Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2023, 01:48 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Trip Planning Frustrations. Please share you tips so I can remain sane

You don't have to talk me off the ledge anymore, but boy was I close - wanted to take a hammer to the computer screen, commit harikari, and sell the RV. So much for spontaneous retirement travel (Ya, I know it's not that world anymore.)

We were merely looking for a nice little trip to the South Carolina coast with stops At Mammoth Cave, other Kentucky and Tennessee national parks, and Civil War sites along the way.

Normally I like planning and am good at it, but I still can't believe how frustrating trying to plan this trip turned out to be - some parks closed on numerous days during the week, but not in any rational fashion. Only winter closures posted with no idea of what the spring days/hours might be. Yet registering for tours in advance was highly suggested. And then those South Carolina state parks, what a nightmare; 2 day minimum stay but only a random single night on a site open here or there. We would be willing and flexible to stay one night on one site and the second on another, but no, the system just shuts you out completely. And their nightly prices; pretty much double any other states parks we have been to or were looking at for this trip. It really felt like gouging. We started asking ourselves "How badly did we really want to go to SC?"

I finally, after many many tries, got a real human on the phone and they were actually very nice and helpful. So, we started to build backward and forward from 2 nights in Charleston. Piece by piece, dropping some stops, leaving a few days later than originally planned, a TON of juggling, innumerable phone calls, and some lucky Harvest Hosts reservations, I did get it together. I am now a happy camper (fingers crossed not to jinx it.)Vent over, but still trying to recover my sanity.

Geez, there has to be a better way. Please share your painless(?) trip planning secrets. I have considered:
  • Literally planning itineraries and doing the research well over a year in advance, then putting in campground reservations at the earliest possible time. But cripes, if we have to make changes or forfeit $$$ for cancellations that gets expensive these days.
  • Going with an RV tour caravan, but that is pricey too. I find I can plan and see twice as much and spend half as much DIY. I guess frustration is the price I pay instead.
  • Giving up on RVing and just going on Road Scholar trips. That day will come and we will embrace it then, but we are not sure we are ready for that quite yet.
  • Just staying home and partaking in a glass of spiked lemonade while looking at the scenery across the field. Yes, we are very privileged to live in a northern vacation paradise, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to also enjoy some other places and learn new things still. I'm not ready to turn into a shriveling pumpkin.

So please share your approach and tips. As DH (he who does none of the planning and only part of the driving) says, "but we have so much fun when it works." It won't be so fun if I have lost my mind or am in a strait jacket.

Old 02-26-2023, 03:37 AM   #2

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
When we have a long distance trip we always start with reservations at the destination. We figure out how long we want to stay there then get the reservation. Sometimes shifting the days forward or backward depending on the destinations availability. For the intermediate stops we do those the night before arriving. If we leave for a trip on a Monday, we make that reservation the day before we leave. We use the rvparky app to find our intermediate stays and usually make the next nights reservation right after stopping for the day. We also try to avoid 'tourist' destinations along the way as that makes reservation availability more challenging. Since we are retired, we have no time constraints and will change our routing if intermediate reservations don't work out. This way works for us.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 06:34 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I do a lot of koa campgrounds. Their cg are usually very clean, big sites and not to pricey except in high tourist areas like nashville etc

I plan a year in advance, if possible, then look for siteseeing stuff after cg is booked

I have planned this way for many 4-7 week trips.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 03:20 PM   #4

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
I set up reservations online when I can, but there are times a call to the campground has better results. The State park 2 nite requirement is cast in stone online. but often Ranger Friendly can see that in-between single night is actually available.
Keep trying, the reservation system is manipulated and people will shotgun their trip dates then cancel extra dates just before incurring a charge.
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
Hooligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 05:41 PM   #5

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Like LT we plan the destination first and then back into the stays we need to make along the way. I use the allstays app to find spots along the way. We do use KOA’s fairly often on long trips. They usually have spots available and everyone I have seen has had overflow parking.

When planning stops I do start with the furthest I would want to drive in a day and then hope to find a place closer. I do this so if one of the closer spots I can’t get into. I have never had a problem getting a spot last minute. But it is good to know all your options.
Old 02-26-2023, 05:41 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Try adding an unplanned layover in a hotel after rolling over unavoidable truck tire blowout debris. Debris ripped the tail pipe out of the hanger and pushed the tailpipe under the rear tire and down onto the drive shaft bending the drive shaft.

