Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Colorado
THOR #7522
Hi vkb - we thought that too... but we know how darn windy it is in Wyoming lol and you may find this silly but we bought our vegas for this trip so we will make it a slow fun trip.
So we are super newbies in the RV world got to get use to driving in the wind.
Heading toward Stapleton NE Oh and oh coarse we will use it quite a bit more as soon as I get to retire!Thanks for the info.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:34 PM   #22

THOR #7522
Yes Mike we bought the book and it came with the 4 glasses on Amazon pretty good prices - this is going to be sooo cool - lets hope the weather (please clear sky's for all) holds out!
Old 07-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #23
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy P View Post
Hi vkb - we thought that too... but we know how darn windy it is in Wyoming lol and you may find this silly but we bought our vegas for this trip so we will make it a slow fun trip.
So we are super newbies in the RV world got to get use to driving in the wind.
Heading toward Stapleton NE Oh and oh coarse we will use it quite a bit more as soon as I get to retire!Thanks for the info.
Hi Lucy ! We fight the wind all the time, when heading west, since we live in KS. !
If you have not done anything to the handling of your Vegas since purchase, you might want to address that situation. Ron installed Sumo Springs on our Axis to replace the bump stops. It made a significant improvement.

And...no, it does not seem silly to make the purchase for a .. once in a lifetime event ! ... we bought our first VCR to record the final episode of MASH ... !!! (that was almost 40 yrs ago)

Enjoy and keep us all posted on your adventures !

Kay

ps....where in CO are you ? We returned, Sunday, from 2+ weeks in CO...
Salida, Gunnison, Crested Butte, Ouray & Telluride. Have, pretty much, covered most of the state !
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:30 PM   #24
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ View Post
That video! 😂😂😂😂

We made plans before we bought our RV. Flying to Nashville, staying with some friends. Thanks for the ideas here, going to check out the glasses on Amazon!
Hey...today I received my 6 pack of glasses from Amazon. I will order the 4x4" lens filter for my DSLR...it will slide in my filter adapter with a slight bit of trimming. I visited a site which was very informative regarding correct lens use and tripod adjustments, etc. A good refresher course.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 07-14-2017, 08:38 PM   #25

State: Florida
THOR #6389
Eclipse

have family that lives in Franklin, NC..
planning a visit..
Old 07-14-2017, 09:08 PM   #26

Model: 2017 Windsport 34F
State: Michigan
THOR #7673
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
Staying home. We are in the 1% zone. The area expects thousands of visitors.
My dad lives a couple miles from you and he said everything is booked for miles.
Old 07-15-2017, 02:02 PM   #27

THOR #7522
Thanks Kay we live in Morrison by Bandimere speedway.
Thanks for the suggestions- we are taking it out next week on our maiden voyage for a 3 day trip just 2 hrs away.
Then we can see all the things will need to improve it. So far we had the windshield replaced and the screen door fixed. We found that the cold water does not come out for the shower outside (must be a pinched hose some where). We took it into CW where we bought it and it was at CW for 4 weeks just to do the windshield and the door. So will note all the other stuff we find and take it in after we get back from the Eclipse Trip. Sounds like you did cover a lot of CO all those areas are so pretty too!
Old 07-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Lucy P: Check out this thread:
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f27...-3-go-820.html

More mods to the Vegas 24.1 than you can possibly imagine LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:27 PM   #29
vkb

THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy P View Post
Thanks Kay we live in Morrison by Bandimere speedway.
Thanks for the suggestions- we are taking it out next week on our maiden voyage for a 3 day trip just 2 hrs away.
Then we can see all the things will need to improve it. So far we had the windshield replaced and the screen door fixed. We found that the cold water does not come out for the shower outside (must be a pinched hose some where). We took it into CW where we bought it and it was at CW for 4 weeks just to do the windshield and the door. So will note all the other stuff we find and take it in after we get back from the Eclipse Trip. Sounds like you did cover a lot of CO all those areas are so pretty too!
Have fun ! Enjoy your Eclipse trip. If you have any pre trip questions...know that all of us on the Forum are here for you !
**you may already do this...but, just want to remind you to take a case of water...and we take a couple gallons of 'home' water for making coffee. We have found very few campgrounds with good tasting water...even with our filter on the incoming water ! .. and our cat likes home water too !! ha !

We, usually, make 1-2 trips to CO a year... love it !
I had to google where Morrison is...you are in an ideal area !! I envy you !

