Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2019, 12:50 AM   #1

State: California
THOR #5999
Thousand Trails Idyllwild, CA

Decided to brave the California storm and camp in Thousand Trails, Idyllwild. The campground is quiet and peaceful. Special shout out to the staff, they have been amazing. Attachment 21651Click image for larger version

Name:	20191128_154708.jpeg
Views:	166
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	21652

Old 11-29-2019, 03:01 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas
THOR #2485
So how was the drive up there? Last time I looked around August they still hadn't repaired damage to Route 74 from the last rainy season and had sections narrowed to 1 way traffic.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:29 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvflowe View Post
Decided to brave the California storm and camp in Thousand Trails, Idyllwild. The campground is quiet and peaceful. Special shout out to the staff, they have been amazing. Attachment 21651Attachment 21652
I worked at that cg the first year 1000 trails took it over. 1980 I believe. Had a blast working there. I had been going there the past 3 years before because my school friend was working there. Turned 21 while working there. Bar tenders in town got mad at me when I told them it was my 21st birthday. They had served me for 3 years

I went there a couple years ago. Lots of changes over the past 40 years. One of the girls I was friendly with when I worked there still worked there but I never got to see her.

Nice park and I love the town

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:49 AM   #4

THOR #5999
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmshih View Post
So how was the drive up there? Last time I looked around August they still hadn't repaired damage to Route 74 from the last rainy season and had sections narrowed to 1 way traffic.
I came up the back way highway 371, 74, 243. It was smooth before there storm hit.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #5

THOR #5999
Cool story Jerry! I bet a lot has changed in this park over the years. I hope TT keep up the park. Its one of the few that we like in CA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I worked at that cg the first year 1000 trails took it over. 1980 I believe. Had a blast working there. I had been going there the past 3 years before because my school friend was working there. Turned 21 while working there. Bar tenders in town got mad at me when I told them it was my 21st birthday. They had served me for 3 years

I went there a couple years ago. Lots of changes over the past 40 years. One of the girls I was friendly with when I worked there still worked there but I never got to see her.

Nice park and I love the town

Jerry
Old 11-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #6

THOR #5999
First time camping in this kind of weather. Forgot to ask, how much snow can the roof hold?

The camp ground host have been very nice. I have a heated hose and my water line froze. He told me I still need to leave a drip running from the faucet because the water line coming from the ground will freeze. He brought up a heated gun and I'm back in business. Made me wonder why I purchased a heated hose [emoji2377]?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191128_155304.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	178.9 KB
ID:	21657
Old 11-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #7
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvflowe View Post
First time camping in this kind of weather. Forgot to ask, how much snow can the roof hold?

The camp ground host have been very nice. I have a heated hose and my water line froze. He told me I still need to leave a drip running from the faucet because the water line coming from the ground will freeze. He brought up a heated gun and I'm back in business. Made me wonder why I purchased a heated hose [emoji2377]?

Don’t worry about snow on roof... Many park rigs outside for winter storage and snow piles up...
Slide toppers and awnings are all I would be concerned with.

As for heated hose, yep it only protects the hose - not the source feeding it... Even ‘freeze proof’ fittings aren’t when they are open and not flowing.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 08:40 PM   #8

THOR #5999
Good to know, thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Don’t worry about snow on roof... Many park rigs outside for winter storage and snow piles up...
Slide toppers and awnings are all I would be concerned with.

As for heated hose, yep it only protects the hose - not the source feeding it... Even ‘freeze proof’ fittings aren’t when they are open and not flowing.