Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2023, 02:56 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
I just drove if a few weeks ago, east bound, I had no problem pulling my 5,000# TOAD up going eastbound. The east side of the pass is a little twisty but nothing too severe. From what I saw My ACE V10 would have no problem pulling the hill in either direction with a TOAD.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 12:51 AM   #22

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
I don't think he'll be driving anywhere near Tanaga in the Andreanof Islands.

To digress totally and sorry for the brief hijack but I couldn't resist. I'd never heard of these Islands until this morning. Now I actually know where they are.

Happens our local library has donated puzzles to loan out and they had a beautifully illustrated and very challenging one of a geographic map of the state of Alaska. It got me thinking about Judge's plan to take that caravan tour to Alaska; something we are considering for the future too. I told DH it would be so much fun to have that puzzle on a caravan trip like that, pull it out onto the picnic table at night, enjoy adult beverages and conversation with fellow caravaners and invite any avid puzzlers to join in on putting the thing together.

I'll sure know Alaska geography and highlights once I've got those 1000 pieces in place.

Sorry, Now back to El Paso and a valuable bit of info to file away in the road travel "data bank." Thanks for sharing. DH is a country boy who absolutely hates big city traffic. This will be very helpful.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:08 PM   #23

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
375 bypass reduex

Eastbound this time. Spent the night in the NM welcome center outside of El Paso and got up early. Even at 5am, local tv was reporting disabled vehicles, crashes and obstructions on I-10. I left at 5:45am and took the 375 bypass. By 6:30 I was east of El Paso back on I-10. Quite a hill climb in the dark and back down. Speed was as low as 40 which isn't too bad for what I weigh. Pavement condition excellent, traffic light and definitely worth taking.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:04 PM   #24

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
The drive east on I-10 is flat and boring until you reach the hills. Ingram (near Kerrville) has a RV park we love - Johnson Creek Rv resort. It's a pecan ranch with all the fixings.

Enjoy the journey, we are heading the opposite way on I-10 to Tucson today. Wish the cold front would go away.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 07:39 PM   #25

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMRVer View Post
The drive east on I-10 is flat and boring until you reach the hills. Ingram (near Kerrville) has a RV park we love - Johnson Creek Rv resort. It's a pecan ranch with all the fixings.

Enjoy the journey, we are heading the opposite way on I-10 to Tucson today. Wish the cold front would go away.
Yes it is. I've driven this way more than I like to admit. I'm in The military park on Canyon Lake TX with a balmy 50. That's all it will get the next few days and lows in 30's. Thank goodness for 2 good heat pumps and a furnace that has real ducting.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 10:34 PM   #26

Model: Aria 3901
State: New Mexico
THOR #2538
Chucker21, just want to thank you for your service, I'm a veteran also.
Stay safe

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote