Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
thanks doc

Old 01-20-2016, 07:42 PM   #22

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacher View Post
I'm and old Eagle Scout and grew up backpacking to some really nice and backwoods out of the way locations that are my favorites. Very wild and nice places in Alaska, Georgia, the Carolinas, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and Oregon, but, the motorhome can't get to those!

But, the five where the motorhome will fit......

1. Walt Disney World's Fort Wilderness, (with the kids of course)!
2. Any California beach-front campsite at sunset, (except Dockweiler and Huntington Beach - too crowded).
3. California's Eastern High Sierras, almost anywhere.
4. Yosemite
5 Yellowstone
Beacher, have you stayed at the campground at west end of the Mt. Whitney Portal Road? Where the road ends? I've driven there and ridden my bike up a few times, but haven't camped. Want to try it though next time I drive to California.

Also, have you stayed or know much about the campground at end of Onion Valley Rd? It's just off Independence, and a few miles north of Mt Whitney Portal Rd. That campground was a lot more open and not as crowded when I drove by.

The few areas I've visited looked great for cycling and hiking. Was wondering if it's hard to get in during summer when it's warmer. I'm looking forward to going back as soon as I can get away for extended visit.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:31 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Beacher, have you stayed at the campground at west end of the Mt. Whitney Portal Road? Where the road ends? I've driven there and ridden my bike up a few times, but haven't camped. Want to try it though next time I drive to California.

Also, have you stayed or know much about the campground at end of Onion Valley Rd? It's just off Independence, and a few miles north of Mt Whitney Portal Rd. That campground was a lot more open and not as crowded when I drove by.

The few areas I've visited looked great for cycling and hiking. Was wondering if it's hard to get in during summer when it's warmer. I'm looking forward to going back as soon as I can get away for extended visit.
Mt. Whitney Portal Road ends at the trailhead to hike to Mt. Whitney. I have only camped there under the stars when I was a Scout before our climb and after our decent. There is a nice waterfall nearby for summer fun.

Where Onion Valley Road ends you will find Onion Valley Campground. It's a small loop with a few RV spots, available on Reserve America six months in advance. Lots of good fishing if you hike to one of the nearby lakes. Very nice!

As far as motorhomes go, both sites have back-in slots that can accommodate a rig shorter than 38 feet, with overhand into the dirt area.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:22 PM   #24

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
State: Ohio
THOR #1295
Going to New York City this July - 1st time. Anyone recommend a campground near there which is close to the train to the downtown?
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:05 AM   #25

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Going to New York City this July - 1st time. Anyone recommend a campground near there which is close to the train to the downtown?
The only one that I know of is the Liberty Harbor Marina in Jersey City. I think the web site is Liberty Harbor Marina | NYC Marina | New York City Fuel Dock | NYC Boat Storage. There is a ferry across the harbor to NYC. I have never stayed there, but it us on my bucket list. Pretty pricy but it does not have any competition.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:22 AM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #3216
I believe they have a great Bluegrass Festival there too.
Hendersonville, NC
billnagle6900@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:51 AM   #27

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Looking at Walt Disney Fort Wilderness in October. Do you have easy access to all the facilities
Old 03-05-2016, 03:16 AM   #28

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
There is Disney Buses to all the parks. Fort Wilderness is across the lake from Magic Kingdom. There is a boat that runs every 10 minutes.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 03:19 AM   #29

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Looking at Walt Disney Fort Wilderness in October. Do you have easy access to all the facilities
Haven't been there in a while, but there was a tram and boat access to all the parks from the campground. You don't have to move your RV to access Disney sites.
Old 03-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #30

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Thanks for the information guys. We have some friends staying in a condo and we are going to wine and dine with them.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #31

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Yeah, mass transit at Disney is very well organized. It's easy to get anywhere you want to go.

While it doesn't go by the campground, I recommend riding the monorail within the facility if you haven't done it before and get a chance. I lived in Orlando area and visited Disney World often back then and the monorail was a treat I always enjoyed.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:49 PM   #32

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Easy to get to the monorail from Fort Wilderness. No matter where your site is in FW, there are Disney shuttle buses that run about every 20 mins to take you to the Outpost (main entrance and bus shelter for all other parks and facilities) or the Settlement (restaurant and marina). From the marina you could take the boat taxi across the lake to the Magic Kingdom entrance. The monorail has a station right in front of Magic Kingdom where the boat taxi drops you off.

We have been going to Disney World regularly for the past 15 years. Last year we bought the Vegas 24.1 and we try to go to Fort Wilderness at least once a month (we have FL resident annual passes). Altogether we must have at least 40 visits to Disney World. In all that time we have NEVER used our car to go anywhere within the Disney complex. Its bus system is one of the largest in the US and there is nothing in Disney World that is not accessible from their buses. No hassle finding a place to park, and no long walks from the parking lots.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:35 AM   #33
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Campgrounds...WOW !! lets see...
Colorado... Chalk Creek Campground , Nathrop (on a river, nice sites)
Tall Texan RV Park, Gunnison (north of Gunnison, lots of trees)
KOA, LaJunta (a nice stopping place on the way to Rockies)
Washington, Seattle suburb..Bothel ..
Lake Pleasant (an older campground on small lakes/ponds
nice setting and well kept
Missouri Several campgrounds on Lake Tanneycomo & Lake of Ozarks
Florida this year we will park at Santan RV Resort, Lakeland
(usually we park in the kids driveway)
Nevada Las Vegas/Henderson .. Duck Creek Campground
(nice, clean, but not many trees..HOT in June !)
Utah Bryce Canyon...Rubys Inn & RV Park (big complex at Bryce Entrance)
Old 04-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #34

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Connecticut
THOR #3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNMIB View Post
Fort Wilderness is AMAZING! Transportation is great and service is terrific. I have two pieces of advice.

1. Even though they may text you with your site number and tell you you can go directly to the site, don't. Stop at the front desk and check in. Pick their brains about activities and times of shows and events. Also you can request an alternate campsite if you don't like the one they give you.

2. Reserve a golf cart. We're a younger family and had bicycles. But a golf cart was invaluable. Just for getting around Fort wilderness
Old 04-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #35

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Looking for campground suggestions in Hendersonville / Saluda NC area. We are thinking about a mid May visit. Probably will be there 5 or 6 days and will be visiting area sites each day. We will be traveling in 30' MH with a toad.
Old 04-03-2016, 05:47 PM   #36

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: North Carolina
THOR #3216
Quote:
Originally Posted by John & Diane View Post
Looking for campground suggestions in Hendersonville / Saluda NC area. We are thinking about a mid May visit. Probably will be there 5 or 6 days and will be visiting area sites each day. We will be traveling in 30' MH with a toad.
http://cfaia.org/lake-powhatan-recreation-area-campgrounds-in-north-carolina/
This is a nice one if you need hookups.
I would choose it due to its easy accessibility and central location. It's convenient to Asheville, blue ridge parkway, the Arboretum, the waterfalls of Transivabia County, DuPont State forest, etc
Old 04-03-2016, 05:51 PM   #37

THOR #3785
Yosemite Recommendation

Hi All!

Going cross country next summer and starting to plan now. Yosemite will be one of the highlights and I'm trying to figure out where to stay. I don't think I want to stay in the park, as I'm with pets and want full hookup.

Could anyone suggest a truly exceptional campground?

Bill
2016 Challenger 37TB
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #38

THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillT View Post
Hi All!

Going cross country next summer and starting to plan now. Yosemite will be one of the highlights and I'm trying to figure out where to stay. I don't think I want to stay in the park, as I'm with pets and want full hookup.

Could anyone suggest a truly exceptional campground?

Bill
Yosemite is one of the few National Parks where the major campgrounds are all reservations inside the park and they fill up fast. There are only a couple of private campgrounds close to the park entrance, although one has over 200 sites. While I almost never make a reservation far in advance, Yosemite is one place where I found it was necessary. I have stayed inside the park, but have not stayed in the private campgrounds outside. It is well worth seeing, but I found it crowded and difficult to get into.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #39

THOR #3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
Yosemite is one of the few National Parks where the major campgrounds are all reservations inside the park and they fill up fast. There are only a couple of private campgrounds close to the park entrance, although one has over 200 sites. While I almost never make a reservation far in advance, Yosemite is one place where I found it was necessary. I have stayed inside the park, but have not stayed in the private campgrounds outside. It is well worth seeing, but I found it crowded and difficult to get into.
This is what I hear. I'm looking for the best private campground I can find. Would you know the names of any that are close?

Bill
2016 Challenger 37TB
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:57 PM   #40

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
One of our fav's

Lost Lake Resort and Campground - Lost Lake Resort

Dry camping, but has water & dump at the maintance shed. Very quiet and the fishing is great.
The only thing to keep in mind is that the road up to the lake is twisty with switch backs, so if you have a large Class "A" with multi slideouts may want to forgo this state park.
Saw several "Mega" coaches have slideout issues after setting up or breaking down camp, 5ers and travel trailers not so much.(coaches have to "flex or twist" where as trailers will pivot on the hitch).
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote