Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2021, 04:46 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport
State: Arkansas
THOR #557
Have been to or through Albuquerque many times in an ACE30.1 and our current Windsport. An easy drive. Going you will be going uphill and against the wind. Lots of good RV parks along the way. Although some people say it is just a tourist trap, The big Texan is worth the stop. The "Overnight RV park" is close. If you call the Big Texan they will send their Limo for you. Happy travels

Old 03-11-2021, 05:03 AM   #22

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
State: Indiana
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
I find it fascinating to see the change in the topography and the trees. As you go west in Ok, the land starts to roll, and the trees thin out, then disappear.
Oh, I'd suggest stopping at the Rte 66 museum in Clinton Ok. It's right on the business 40.
Well if doing Route 66 may as well go all the way to Winslow. Loved it and the memories of youth flooded back. 😎
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:05 AM   #23

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
We ate with two other couples at Paula Deans restaurant and 5 of the 6 of us were sick as dogs by morning. Since you pretty much all have to eat the same stuff we figured she poisoned us! We laugh about it every time we camp together...now!
Bummer, sorry you got poisoned. I hear they do that to everyone from Alabama 😂 Guess every restaurant has its bad day.
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
Old 03-11-2021, 05:24 AM   #24

Brand: DRV
Model: 2010 MS 38TKSB3
State: Oklahoma
THOR #3240
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
1. Stop in Pigeon Forge TN to eat at Paula Dean's restaurant (you won't be sorry)
2. Go see Elvis in Memphis
3. Don't even slow down in Little Rock
4. 10 miles s/w of Little Rock on 30 in Benton AR eat at Brown's Store/Restaurant OMG amazing
5. The rest of 40 from Fort Smith to Albuquerque all across Oklahoma is fairly boring.

My take on traveling ANY interstate is that it can be pretty boring, thus the wife and I prefer taking smaller roads and seeing better country.

That said, there are interesting things to see when crossing I-40. For instance, about 20 miles or so south of Amarillo is Canyon, TX, which seems to be named for the Palo Duro Canyon east of that city. As one is driving out towards the state park, one is on rolling hills and then suddenly off to one's right is a big hole in the ground. Palo Duro Canyon (the entirety of it, not just the state park) is second in size only to the Grand Canyon.

Terry
Terry and Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 05:29 AM   #25

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry and Jo View Post
My take on traveling ANY interstate is that it can be pretty boring, thus the wife and I prefer taking smaller roads and seeing better country.

That said, there are interesting things to see when crossing I-40. For instance, about 20 miles or so south of Amarillo is Canyon, TX, which seems to be named for the Palo Duro Canyon east of that city. As one is driving out towards the state park, one is on rolling hills and then suddenly off to one's right is a big hole in the ground. Palo Duro Canyon (the entirety of it, not just the state park) is second in size only to the Grand Canyon.

Terry
I wonder if my mother in law would fit in that big hole? 😈
Old 03-12-2021, 05:50 PM   #26

State: New Mexico
THOR #16383
The inclines aren’t too bad, but we are known for wind gusts. Recommend you drive 10 and 2 like they used to teach in drivers ed. Depending on the size of your rig, there is plenty to do here and they have reopened state parks to non-residents.
Drive safe!
Old 03-12-2021, 06:48 PM   #27

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by eodchik@yahoo.com View Post
The inclines aren’t too bad, but we are known for wind gusts. Recommend you drive 10 and 2 like they used to teach in drivers ed. Depending on the size of your rig, there is plenty to do here and they have reopened state parks to non-residents.
Drive safe!
Err- I you have a steering wheel airbag, the recommended hand position is at 7 and 5 position to keep your hands under the airbag when deploying.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:39 PM   #28

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
Err- I you have a steering wheel airbag, the recommended hand position is at 7 and 5 position to keep your hands under the airbag when deploying.
In the event of an event that deploys your airbags. The last thing to worry about is where your hands were, your problems will be much bigger than that.
Old 03-12-2021, 10:50 PM   #29

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
In the event of an event that deploys your airbags. The last thing to worry about is where your hands were, your problems will be much bigger than that.
Unless both wrist are broken and you are trying to open the door or crawl out of a window.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:02 AM   #30

THOR #6280
Quote:
Unless both wrist are broken and you are trying to open the door or crawl out of a window.
If you’re able to crawl.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:01 AM   #31

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Hands at 5 & 7 feels absolutely awkward! Been driving with hands at 10 & 2 for over 50 years for millions of miles never had an airbag deploy & don't think I could/will change now, I'll just have to risk it.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:05 PM   #32

State: Arkansas
THOR #16239
Drive I 40 regularly from Little Rock to Albuquerque and it is an easy drive. Boring but not difficult. Heavy truck traffic is the biggest issue, particularly east of OK so you shouldn’t have any trouble.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:22 PM   #33

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:

They tested this on Mythbusters and concluded that there was no risk of seriously damaging your hands. The greater risk, which also was not especially severe, was that if your hands are in the way of the deploying airbag you are likely to smack yourself in the face, which will hurt and might bloody your nose. Good enough for me!
Old 03-13-2021, 06:14 PM   #34

Model: ACE 30.3
THOR #10883
ACE 30.3 2018
I have driven from east Texas to Albuquerque several times in my unit pulling my Jeep.The grades are long but usually wide and good hi ways. The biggest problem you will have is the wind. Once in the pan handle in Texas all the rest of the way is Very windy. Almost always, all day long. Always north or south, so heavy cross wind and many 18 wheelers all day long. It can be a handfull at times. Be prepared.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:12 PM   #35

THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
They tested this on Mythbusters and concluded that there was no risk of seriously damaging your hands. The greater risk, which also was not especially severe, was that if your hands are in the way of the deploying airbag you are likely to smack yourself in the face, which will hurt and might bloody your nose. Good enough for me!
The hand position on the steering wheel is covered extensively in the AARP old geezer driving course (AARP Smart Driver Course) . They subscribe to snuffle hand (rather than overhand) movement on the steering wheel and low hand position. I don't own a car or motor home with air bags and only the Hurricane has power steering, power brakes and automatic transmission.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:01 PM   #36

THOR #6280
Quote:
The hand position on the steering wheel is covered extensively in the AARP old geezer driving course (AARP Smart Driver Course) . They subscribe to snuffle hand (rather than overhand) movement on the steering wheel and low hand position. I don't own a car or motor home with air bags and only the Hurricane has power steering, power brakes and automatic transmission.
I never pay any attention to the clock position of my hands on the wheel. I'm far too busy texting, talking on the phone, watching TV, petting the dog in my lap, drinking beer, bushing buttons on the Navigation computer screen blocking half my windshield while doing 95mph and smoking pot to bother with where my hands are.
Old 03-13-2021, 10:24 PM   #37

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:

Sounds like you might have some interesting iron? My favorite cars - and I’ve owned lots of them - are all manual everything. Can’t get most of it anymore...