Last year we had to have our windshield replaced due to road debris hitting us at 70mph !
We had Binswanger Glass, a national company do the replacement per our insurance co....we were in and out in about 4 hours.

happy day ! Kay
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #30

State: Utah
THOR #7797
You Tube is the answer

The highways will be crazy full of hot and tired people, going and coming. Perhaps you tube will fill the bill.

We have a relative with a spot for us in Menan Idaho, smack in the sweet spot, but getting there will be another story. We will head up this Friday and hang out until the eclipse is over on Monday and all the crazies have cleared out.

Oh, yeah, we are one of the crazies!
Old 08-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #31

Model: Chateau 35SB
State: Kentucky
THOR #5426
Send a message via Skype™ to nite71
We'll be camping about 3 miles east of Hopkinsville, KY. Just a few miles from ground zero the way everyone talks!

2017 Chateau 35SB
2011 Ranger Crew 800
nite71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #32

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
We will be in Western SC at Table Rock State Park. Going a few days early and leaving a couple days after to avoid the traffic issues
Old 08-14-2017, 11:03 PM   #33

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
or...Wyoming ! go to the website: Eclipse2017 .. you can enter your
zip code and allow the site to use your location in conjunction with their GPS .. and you will find out where the nearest Total Eclipse will be ...

Wyoming is supposed to be optimal ... however, many folks are coming to St. Joseph, MO ... all hotels and campsites are booked well in advance.
From the site, you can see the ARC which is 100 miles wide for best viewing.

Where exactly do you find the "nearest" location finder in their website? I can't find that section.

From Houston area it looks like Missouri is closest, but southeast Nebraska or northeast Kansas may be easier to reach based on driving distance.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:57 AM   #34

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Alaska
THOR #7304
Our house is in "total blackout zone"...not leaving our mountain, it's going to be chaos out there!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2017-02-24-19-31-58-1.png
Views:	101
Size:	363.6 KB
ID:	6351  
Old 08-15-2017, 01:27 AM   #35

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
We will be on the road that day, so other than it will get darker for awhile, we probably won't really see much of it. California is only going be able to see a partial, so at its best it won't be as exciting as it will in the mid-west.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:35 AM   #36
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkb View Post
Hey...today I received my 6 pack of glasses from Amazon. I will order the 4x4" lens filter for my DSLR...it will slide in my filter adapter with a slight bit of trimming. I visited a site which was very informative regarding correct lens use and tripod adjustments, etc. A good refresher course.
If you haven't seen the news - be sure your glasses are properly certified... Amazon was selling many non-certified (ads claimed ISO - but glasses were not properly labeled and could not be confirmed...)
I got a 3 pack that didn't have the proper labeling... started the return process. Got an email from Amazon that no return needed - they were crediting my account... Already ordered replacements from an 'approved company'...

What site did you use for the camera info? Bought a sheet of solar filter I'm trimming to fit my holder on Nikon D-750... Hints/tips always welcome... not like I've had the opportunity to shoot many eclipses... lol
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:07 AM   #37
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
If you haven't seen the news - be sure your glasses are properly certified... Amazon was selling many non-certified (ads claimed ISO - but glasses were not properly labeled and could not be confirmed...)
I got a 3 pack that didn't have the proper labeling... started the return process. Got an email from Amazon that no return needed - they were crediting my account... Already ordered replacements from an 'approved company'...

What site did you use for the camera info? Bought a sheet of solar filter I'm trimming to fit my holder on Nikon D-750... Hints/tips always welcome... not like I've had the opportunity to shoot many eclipses... lol
My DSLR filter is shown in Post #5 of this thread. So far I've already taken numerous "test" pictures with it (like the one listed at the start of this thread). I've since added a little foam weatherstripping on the inside of the cardboard tube to make it fit a little tighter against the camera lens.

Getting closer now...less than a week away.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:06 AM   #38

Model: Chateau 35SB
State: Kentucky
THOR #5426
Send a message via Skype™ to nite71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Where exactly do you find the "nearest" location finder in their website? I can't find that section.

From Houston area it looks like Missouri is closest, but southeast Nebraska or northeast Kansas may be easier to reach based on driving distance.
Check out the NASA website.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-maps

The interactive map is great!

2017 Chateau 35SB
2011 Ranger Crew 800
nite71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:56 PM   #39

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Arrow

https://www.google.com/maps/place/St....5286236?hl=en

Standing Indian Campground is in the DIRECT Total path, is right off the Appalachian Trail, and is near the top of the mountain between Hayesville NC and Franklin NC off Hwy64...

while there are three loops, most are FirstCome/FirstServe

and.... a new one on Hwy 64 nearer Hayesville, but in the Direct path...
Eclipse camping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	simdif.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	6356  
Old 08-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #40
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast