Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2022, 08:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: WS31
State: Wisconsin
THOR #25771
El Paso Bypass...

Just wondering if anyone has drove the 375 North Loop around El Paso TX.

Leaving Carlsbad NM, and heading to Deming NM. Curious if the loop is steep in elevation.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2022, 09:12 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by petedoll50@gmail.com View Post
Just wondering if anyone has drove the 375 North Loop around El Paso TX.

Leaving Carlsbad NM, and heading to Deming NM. Curious if the loop is steep in elevation.

Thanks
Excellent way to go. Wide less traffic. Slight inclines
Scenic
Old 12-04-2022, 05:53 AM   #3

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
And here I thought an "El Paso Bypass" was a type of heart surgery offered in Texas...
Old 12-04-2022, 10:44 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
And here I thought an "El Paso Bypass" was a type of heart surgery offered in Texas...
It can be..... that requires eating five ghost peppers and then one beer to thin out the blood and raise the blood pressure to clear the blockage!!!
Old 12-04-2022, 02:56 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
It can be..... that requires eating five ghost peppers and then one beer to thin out the blood and raise the blood pressure to clear the blockage!!!
Old 12-04-2022, 03:21 PM   #6

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Funny. We take this way to the airport.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:28 PM   #7

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Is that a relatively new road? I've been traveling through the area since mid 80s and don't recall anything other than 10 right straight through hell. Going to Tucson in the spring so I'll make the bypass. Thanks.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:32 PM   #8

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
Is that a relatively new road? I've been traveling through the area since mid 80s and don't recall anything other than 10 right straight through hell. Going to Tucson in the spring so I'll make the bypass. Thanks.
Really easy drive. Police take it.

https://panethos.wordpress.com/2021/...extraordinary/

It’s not often that one comments about a specific freeway, but the Texas Loop 375 bypass of El Paso is not your typical highway. The freeway connects the central city with Interstate 10 southeast of town, then to US 62 to the east, US 54 to the north, and finally reconnecting back to Interstate 10 in the northwest corner of the city. Loop 375 is a limited-access bypass for those who are impressed by modern engineering paralleled with dramatic geography. Some sections of the freeway are still being improved and upgraded through the Franklin Mountains as can be seen in the photo below.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:13 PM   #9

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Really easy drive. Police take it.

https://panethos.wordpress.com/2021/...extraordinary/

It’s not often that one comments about a specific freeway, but the Texas Loop 375 bypass of El Paso is not your typical highway. The freeway connects the central city with Interstate 10 southeast of town, then to US 62 to the east, US 54 to the north, and finally reconnecting back to Interstate 10 in the northwest corner of the city. Loop 375 is a limited-access bypass for those who are impressed by modern engineering paralleled with dramatic geography. Some sections of the freeway are still being improved and upgraded through the Franklin Mountains as can be seen in the photo below.
Thanks I'll be going through there early March and retiring back a couple weeks later. It'll be nice not having to go through town on 10
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-08-2022, 10:56 PM   #10

Model: Aria 3901
THOR #2538
This is an hour away from us and I would recommend this scenic drive along trans mountain. I use it weekly and excellent way to avoid the I-10 traffic @ El Paso. You will have some climbs and downhills going over the pass, but nothing too difficult to drive (or scare the wife) will be encountered. There are 2 good lookout points for a scenic view of the valley below. Best part is not the heavy traffic (unless rush hour) of I10.

NMRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 02:01 PM   #11

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
We take 375 every time we go through El Paso. The road is excellent, although it seems to always be under construction, and I always hated the I-10 corridor through downtown El Paso.

Coming from the New Mexico side there is a steep climb up the mountain immediately after leaving I-10, and it might be a problem for some RVs pulling a toad. There is also, of course, the corresponding downhill descent where the speed limit is only about 50 mph, but in my opinion it is way better than the drive through downtown El Paso, and only about 3 or 4 miles further. Once you get past the mountainous section is is flat and mostly straight with little traffic. If you are going in the opposite direction the climb and descent are, of course, near the end of the bypass.

It also has the advantage of offering a lot of easy to get to shopping along the way and we frequently stop at the Wal-Mart, which is immediately off the 375, if we need something. Easy off. Easy on.
Old 12-13-2022, 02:06 PM   #12

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
We take 375 every time we go through El Paso. The road is excellent, although it seems to always be under construction, and I always hated the I-10 corridor through downtown El Paso.

