Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Florida and Georgia to join EZ-Pass

This is good news:
https://www.e-zpassiag.com/images/Ne...AL_7-06-20.pdf

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Hallelujah!
Thanks for some very welcome news!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
That's right up there with Federal law mandating that all toll systems be compatible by (date long gone). I'll celebrate when it actually happens, not when there's a press release.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That's right up there with Federal law mandating that all toll systems be compatible by (date long gone). I'll celebrate when it actually happens, not when there's a press release.
Well it looks like you won't have long to wait to find out if its just smoke and mirrors or a real thing:
Quote:
Nicola Liquori, CEO of Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise : “Interoperability with E-ZPass has been a longstanding goal, and now it is a reality. By the end of the year, millions of E-ZPass customers will enjoy the
benefits of the SunPass system on 764 miles of roadway from the Panhandle to the Keys. This effort
aligns with our goals to improve mobility by promoting electronic tolling and, more importantly, to
enhance customer service by increasing payment options.”
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:03 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My fingers is crossed...
Old 07-23-2020, 09:42 PM   #6

State: Arkansas
THOR #19565
I actually just ordered an RV toll pass with access to most statesClick image for larger version

Name:	Image%20(6).jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	25137Click image for larger version

Name:	Image%20(7).jpeg
Views:	149
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	25138
Old 07-23-2020, 11:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by bojanlora View Post
I actually just ordered an RV toll pass with access to most statesAttachment 25137Attachment 25138
Yep; that's been discussed before. You're the first I am aware of that thinks it's worth the $15 a month to use it to pay tolls.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:42 AM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
15.00 monthly service fee plus the 6.00 round trip to the outer banks is 21.00. And if I go for a couple weeks it could be 36.00.

Talk about a rip off. No way I’d let one of those things near my rig. I have more respect for money than to do something that .......
Old 07-24-2020, 03:31 AM   #9

THOR #19565
Gee I feel so welcomed
Old 07-24-2020, 05:05 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #3732
Indeed. I would only note (as an owner of an Illinois EZPass, even though we are from WA), if it works for you, that’s all that matters. In my opinion, if $ 20 / month is an issue, don’t own a Thor. I think that works out to about the cost of the phone bill to our repair place, and I do about half the work myself.

Andy
2015 Axis 24.1
Old 07-24-2020, 12:58 PM   #11
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by saerdna View Post
Indeed. I would only note (as an owner of an Illinois EZPass, even though we are from WA), if it works for you, that’s all that matters. In my opinion, if $ 20 / month is an issue, don’t own a Thor. I think that works out to about the cost of the phone bill to our repair place, and I do about half the work myself.

Andy
2015 Axis 24.1
I picked the right dealer, did the research and conducted a comprehensive PDI and never had any major issues with my Thor Challenger in the five years we owned it so your analogy is not even in the ballpark. In fact, that was the only RV that I never had to file a claim against the extended warranty and felt I lost money on the warranty selection.

I will continue to use my EZ Pass which does not have a monthly service charge if used and I will continue to pay cash if needed in states that do not use EZ pass. I do, however, try to avoid toll roads if possible to keep from lining the pockets of greedy organizations (contractors or government).

As I have always said, folks can do whatever they think their wallets can afford. My wallet can not afford throwing money away.

If that's what turns your crank then go for it but don't balk when folks point out a major flaw with the system. I would hazard to guess that for 90 - 95 percent of the folks out here that system has no cost or economic benefit.

Agin, no thanks
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:00 PM   #12
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Gee I feel so welcomed
Nothing against you. The system you are touting is the issue. Sorry that I posted a comment demonstrating the serious lack of economic benefit.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-24-2020, 02:06 PM   #13

THOR #19565
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Nothing against you. The system you are touting is the issue. Sorry that I posted a comment demonstrating the serious lack of economic benefit.
I wasn't touting it persay, just stating the fact that I got it.

Even this second response is condescending.

Instead of encouraging me to consider the drawbacks of the system you decided to make me feel like am an idiot for not knowing the obvious.

What if I don't care about $15/month and consider it worth the convenience of not having to worry about which pass I need in this state or that state.

That maybe of NO value to you but for you to be so dismissive and condesending is incongruent with the nature of forum like this and honestly RV life.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:00 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:

Instead of encouraging me to consider the drawbacks of the system you decided to make me feel like am an idiot for not knowing the obvious.

What if I don't care about $15/month and consider it worth the convenience of not having to worry about which pass I need in this state or that state.

That maybe of NO value to you but for you to be so dismissive and condesending is incongruent with the nature of forum like this and honestly RV life.
You're right. I should have used "plugging" instead of "touting".

All of my comments were directed towards the system. If you think that they were directed towards you they were not in any way shape or form and you are mistaken.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-24-2020, 03:05 PM   #15

Model: Chateau 31L
State: California
THOR #2917
Quote:

You're going to fit in here just fine.

Hang in there and enjoy these forums and keep contributing. Even though the more outspoken here have no problem sharing their positive and negative opinions, you'll get excellent responses from them when you realy need them.

To me sometimes it seems like some tend to reply as they are heading into change their Depends so they don't have much time to put together a pleasant response. Others will at times just comment to rack up their reply count.

But when it's all said and done this is an entertaining group, filled with experienced and knowlegeable individuals that are outspoken, but there for you with multiple opinions and solutions when you really need them.
dlbeck27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #16

THOR #19565
Quote:
You're right. I should have used "plugging" instead of "touting".

All of my comments were directed towards the system. If you think that they were directed towards you they were not in any way shape or form and you are mistaken.
On a good note, you made me consider the benefit of at least getting a TX-Toll tag so when I travel locally I don't incur the monthly charge
Old 07-24-2020, 03:36 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I've got a way of looking at these things...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1595604963
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floating Your Goat.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	25160  
Old 07-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #18
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
On a good note, you made me consider the benefit of at least getting a TX-Toll tag so when I travel locally I don't incur the monthly charge
FWIW

Last August and September when we were looking at DPs one of the dealers mentioned that one manufacturer (can't remember which) was installing these systems (RV Pass) or something similar, at the factory and listing it as a feature. They also said the system would be activated during the sales acceptance process. Unlike Sirius XM there was no mention of a free trial period of 6 months or a year.

I wonder how many people activated this system and then got slammed with the service charge without knowing it was coming. Paper being shoved at folks rather quickly, finance mangers trying to rush folks to sign without reading, kid in the candy store atmosphere. Then the bill hits with the first use and the response from customer service "you signed the user agreement".

Again, FWIW.
FMCA - F432054
Old 07-24-2020, 11:19 PM   #19

Model: Chateau 31L
THOR #12189
Quote:
FWIW

Last August and September when we were looking at DPs one of the dealers mentioned that one manufacturer (can't remember which) was installing these systems (RV Pass) or something similar, at the factory and listing it as a feature. They also said the system would be activated during the sales acceptance process. Unlike Sirius XM there was no mention of a free trial period of 6 months or a year.

I wonder how many people activated this system and then got slammed with the service charge without knowing it was coming. Paper being shoved at folks rather quickly, finance mangers trying to rush folks to sign without reading, kid in the candy store atmosphere. Then the bill hits with the first use and the response from customer service "you signed the user agreement".

Again, FWIW.
"Paper being shoved at folks rather quickly, finance mangers trying to rush folks to sign without reading, kid in the candy store atmosphere".

That about sums it up.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:01 PM   #20

State: Ohio
THOR #15963
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post

We went with E-Pass Xtra a few years ago for 18 state coverage and no yearly fees like Ohio charges. $18.00 and your done except for your tolls that can be up to 40% less in FL.