Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2021, 06:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 34R
State: Texas
THOR #21191
Erie Canal?

Looking to bicycle sections of Erie Canal this late summer. Ideas re good base camp location are welcome. Traveling in class a so need to find a convenient place to park/camp w easy access to bike path. Thanks in advance!

Old 03-20-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Will you be towing a car? or bike straight from campground?

The Cuyahoga Valley National Park has the Ohio & Erie Towpath trail you can bike.
https://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

I believe the closest campground, however, is the Streetsboro KOA about 8 miles away.
https://koa.com/campgrounds/streetsboro/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:26 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
There are two Erie Canals - New York and Ohio. For either one, which section do you plan to bike?

Ohio bike trail map:
https://www.ohioanderiecanalway.com/plan/maps/
Recommended sections: Either Cuyahoga Valley NP, or the very short ride from Bolivar to Zoar... (Zoar is worth visiting, if you're down that way.)

New York bike trail map:
https://www.ptny.org/cycle-the-erie-canal/trail-map

FWIW, I think the Ohio one is better, but I'm biased.
Old 03-20-2021, 11:23 PM   #4

THOR #21191
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Will you be towing a car? or bike straight from campground?

The Cuyahoga Valley National Park has the Ohio & Erie Towpath trail you can bike.
https://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/hiking.htm

I believe the closest campground, however, is the Streetsboro KOA about 8 miles away.
https://koa.com/campgrounds/streetsboro/

Wow. Thanks for quick reply and great idea! We were thinking NY Erie Canal but planning to travel west to east and would be stopping in Cleveland to see friends. So we’ll do both canals! We are towing a car but a camp spot close to trail is preferred. Of course if there are really special/ neat places you recommend we are open to any/all suggestions! Thanks again
Old 03-20-2021, 11:28 PM   #5

THOR #21191
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
There are two Erie Canals - New York and Ohio. For either one, which section do you plan to bike?

Ohio bike trail map:

https://www.ohioanderiecanalway.com/plan/maps/

Recommended sections: Either Cuyahoga Valley NP, or the very short ride from Bolivar to Zoar... (Zoar is worth visiting, if you're down that way.)

New York bike trail map:

https://www.ptny.org/cycle-the-erie-canal/trail-map

FWIW, I think the Ohio one is better, but I'm biased.

Thanks for the quick reply. We are thinking NY canal, specifically looking for recommendations re sections to ride (not interested in riding entire length) that are considered better than others—more scenic, nice/quaint towns to ride through.
But since we are also going through Ohio and will near Cleveland we might do both trails. Hey, good to be retired w no schedule!
Thanks for your help!
Old 03-21-2021, 02:10 AM   #6

THOR #20900
I know nothing about the NY one other than that it exists. My daughter is going to RIT, and my son to Clarkson U, so between the two of them we've become familiar with parts of NY that we otherwise wouldn't have.

Areas in CVNP ... Haven't been there in years, since it was CVNRA. I grew up, up there. I'm a hiker more than cyclist, and always enjoyed hiking the towpath, and some of the other Akron Metropark trails (Hampton Hills in particular). The towpath and the bike trail run next to each other through most of the park. The bike trail ride from Boston Mills or Peninsula south to Everett would be a really nice ride. Boston Mills and Peninsula (small towns in the middle of the park) are nice, quaint, places to visit (especially Peninsula), and Brandywine Falls is a quick visit that's just a short walk from the parking lot (east of Peninsula). There are also a pair of ski resorts, one of which is in Boston Mills across the street from the CVNP visitor's center. No, not great skiing (~250 foot vertical), but they were local.

Someone else here (JamieGeek?) may have visited more recently...
Old 03-21-2021, 04:53 AM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Someone else here (JamieGeek?) may have visited more recently...
Sadly, no not yet. May be on the schedule for this year, however.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:45 AM   #8

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #20290
Just a heads up - Check for current conditions @ CVNP before you go.

It was one of our possibilities for our late April trip. Turns out they are doing some maintenance/repair on part of the tow path, so some areas are temporarily closed. We are going to Indiana Dunes instead and will bike CVNP once they are done with the fixes.

If you do make a stop, please report back. We have not actually been there so would love to hear your feedback. The bike & ride the train back sounded intriguing.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:32 PM   #9

Model: Windsport 32R
State: South Carolina
THOR #17209
If you are near Rochester, NY and RIT (my alma mater), To the East is a town called Macedon. There is a campground right on the canal and the bike paths are paved. You can ride West to Fairport and there is a restaurant right next to the canal and a great ice cream shop. You can ride further West all the way to Rochester or East to Palmyra right in the village. Have fun.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:10 PM   #10

Model: Ace 29.4
State: New York
THOR #7688
Grew up in Syracuse, NY with the bike path of the canal very close to our house. Green Lakes State park has a great campground associated with it and an entrance to the bike path is less than five minutes away. The campground fills up fast so I suggest you make a reservation before heading there.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:38 PM   #11

THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLeenhouts View Post
If you are near Rochester, NY and RIT (my alma mater), To the East is a town called Macedon. There is a campground right on the canal and the bike paths are paved. You can ride West to Fairport and there is a restaurant right next to the canal and a great ice cream shop. You can ride further West all the way to Rochester or East to Palmyra right in the village. Have fun.
Twilight on the Erie RV Resort?

That looks like a really nice gentle ride! Thanks!
Old 04-05-2021, 06:42 PM   #12

THOR #21191
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLeenhouts View Post
Great suggestion! Thanks
Old 04-05-2021, 07:10 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If you get near Herkimer: there's a nice KOA there...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:19 PM   #14

THOR #21191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you get near Herkimer: there's a nice KOA there...
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I also got my hands on a book "Cycling the Erie Canal" which breaks the trail into easy sections. Now just hunting for convenient campgrounds. Not planning to ride entire length. Just camping and ride one way one day and the other the next and then move to new spot.

Thanks!