Coming from the New Mexico side there is a steep climb up the mountain immediately after leaving I-10, and it might be a problem for some RVs pulling a toad. There is also, of course, the corresponding downhill descent where the speed limit is only about 50 mph, but in my opinion it is way better than the drive through downtown El Paso, and only about 3 or 4 miles further. Once you get past the mountainous section is is flat and mostly straight with little traffic. If you are going in the opposite direction the climb and descent are, of course, near the end of the bypass.

It also has the advantage of offering a lot of easy to get to shopping along the way and we frequently stop at the Wal-Mart, which is immediately off the 375, if we need something. Easy off. Easy on.
Is that an RV overnight friendly Walmart? Seems around the El Paso area is where we end up stopping. Twice I've stayed at the NM welcome center in Anthony.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-13-2022, 02:24 PM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Regency Ultra Brougham IB
State: Arizona
THOR #13468
Quote:
Is that an RV overnight friendly Walmart? Seems around the El Paso area is where we end up stopping. Twice I've stayed at the NM welcome center in Anthony.
I am sorry, but I don't know. Most of our camping is either boondocking or dry camping, but we always try to find a place that is quiet, so we never have stayed at places like War-Mart or any rest stops, welcome centers or parking areas. When we have stayed in Anthony, NM we have either stayed at the Road Host (which is a bit pricey) or at the Western Skys RV park (which is half price with a Passport America card.

Perhaps someone else will know.
Old 12-13-2022, 02:28 PM   #14

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I am sorry, but I don't know. Most of our camping is either boondocking or dry camping, but we always try to find a place that is quiet, so we never have stayed at places like War-Mart or any rest stops, welcome centers or parking areas. When we have stayed in Anthony, NM we have either stayed at the Road Host (which is a bit pricey) or at the Western Skys RV park (which is half price with a Passport America card.

Perhaps someone else will know.
Thanks some of our travel days are just "git there" type and I'll take advantage of rest areas and wallyworld on occasion. We don't "camp" just spend the night and move on. Leave no trace type.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 03-09-2023, 11:54 AM   #15

THOR #22586
Last week I took the 375 bypass around El Paso and now wonder what took me so long to find about it. Yes that's a steep hill on the west side but we went up doing around 50 or so. Beats the heck out of the mess of going through on 10. Thanks to those who added info especially scuba.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 03-09-2023, 12:05 PM   #16

THOR #12751
Quote:
Last week I took the 375 bypass around El Paso and now wonder what took me so long to find about it. Yes that's a steep hill on the west side but we went up doing around 50 or so. Beats the heck out of the mess of going through on 10. Thanks to those who added info especially scuba.
Thanks for the update.

We are going to be in Carlsbad as our first stop in late May on our way to Alaska. I was trying to decide about going through El Paso or going through White Sands to get to I-10.

We are staying north of Carlsbad and it looks like White Sands is still 20 miles shorter. I think I'm still going that way.... the further from the boarder the better as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:35 PM   #17

THOR #20220
Quote:
Thanks for the update.

We are going to be in Carlsbad as our first stop in late May on our way to Alaska. I was trying to decide about going through El Paso or going through White Sands to get to I-10.

We are staying north of Carlsbad and it looks like White Sands is still 20 miles shorter. I think I'm still going that way.... the further from the boarder the better as far as I'm concerned.
Judge be careful in Alaska..

Alaska volcano dormant for a century delivering ominous warning signs: 'Significant unrest'
Old 03-09-2023, 07:57 PM   #18

THOR #12751
Quote:

Alaska volcano dormant for a century delivering ominous warning signs: 'Significant unrest'

I just read that story!

The good news is it is on an island well west of the mainland in the Aleutian islands. But I suppose Tsunami's are possible if the thing decided to get really pissed off!!!
Old 03-09-2023, 08:01 PM   #19
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:

I don't think he'll be driving anywhere near Tanaga in the Andreanof Islands.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 09:25 PM   #20

THOR #20220
Quote:
I just read that story!

The good news is it is on an island well west of the mainland in the Aleutian islands. But I suppose Tsunami's are possible if the thing decided to get really pissed off!!!
Good.
Ash could travel a long way.
Safe travels