Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2020, 10:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Idaho
THOR #15686
Utah Parks without a Toad

Hi all.

I'm thinking about planning a week touring Utah and some of the amazing parks in the area. We have a 2016 ACE 29.3 and no toad (pretty new to RVing). Are there campgrounds with shuttles to trailheads, vistas, etc? We'd love to do some hiking. The thought of moving the RV every time we want to see something is a little off-putting.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2020, 11:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
I'm thinking the answer to your question is "no". But what a great reason to get that toad now.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:16 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
Depends on where you camp. There are shuttles in and around Bryce and Zion. If you are staying in Moab and want to visit Arches you may need to rent or sign up with one of the tour companies.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:27 AM   #4

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #9660
For Bryce and Zion, no toad needed, in fact it would be a waste. For the others you might be able to tour in your rig.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:30 PM   #5

State: Utah
THOR #17668
From Utah and a class c owner I would shuttle at Bryce and Zions. Traffic can be very bad at Zions. Moab would be a great camping area with a tow or rent a jeep. Arches, Dead Horse Point, the "confluence" and many other sites that I wouldn't want to take my RV. Great hiking and site seeing areas.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1582831778

Renting some wheels might be a good way to see how much you might really need a Toad...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	What He Said....jpg
Views:	132
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	22721  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 02:12 AM   #7

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
About those Utah parks, I'm assuming most of the interior roads are paved. Is that right or are there lots of gravel roads? Not interested in off road ing or jeep trails, but do like short hikes. .
Old 03-03-2020, 06:13 PM   #8

Model: ACE 29.3
THOR #15686
Thanks, all!

Sounds like there are options.... Or maybe we hit the parks while we're moving between camp grounds.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:11 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Michigan
THOR #18247
The best places to stay around Zion/Bryce are blm/fs boondocking spots. Renting something would be the best bet if you don't have a toad. There are some campgrounds with shuttle service but they are overwhelmed by people.

Lots of good places to run razrs around there as well.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:54 AM   #10

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
THOR #17441
If you can get in campgrounds in Zion are next to shuttle service. Coolest thing is to put your bike on the shuttle and ride back. It is like having the park to yourself.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:03 AM   #11
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1582831778

Renting some wheels might be a good way to see how much you might really need a Toad...

Bob,
Off subject, but just got to let you know that I really like your "What He Said Up There" thumb nail.

We had a toad on a tow dolly and drove to all of the Utah parks as well as Yellowstone. Took the shuttle around if it was available. That is when we had a very short Class C.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:29 PM   #12

Model: chateau 24F
State: Colorado
THOR #10190
We just did this same trip, all of the National Parks (5) in Utah this past Sept./Oct. We drive a Chateau 24F, no toad. We are a semi-mobile couple. I like to hike when possible, my wife not able to, so touring was from established paved trails/paths/sites. First stop was Moab, for Canyonlands and Arches. Camped in town of Moab. We chose to rent a car for a day, and were able to visit both parks in one day, although an extra day would have been nice for other, more remote areas (Needles). Too far to cover in a day. IMO, It would have been difficult to see these two parks from the RV. Went on to Zion, where we camped in town (Springdale). Great system of local buses to and from the park, then shuttle busses through the park, there are no motorized vehicles allowed in the upper part of the park. FYI: when leaving Zion, headed toward Bryce, they will charge you $15 to go thru tunnel, to allow you to travel thru the center of the tunnel, single file. (Necessary? Required). Went onto Bryce. Camped close to the park (Ruby's Inn), and took shuttle bus right from the campground, into the park. Shuttle buses run throughout the park, and able to see the park via stops along the rim. Great trail systems all over, both along the rim (vistas) and into the canyon (hiking). From there drove up to Capitol Reef (Route 12 highway is spectacular!). Camped in Fruita (Fruita Campground). From here we drove into the park via the main road (paved) in the RV. This park is tricky in the sense there are many 2 wheel and 4 wheel dirt roads off the main road, and we were not adventurous enough to want to drive the RV on them, though many 2 wheel dirt roads are good enough for that. We spent a day touring the park on main road, beautiful, and that was plenty for us. That should give you an idea of what to expect at the various parks, most are very accessible via shuttle buses, etc. No time (other than at Capitol Reef) was spent driving the RV thru the parks. FYI: we took 2 weeks (13 days) for this trip, but that included a number of days in Colorado. The Utah leg took about 7 days. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip, these are great National Parks!
Old 03-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Thanks kmartin977 very useful information. We are planning a visit this September. How were the crowds?
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 05:54 PM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
We’ve visited these National Parks numerous times over the years and have never had a toad. However, we don’t mind breaking camp so not an issue for us (we travel very light). In fact, I’d rather tour in an RV than a car anyway. We try our best to avoid crowds by not going in summer, so a larger RV isn’t as big a problem.

We’ve traveled to these parks in our 24-ft Class C, rented 30-ft Class C, and our present 20-ft van. The smaller van is more convenient to park because it fits in a standard auto parking spot much like a toad would, but didn’t find either Class C that difficult, at least when we went.

At Zion we’ve been lucky enough to get into campground next to shuttle busses. That’s the only park I recall being closed to traffic. For other parks we’ve stayed in campgrounds in Moab, or at Ruby’s, etc. and drove RV into park. When practical we do coordinate visits with moving from one area to the next.

Years ago I took my parents to most of these parks in an SUV, and I didn’t enjoy it as much as touring in an RV. While we had snacks and a cooler with food and drinks, it’s not quite the same as having the RV near by. Just my personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDguy View Post
If you can get in campgrounds in Zion are next to shuttle service. Coolest thing is to put your bike on the shuttle and ride back. It is like having the park to yourself.
Agree. Most memorable ride was going in and out of canyon early in morning on a tandem. What a beautiful ride. Road had just been paved and was so smooth, and also so quiet we could hear wildlife and sound of stream as we rode the 8 miles or so from campground to end. Coming back with slight downhill was a blast.

On a different trip we rode our single beater bikes a little later in morning instead, but it wasn’t quite the same. By then the shuttle buses and people made it less spectacular. Zion is great regardless.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:14 PM   #15

Model: chateau 24F
State: Colorado
THOR #10190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Thanks kmartin977 very useful information. We are planning a visit this September. How were the crowds?
Crowds were not too bad at each park but were still very busy, even though after the Summer season. What was noticeable was most campgrounds were full. Had to call days in advance and lucked out in many cases. If you can, reserve sites ahead of time.
Old 03-07-2020, 02:45 AM   #16

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
Bryce has a great shuttle system. Get off where you want and hike to another area and the shuttle will pick you up there! I used to stay at a BLM boondocks spot that was awesome. Half mile walk to shuttle stop. Ruby's complained and had it shut down. Don't understand why because they are fully booked all year long. because of this I will never stay at Ruby's again nor spend a penny at their restaurant or store.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #17

Model: outlaw 37rb
State: California
THOR #5223
Bryce Shuttle with a Tour and Reservations

We did Bryce a while back and they had just started, in addition to the regular shuttle, a shuttle with a tour. We reserved our free ticket online and started just outside the park in the NPS lots. Our tour stopped at many spots where we got out and walked (always within site of the bus, so okay for limited persons) and our guide both informative and humorous. Someone tried to give him a tip and he told us tipping is forbidden.