of our Ford F450, but I didn't want to get a bunch of snow on my shoes. So, I got out a small shovel the wife wanted to buy one time.

Just goes to show, that living full time in an RV doesn't give one much room for a decent sized shovel for snow accumulations.

Terry
Terry and Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:50 AM   #12

Model: Citation
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I hope all the snowbirds in Central Texas are staying safe and warm with this freak snow/ice/hard freeze storm. I have lived here since 1985 and this is the first time I had to shovel snow. It is not normally like this. I have worn shorts and played golf in 85 degree weather on this date. If you can hang on until next week, things will warm up.
1 week ago -2 on our outdoor thermometer, 80 and shorts today, looks like our 2 weeks of winter is over
Old 02-24-2021, 05:03 AM   #13

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Yup, Full Timers here.. Filled up the fuel & water/dumped tanks day before all hell broke loose..
Retracted the slide, put the water hose & filters in the basement bay, and closed everything outside up.. and Ran the gennie for 88 hours straight..

Had no issues
Today it hit 80 deg, so went for a walk.....Palm trees and the cacti sure took a beating..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:51 PM   #14

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Two words. “Global warming”. Pssst.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 02:18 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Two words. “Global warming”. Pssst.
I am actively rooting for global warming now...
...Don't like the cold anymore!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Yup, Full Timers here.. Filled up the fuel & water/dumped tanks day before all hell broke loose..
Retracted the slide, put the water hose & filters in the basement bay, and closed everything outside up.. and Ran the gennie for 88 hours straight..

Had no issues
Today it hit 80 deg, so went for a walk.....Palm trees and the cacti sure took a beating..
Same story here, When the house lost electricity Monday morning, we took the golf cart and the 3 cats to the Hurricane. I started the generator, bumped the heat to 75, turned the frig on, and plugged in the electric heater and the electric mattress pad. While the coach was warming, I took the golf cart back to the house for food and set the facets on drip. I had to use a propane torch to move the outside hose bibs. We watched the electrical and natural gas fiasco on the TVs. I made the trip back to the house on Tuesday afternoon to clean out the freezer. The house was down to 62 degrees. The Hurricane's generator ran from Monday noon until noon on Friday, except for a two hour trip into the City, on Thursday to buy 45 gallons of gas. I checked the house on Thursday and the indoor temp was 42 degrees. The Village's front desk called at 8am Friday morning and said power was on to the entire village. The house was back to 76 degrees when we move back in. It will be interesting to see what City Power Systems decides to charge us for the power we did not get.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:45 PM   #17
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
We're on south padre island and weren't expecting THAT weather. Water was frozen, no electricity and to top it off our heat wasn't working eventhough we had it fixed a few weeks back. It was darned cold in our rv but we survived.
3-1/2 days without sure taxed the patience. We ran our rig and oven to get enough heat, played lots of cards and cribbage!
Old 02-27-2021, 01:56 AM   #18

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpd View Post
We're on south padre island and weren't expecting THAT weather. Water was frozen, no electricity and to top it off our heat wasn't working eventhough we had it fixed a few weeks back. It was darned cold in our rv but we survived.
3-1/2 days without sure taxed the patience. We ran our rig and oven to get enough heat, played lots of cards and cribbage!
Yup, We are just a few miles from You..[Rio Hondo @ Twin Palms]
Will be pulling up stakes Monday and head to Sargent, TX.for several days..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:09 PM   #19
Cpd

State: New Hampshire
THOR #14097
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Yup, We are just a few miles from You..[Rio Hondo @ Twin Palms]
Will be pulling up stakes Monday and head to Sargent, TX.for several days..
We're back to warm temps, have water and electricity. And NOW the heater is working ��
Old 02-27-2021, 06:00 PM   #20

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
We love South Padre Island. Spend at least a week there every summer. This weather down there sure caused a lot of problems for a lot of people. Hope everyone gets back to normal with little or no cost for repairs.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote