Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2017, 04:42 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Driving the MH thru Yellowstone

If any of you have driven your coach through Yellowstone I would really like to hear from you on exactly the route you took. This is going to be a quick side trip (this time) and if nothing else we want to see Old Faithful. Is there a place to park and walk to it? Not interested in car rental or tour bus. If it matters I will be coming into Yellowstone off Hwy 20 in Utah. Thanks

Old 07-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
I've driven all over Yellowstone in my Vegas and Axis and there is no problem taking your RV on any road that they say is OK for RVs - which is most of them. Many of the small parking lots in the minor "attractions" have limited parking - especially for an RV, so early arrival is essential. For Old Faithful, it is a huge parking lot, so if you get there early it is not a problem. Even this lot may fill up on a summer weekend. Lots of camping inside the park, but it may be hard to get a space in the summer. Many of the campgrounds take reservations. Little known National Forrest site outside the north entrance thru the small town and up in the hills. It's really nice. We had a buffalo in our site one spring.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:05 PM   #3

THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
I've driven all over Yellowstone in my Vegas and Axis and there is no problem taking your RV on any road that they say is OK for RVs - which is most of them. Many of the small parking lots in the minor "attractions" have limited parking - especially for an RV, so early arrival is essential. For Old Faithful, it is a huge parking lot, so if you get there early it is not a problem. Even this lot may fill up on a summer weekend. Lots of camping inside the park, but it may be hard to get a space in the summer. Many of the campgrounds take reservations. Little known National Forrest site outside the north entrance thru the small town and up in the hills. It's really nice. We had a buffalo in our site one spring.
Perfect! You happen to know the name of the National Forrest site you speak of?
Thank you
Old 07-14-2017, 09:57 PM   #4

THOR #1765
Download the Allstays app if you have an iPad of iPhone (should be an Andriod app too) and it has all the campgrounds in it. This is where this pic comes from. Also had all the military FamCamps in it. I use them all the time. Great, safe places to stay and usually close to BX.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5100.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	5825  
Old 07-14-2017, 11:31 PM   #5

State: Texas
THOR #2121
We were there in May and drove all the main roads. As stated Old Faithful has a lot of parking within 1/4 mile or so. The only difficulty I can see with a large RV is limited places where you may want to make a U-Turn. Even that shouldn't be a big problem.

The main roads form a figure "8" and there was some construction on the northwest section. In another area the road washed away so we had to drive a lot of extra miles to get back to campsite. I'd expect it's been repaired by now. We stayed at Fishing Bridge campground where we had stayed in the past. It's centrally located for what we wanted to see and had electricity which we need.

Yellowstone is a great place. Hope you enjoy.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:58 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
We easily drove our Axis thru Yellowstone. Many Many little "curb" pull offs to enjoy views and we had a Great Picnic overlooking Lake and Mountains right on the pull off. HOW Great is Yellowstone we spent 3 days and were Amazed every stop!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:46 AM   #7

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
How is the weather in September? Anyone have experience?
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:15 AM   #8

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddad53 View Post
How is the weather in September? Anyone have experience?
We had friends who left Yellowstone with 4" of snow on their RV in late August about 4 years ago. Two years ago we had to wait for the snowplow and follow it in thru the east entrance in mid-May. They keep the Old Faithful area is open all year from the east side and the north entrance. The pictures of the gysers in the snow are pretty cool - at least the pictures. I believe the west side is closed at least part of the year.
Old 07-24-2017, 04:12 PM   #9

THOR #2581
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who responded and let you know we had a successful trip thru Yellowstone but thought I might provide some of my own observations that may prove useful.
We entered the park at 9:00 Am (West Entrance). Between the entrance and Old faithful we were successful in finding parking at one spot that was big enough for the MH. Pay close attention as there are spots that appear they are for RV's but they are for TOUR BUSSES ONLY and they will quickly ticket you. We got to Old Faithful and there was ample parking in the far lot. When we left at 2:30 there was NO parking whatsoever and the parking area had sort of turned into a zoo. We retraced our route back around toward the West entrance and then went all the way around thru Mammoth Hot Springs and exited the North Entrance. Doing it over I would have entered the park NLT than 6:00 AM (even in a car) There were many areas we would have liked to stop at but there was traffic backed up for half a mile to get in to some of them. We also experienced those that thought some sort of wildlife justified them slamming on their brakes in the middle of the road, jumping out and taking pics. As the day wore on this became more and more prevalent as did cars parked on the shoulder (or should I say the front of the car parked on the shoulder and the rest in the road) so give yourself a LOT of extra room for that car in front of you.
All that said Yellowstone is absolutely gorgeous. Pictures/videos in no way can capture the beauty of this place and it's not just Old Faithful, it goes on for miles and miles. We will be back and take far more time to see it.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:35 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
Thanks for the review, headed there for a few days next week..
Old 09-09-2017, 02:42 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7074
My daughter booked us for a tour bus it left I think about 6 or 7 in the morning from the campground office it was supposed to be a five-hour tour it ended up being 8 but it felt like it was an hour and a half long totally amazing the bus was the only way to get around the park in my opinion we got to see so much without the hassle of parking they let us out about a half hour and every place and then later on the next day we went to several other places Yellowstone is AMAZING!! Camped 3 nights in the park.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Thor RV Forum mobile app
Old 09-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #12

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
We were there last year, mid October. Many of the campgrounds were closed, as well as some of the side roads. There had been a couple of measurable snowfalls. Talked to a ranger about the campgrounds. He said the reason they close early is staffing. When the college kids go back to school they are short of people.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:06 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #7074
Pretty sad all of the visitors $$$$ and they can't keep campgrounds open....