Here is a photo of the damaged bits.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 07:08 PM   #7

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Generally, for a long trip, we'll make the reservations for the most important stop and fill in from there. Usually a year out if it's a desirable place. We are also very particular on not only campground, but campsite as well. For instance, when we go to the Keys and various lakes/rivers around the southeast, if it's not waterfront, we don't go. So planning is a must for us.
On the SC State Parks, they have recently increased prices. Huntington Beach, in season with full hooks ups, is now $110 for a night. For pretty much any SC State Park that is on the water, if you wanted to get a site for the weekend through October, you're too late. These people down here can't get enough of the outdoors! I've been camping in these state parks since I was 13 (for 43 years). I will also say that for spontaneity, we call Thursday and can often find a spot for the weekend. And the customer service at the SC State Parks is without a doubt the best I've ever had at any business. Good luck, and if you do decide to give it up, I'd go with the option of spiked lemonade.
One last thing, stay away from Charleston, it's one big tourist trap with terrible traffic and aggressive mosquitoes.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:10 AM   #8

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
When we have a long distance trip we always start with reservations at the destination. We figure out how long we want to stay there then get the reservation. Sometimes shifting the days forward or backward depending on the destinations availability. For the intermediate stops we do those the night before arriving. If we leave for a trip on a Monday, we make that reservation the day before we leave. We use the rvparky app to find our intermediate stays and usually make the next nights reservation right after stopping for the day. We also try to avoid 'tourist' destinations along the way as that makes reservation availability more challenging. Since we are retired, we have no time constraints and will change our routing if intermediate reservations don't work out. This way works for us.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I had never started with the destination, always started form home...but this trip did force/teach me to just that. I did initially have a hard time getting a reservation at the destination and the trip was bound to just be a no-go if I couldn't find something there. I did eventually succeed and since the cancellation penalty from this time frame out was still minimal, I did decide to just try to build out from the destination. It did work in the end, albeit with considerable hair pulling..

I'm not particularly app savy, but maybe I need to learn. It makes me a bit nervous to leave things to last minute chance, but I guess there is always the hope of snagging someone's last minute cancellation. What is your success rate with the app? Do you pay a subscription for it? An occasional Cracker Barrel overnight is OK, but it's not my idea for a long road trip or quiet camping. We have used Harvest Host for some last minute "bailouts."

We do try to follow the roads and see the sites "less traveled" but sometimes those more popular spots are on the bucket list --- i.e. we would like to make it to all the national parks. We do find ourselves at many of the lesser known ones and have enjoyed their lower key environs very much.

We are also retired and have some flexibility along the route. One thing that is pretty set in stone though is our arrive back home date. I have elderly horses and rely on a very wonderful and skilled farm sitter, but she also has a schedule of other commitments to fulfill. I try to be very respectful of that and allow a few days leeway, so we don't crimp our timing of getting home.

Thanks for the help. I'll look into RVParky further.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:28 AM   #9

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I do a lot of koa campgrounds. Their cg are usually very clean, big sites and not to pricey except in high tourist areas like nashville etc

I plan a year in advance, if possible, then look for siteseeing stuff after cg is booked

I have planned this way for many 4-7 week trips.

Jerry
We have used an occasional KOA and indeed found them to work for us. They are especially handy when we need to do laundry, fill propane and the like. They are often a bit pricier than we would prefer.

As seniors with a lifetime NPS pass, we do like the discount and try our best to make NPS, COE, FS campgrounds our first choice. We also like the generally quieter natural environment. State parks are usually our second choice for the same reason.

Do you use the KOA as a base to day trip from? We have typically done trips that only have us in an area a night or two. Then we journey on down the road. After this most recent experience, we have asked ourselves whether the hub and spoke day trip idea might make for less campground reservation stress.

What's your camping style? Would it be worth reevaluating ours to stay saner? We're open to suggestions or a new approach.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:29 AM   #10

State: Washington
THOR #6433
The allstays app is 10.00, they have some upgraded versions but the app has always worked just fine. I try and book things out if I can but knock on wood haven’t had a problem getting something last minute. I say that knowing that if my limit for the day was 300 miles. Over the last 50 miles or so there were a couple of campgrounds. So May strike out on one but not all three. As an example
Old 02-27-2023, 01:40 AM   #11

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan2 View Post
I set up reservations online when I can, but there are times a call to the campground has better results. The State park 2 nite requirement is cast in stone online. but often Ranger Friendly can see that in-between single night is actually available.
Keep trying, the reservation system is manipulated and people will shotgun their trip dates then cancel extra dates just before incurring a charge.
Ya, that has been my major frustration with any online system; no functioning brain in the automated system. I now generally just use it to get an idea of potential availability, but make a phone call to actual make reservations. Yes, the rangers have been very friendly and helpful. They are the only reason I was able to finally piece things together and I am very appreciative.
Old 02-27-2023, 01:57 AM   #12

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
Like LT we plan the destination first and then back into the stays we need to make along the way. I use the allstays app to find spots along the way. We do use KOA’s fairly often on long trips. They usually have spots available and everyone I have seen has had overflow parking.

When planning stops I do start with the furthest I would want to drive in a day and then hope to find a place closer. I do this so if one of the closer spots I can’t get into. I have never had a problem getting a spot last minute. But it is good to know all your options.
Options are always good. I keep forgetting about the overflow lots at KOAs. We would be fine with that in a pinch. Between the generator and the solar panel we've been at plenty of no hookup/boondock sites and it suits us just fine. I just feel better having my spots mapped out and secure so I can relax once we hit the road.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:04 AM   #13

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwife View Post
We have used an occasional KOA and indeed found them to work for us. They are especially handy when we need to do laundry, fill propane and the like. They are often a bit pricier than we would prefer.

As seniors with a lifetime NPS pass, we do like the discount and try our best to make NPS, COE, FS campgrounds our first choice. We also like the generally quieter natural environment. State parks are usually our second choice for the same reason.

Do you use the KOA as a base to day trip from? We have typically done trips that only have us in an area a night or two. Then we journey on down the road. After this most recent experience, we have asked ourselves whether the hub and spoke day trip idea might make for less campground reservation stress.

What's your camping style? Would it be worth reevaluating ours to stay saner? We're open to suggestions or a new approach.
Our trips range from 1 week to 6 weeks+ and maybe 7000 miles round trip. We have specific destinations and use whatever cgs are near the destination. We'll stay a couple days or a week depending the area and the sightseeing we plan to do. I'll research the cgs in the area and pick based on reviews, costs, and location. Ive never seen or stayed at a bad KOA. Been to many cg that were great. Since the cg is not our destination I only look for clean and easy access and if it's just an over night stop a pull through site is a must.

And yes we use the cg as home base and drive to sightseeing areas

My mh is 38' so to big for many state parks. Long trips are a pain to set up. My ocd has me plan our entire trip usually a year in advance. I can't wing it as I go. That would stress me out big time. Now I have changed plans mid trip, added days or weeks with little trouble

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 02:11 AM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My tip is you have to be 10 percent smarter than what you’re working with. That includes the tools used for trip planning.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:32 AM   #15

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-sr@perra-us.net View Post
Try adding an unplanned layover in a hotel after rolling over unavoidable truck tire blowout debris. Debris ripped the tail pipe out of the hanger and pushed the tailpipe under the rear tire and down onto the drive shaft bending the drive shaft.

Here is a photo of the damaged bits.

Ouch! That was a nasty breakdown. I feel your pain. We (well he who shall remain nameless) took a rather steep bump out a driveway. At our next stop I noticed something "hanging" for the undercarriage. Yup, we'd snagged the grey water pipe. Fortunately (or not), it was near the start of a trip so the tank was essentially empty.

DH spent a good hour or more underneath the rig wiring the pipe somewhat securely out of the way. He had laughed at me before departing home "you read too many forums and stuff," when I strongly suggested/insisted that we have a roll of flexible wire in the tool bag. Enough said.

I don't know how to post the photo, but it is one for the trip scrapbook. (Just legs sticking out from under the MH with a tool bag along side.)

We had to put a bucket under the outlet at each nightly stop and then just take it to the dump station. It was NOT funny at the time, but it is a laughable memory now. Once we got home he was able to put the MH on the farm shop hoist and do a proper repair.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:50 AM   #16

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Generally, for a long trip, we'll make the reservations for the most important stop and fill in from there. Usually a year out if it's a desirable place.

On the SC State Parks, they have recently increased prices. Huntington Beach, in season with full hooks ups, is now $110 for a night. For pretty much any SC State Park that is on the water, if you wanted to get a site for the weekend through October, you're too late. These people down here can't get enough of the outdoors! I've been camping in these state parks since I was 13 (for 43 years). I will also say that for spontaneity, we call Thursday and can often find a spot for the weekend. And the customer service at the SC State Parks is without a doubt the best I've ever had at any business. Good luck, and if you do decide to give it up, I'd go with the option of spiked lemonade.
One last thing, stay away from Charleston, it's one big tourist trap with terrible traffic and aggressive mosquitoes.
I learned my lesson on planning even further ahead than I am used to; and I am an obsessive advance planner.

I guess I should consider myself extra lucky after all. I did eventually get 3 nights at Edisto SP, each night on a different site but I won't complain. They aren't on the water, but we will still find many things to enjoy, I hope.

We'll pass through Charleston long enough to visit the National Park forts and a few other historic sites. I was a bit concerned about cruise ships docking but we seem to have managed to pretty much dodge those dates. We'll be sure to carry the bug spray. Thanks for the warning. Hopefully late April isn't too bad yet.

With persistent daily checking I did luck out on snagging 2 nights at Huntington Beach when a cancellation came in. Many thanks to the courtesy of whoever gave up the spot with a fair amount of lead time. I really want to visit Brookgreen Gardens.

The spiked lemonade will be doubly enjoyed at the campsite.
Old 02-27-2023, 02:52 AM   #17

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
The allstays app is 10.00, they have some upgraded versions but the app has always worked just fine. I try and book things out if I can but knock on wood haven’t had a problem getting something last minute. I say that knowing that if my limit for the day was 300 miles. Over the last 50 miles or so there were a couple of campgrounds. So May strike out on one but not all three. As an example
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to look into that app as well. Up until now I managed OK without the apps, but maybe "the times are achangin."
Old 02-27-2023, 02:56 AM   #18

Model: Rize 18M
THOR #28965
I plan longer trips with Garmin BaseCamp. It is free, and the UI is a bit different, resulting in a steep learning curve. But once figured out (there are good YouTube videos that can help), it works really well to plan your trip down to the minute, gas station, and intermediate stops.
Of course, it works best if you use a Garmin GPS.

I place reservations far ahead of time, starting with the most difficult campsite and the rest accordingly. Canceling is usually easy, say compared to airline tickets.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:21 AM   #19

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
Our trips range from 1 week to 6 weeks+ and maybe 7000 miles round trip. We have specific destinations and use whatever cgs are near the destination. We'll stay a couple days or a week depending the area and the sightseeing we plan to do. I'll research the cgs in the area and pick based on reviews, costs, and location. Ive never seen or stayed at a bad KOA. Been to many cg that were great. Since the cg is not our destination I only look for clean and easy access and if it's just an over night stop a pull through site is a must.

And yes we use the cg as home base and drive to sightseeing areas

My mh is 38' so to big for many state parks. Long trips are a pain to set up. My ocd has me plan our entire trip usually a year in advance. I can't wing it as I go. That would stress me out big time. Now I have changed plans mid trip, added days or weeks with little trouble

Jerry
Sounds like our trip styles are similar. A couple of long trips, 3 - 4 weeks, usually 1500-2000 miles each in a year; usually one early spring another in the fall. (We live in northern Michigan so at least 500 miles of that is getting from home to the state line and back home again each trip. That's the price we pay for living in Michigan's vacation paradise but heh, in the summer there is no reason to leave. We just sit on the patio, look out over the farm fields, watch our horses, the sandhill cranes, deer, and sunrise/sunset from the patio with a lemonade in hand.

Clean, relatively level, and budget friendly are our main campground criteria; along with being near what we've come to see. Our MH is an Axis, so only 26 ft long. Bought that small length partly on purpose so we could more easily stay in national parks and such. Pull throughs are nice but not necessary for us.

I want my trip mapped out and pretty much reserved before leaving home. I have lots less stress that way. A mid course, minor reroute for something unexpectedly new to discover is usually OK and doable. Making plan changes before we leave home is just fine if the pieces fit together. Flying by the seat of my pants en route is highly stressful if it occurs a lot. Sometimes I'll leave the last day or so of the return a bit loose so we can be flexible about the home-bound drive. We have family (w/grandkid)/friends in 3 places along the southern tier of the state. So a "late" arrival and overnight stay is easy and usually part of the plan.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:23 AM   #20

THOR #20290
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
My tip is you have to be 10 percent smarter than what you’re working with. That includes the tools used for trip planning.
LOL. Isn't that the truth. I often find a good old fashioned road atlas to be the smartest of the bunch of tools.