Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2020, 09:50 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.2
State: Florida
THOR #11144
East coast trip

Want to head up the east coast up to Acadia National Park from Florida. Will be having many stops along the way. Is mid to late April too early to head up that way? We plan on a 6 week trip up and back with many stops coming and going. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:49 PM   #2
Kbs

Model: Quantum pd31
State: Florida
THOR #12223
Hi we are planning similar trip from florida to acadia. Thinking early To mid may to let it warm up a bit and allow time for campgrounds to open. Will be looking to make a reservation soon to be sure to have a spot. Have you selected a campground/ site in acadia ?
Old 03-05-2020, 12:52 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
I grew up in Portland, ME. The last two weeks of July and the first two weeks of August is summer in Maine. And the beach in Acadia is freezing cold even then.

Best beaches are between Pine Point and Cape Elizabeth in my opinion. Further south are too crowded and commercial. Expecially Old Orchard. My favorite is Scarborough Beach. Higgins Beach is great but virtually no parking for public. Great place to rent a house for a week!

Portland Headlight and Two Lights State Park are must do for rock hopping!
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #4

Model: 2016 Thor Outlaw 29H
State: Tennessee
THOR #13869
I grew up in NE Ohio, most places for campers didn't open up until a couple weeks before Memorial Day.

And the weather, they always said March comes in like a lion, goes out like a lamb.

Garden planting, you always wait until Mother's Day to be on the safe side of a frost, but then, the weather is always unpredictable, if you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes, or so they say.

Throw the dice, have a nice trip, we always head further south until summer arrives, then we venture north.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:10 AM   #5

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37K
State: Virginia
THOR #12448
A few years back, we did a trip from the DC area up to Brunswick, Bar Harbor/Acadia, Mystic CT and then back. It took a week and a half, smack dab in the middle of July and the weather was mostly mid-to-low 70’s, beautiful and clear during the trip.

Brunswick was more of a nostalgia tour for my dad/mom who tagged along, as my dad was stationed at the Brunswick Naval Air Station (BRAC’d a few years back) back in the late 60’s and we had vacationed in cliff-side cottages there a couple of times when I was young. Despite our attraction to the area due to nostalgia, there are some cool things to check out in the town and surrounding area (e.g., lunch at Cook’s Lobster House, Giant’s Stairs trail and the scenery around Land’s End Gift Shop at the end of Bailey Island are a few such out of the way places), and a very interesting maritime museum in nearby Bath.

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/C...VAWVWIWYsm.jpg
TheDustyGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 02:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustyGeek View Post
A few years back, we did a trip from the DC area up to Brunswick, Bar Harbor/Acadia, Mystic CT and then back. It took a week and a half, smack dab in the middle of July and the weather was mostly mid-to-low 70’s, beautiful and clear during the trip.

Brunswick was more of a nostalgia tour for my dad/mom who tagged along, as my dad was stationed at the Brunswick Naval Air Station (BRAC’d a few years back) back in the late 60’s and we had vacationed in cliff-side cottages there a couple of times when I was young. Despite our attraction to the area due to nostalgia, there are some cool things to check out in the town and surrounding area (e.g., lunch at Cook’s Lobster House, Giant’s Stairs trail and the scenery around Land’s End Gift Shop at the end of Bailey Island are a few such out of the way places), and a very interesting maritime museum in nearby Bath.
Do you recall what route(s) you used for the trip and how many days was the drive? Some additional details or pointers would be greatly appreciated.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote