Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-11-2020, 02:47 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Arkansas
THOR #20830
First big trip - Sedona. Any advice?

The wife and I are taking our new hurricane 29m on its first big road trip next week.

We are driving from Arkansas to Sedona, and we plan to attempt some disbursed camping. I’ve done a little research and I see that there is a road 525 and a few other similar locations a few miles outside of Sedona.

Any advice on the area?

Any idea how far down these roads we can go in a class A?

Any and all advice appreciated. We are also open to other places. We picked this one because ... well, it’s winter. Our only goal is to take pics, fly the drone, do some driving in the Jeep (toad), and just start to learn all the things we don’t know that we don’t know.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:16 AM   #2

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Sedona is magical. The light off of the red rock canyons is breathtaking.

We camped in a USFS campground a few miles north of town. Some sites back up to the creek. Great place!!!

David
Old 11-11-2020, 03:27 AM   #3

THOR #20830
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidEM View Post
Sedona is magical. The light off of the red rock canyons is breathtaking.

We camped in a USFS campground a few miles north of town. Some sites back up to the creek. Great place!!!

David
Do you by any chance remember the name?
Old 11-11-2020, 12:05 PM   #4

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburns884 View Post
Do you by any chance remember the name?
Pine Flat or Cave Springs, both about 12 mi N of Sedona.

David
Old 11-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Flagstaff is a nice location to visit, but it is a college town and busy with traffic. Williams is a good spot just before Flagstaff. You might be able to get into the observatory and take their self guided tour in Flagstaff. You came base camp and take the jeep around in Flagstaff and Williams. Lots of great scenery to photograph.

Paul
Old 11-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The best of luck to you during your shakedown cruise; please take lots of pictures for the rest of us!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 03:26 PM   #7

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
If your heading to Arizona to avoid winter Flagstaff & Williams may not be where you want to be this time of year, they can & do get plenty of snow & cold. Sedona may also get cold. It all depends on Mother Nature's mood!
All are great places to visit though!
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 06:25 PM   #8

THOR #20830
We will definitely be taking a ton of pictures on the trip. We are leaving the kiddos behind for this one and we have promised them lots of daily pics.

I am getting a little concerned that we may not be able to find a spot to set up, as we will be arriving late on Friday, or early on Saturday. Looks like this is definitely a peak month. All the campgrounds and RV parks are booked. We would prefer to boondock in BLM or NF land anyway, I'm just hoping we aren't going to get out there and find that all the spots we can make it to in our class A are going to be filled! Not sure what we will do if that happens, but I guess figuring that out is part of those lessons to be learned!
Old 11-13-2020, 04:40 PM   #9

Brand: Keystone
State: South Carolina
THOR #21131
Don't miss the art mall down town.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sedona art mall .jpg
Views:	73
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	27132
Old 11-18-2020, 07:53 PM   #10

Model: Chateau
THOR #17997
Sedona gets cold in the winter however Rancho Sedona RV Park right on Oak Creek about a 1/4 mile from town is pretty nice. Also it is right on Schnebly Hill Road that goes off-road for 17 miles and puts you out about 10 miles from Flagstaff. You can then take Hwy 17 South th back to camp. Its a fairly easy off road. A fair amount of stuff to see but after a couple days you kind of want to move on. Flagstaff is nice as is the Bearizona Animal Park in Williams and from Williams you are only an easy 60 mile drive to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Have fun.
1995 Jeep YJ
gtw5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:06 PM   #11

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
THOR #13932
Maybe a better idea would be to find a park farther away and then daytrip to Sedona.
The parks in Williams are open.
The one 8 miles down the 64, the road to the grand canyon, only had 5 spots with a rv in it yesterday.
You'll want to see the whole area anyway as long as you're out here.
Flagstaff has the worst traffic in America. Equate it to what you've heard about Rome and Guadalajara, then add students.
But
It's doable, just no reason to go to Flagstaff other than the old telescope at the observatory. It's on the outskirts and easy to get to while avoiding town itself.

If you get into a REAL pinch, pm me. We have a spot open for an rv between Williams and the grand canyon.

Sedona is a day at the most.
Someone came by the house last week after going ro Sedona. Said they saw a legit(they took a picture) dollar store item in a Sedona gift shop for $22. Same as any other tourist town.
It's like any tourist town, but with big rocks.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:49 PM   #12

THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
It's like any tourist town, but with big rocks.
But those rocks are magnificent.

I do think you trashed Sedona a little too hard. The galleries on the main drag are worth a look as well as some interesting restaurants with red rock views from your table.

But yes, like any town with no real purpose other than to attract tourists, it is touristy.

David
Old 11-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Sedona

It will be cold but sunny! Make sure to see the church of the rocks there. Schnebly hill road out of sedona is a great 4wd road! Great story about the history of the road too. There is a great place on 89 that has a lot of kinetic wind sculptures. We bought one years ago and its great. On 89 north of town at the top of the canyon is a rest area with lots of local Indian artists and crafters. Terrific things there. If you are coming in to AZ on I 40 go on down I 17 and come in from the south on 89A. You will not like the road down off the rim in a Motorhome pulling your jeep!!!!
Old 11-18-2020, 09:59 PM   #14

Model: Citation Sprinter 24ST
THOR #20892
Sedona

We live in Prescott Valley about 45 mins from Sedona. Awsome town with breathtaking scenery. Jerome is an old copper mining town just a few miles from Sedona. It's a mini-Sedona and worth visiting. Rt 89 from Sedona to Prescott can be challenging with lots of switchbacks, etc. However, I see a lot of class-As on it all the time.

Prescott is the original territorial capitol of AZ with lots of historical wild west stuff going on. Whiskey Row is a tourist must.

While in Sedona visit the Tlaquepaque Arts Village.. The Honshin Fine Art Gallery has a display of solid copper platonic solids that are awsome.

The store with the wind chimes someone mentioned has a big 6 foot white chicken out front. We drop in there everytime we go over there.

Enjoy
Old 11-18-2020, 11:11 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Some of the best chinese food downtown..also there is a small church overlooking the valley must see!!
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:55 AM   #16

THOR #13932
Montezuma castle is a nice place just outside of Sedona.
A smaller and more compact Mesa Verde.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:33 AM   #17

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Sedona Flagstaff Camping

We lived in Mesa, Az. for 6 years. To escape the summer 115 degree heat we went to Flagstaff on weekends and stayed at a real nice KOA in flagstaff. Us 89 between Sedona and Flag is very windy and steep climbing 3000' in elevation. There are some newer campgrounds in Sedona and the campgrounds at the south rim of the grand canyon are nice. Sedona area is very rocky more suited for your jeep. Besure to visit slide rock on oak creek.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:41 AM   #18

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Sedona Trip

Ok and beware of I-17 traveling south flagstaff to Sedona very steep go slow at first easy on the brakes many truckers burn out their brakes on the 10% down grade. There is an emergency escape ramp for run away vehicles if your brakes go out that I designed when I worked for the Arizona Department of Transportation.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:48 AM   #19

THOR #13932
I forgot about black barts campground in Flagstaff!
Clean enough aging park but a GREAT steakhouse is there.
Singing waitstaff does show tunes and some of them are choreographed. College kids from NAU.
Serviceable bar.

Old 11-19-2020, 03:02 AM   #20
MLP

THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I forgot about black barts campground in Flagstaff!
Clean enough aging park but a GREAT steakhouse is there.
Singing waitstaff does show tunes and some of them are choreographed. College kids from NAU.
Serviceable bar.
Stayed at Black Barts and the stake was great. We were told the singing staff was from the college music department. Enjoyed it all. For Sedona, we stayed out of town at Zane Gray RV Park in Camp Verde. We liked the park. Have also stayed at the Thousand Trails Park.

If you are going through Amarillo Texas, the Big Texan has fantastic stakes.