Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2022, 12:36 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #22773
Florida Caverns State Park Camping Video

Old 08-12-2022, 08:05 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany
State: Texas
THOR #1808
we went there a WHILE ago
funny story while walking back up to the main trial, we were walking a trial about 6 or 8 feet wide
came around the corner and there was a Rattlesnake across the trail, his/her head was off one side in the light brush and the other end was still in the brush on the other side

w were going to turn around and go back, but that meant another mile in the woods and we were hot and running out of water.
so we both took off running and leaped over the snake
when we got back to trail head and office we told the ranger about the snake, YUP we got em real big here be careful was his reply

Old 08-12-2022, 10:52 PM   #3

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerboatr View Post
we went there a WHILE ago
funny story while walking back up to the main trial, we were walking a trial about 6 or 8 feet wide
came around the corner and there was a Rattlesnake across the trail, his/her head was off one side in the light brush and the other end was still in the brush on the other side

w were going to turn around and go back, but that meant another mile in the woods and we were hot and running out of water.
so we both took off running and leaped over the snake
when we got back to trail head and office we told the ranger about the snake, YUP we got em real big here be careful was his reply

Jumping over a 6+ ft snake???
Old 08-13-2022, 02:57 AM   #4

State: Florida
THOR #27426
That's one of the places I would like to take my wife in our new RV. I went there many times as a kid, with school groups, scouts, and my family. It was a beautiful park ... I assume it still is.

When I was maybe ten years old, we went there with my grandmother. During the tour of the main caverns, the guide, as a joke, stopped us in a chamber with a low ceiling to tell the history of the caverns. As we stood, bending over to keep from hitting our heads, the guide described how workers were paid a dollar a day to excavate the caverns. "They should have paid them $2 and told them to dig it deeper," I said. A while later, my grandmother showed us a letter that she received from Readers Digest. She had written the event up as a story and submitted to the magazine for one of their columns. The letter said that they weren't going to print the story but thanked her for the submission.

During a later visit with the Boy Scouts, we explored some of the smaller caves in the park. As I recall crawling on my stomach through those tight caves with others in front and behind me, I'm starting to feel a little queasy. It's amazing to me that I wasn't claustrophobic at all back then. I needed a Valium to survive a few minutes in a MRI machine not long ago.

One of the things I thought was cool (pun intended) about living in North Florida was how the spring-fed rivers and creeks were always about the same temperature all year long. So, in the summer, as you walked along a stream, the breeze across the water would feel like air conditioning. I especially remember that feeling while exploring the Florida Caverns park. Hiking through the woods was cool in more ways than one!