Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2021, 08:36 PM   #1
BC1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 24HE
State: New York
THOR #20090
Decided not to get an RV GPS or GPS App

Hi everyone. Hope you are all doing ok.

I'm getting ready for my first trip this season (NY to SC) late March. After much research I think I have decided not to get an RV GPS unit or even an RV GPS app. My MH is just under 25' and I don't tow and I live in NY so I know to always be on the lookout for low overpasses, parkways where RVs can't go and tunnels, bridges w/RV restrictions.

I decided to just use the Good Sam Trip Planner (putting in propane and height of RV) and print out those directions at home then once I'm on the road I'll just use what I use for traffic in my car (but knowing that if it re-routes me I have to check that out before proceeding off my Good Sam route). I don't need to know about campgrounds, accessible gas stations, etc. since I'm not one to "wing it" without having a concrete plan (at least not until I retire) and I can always turn around easily and can fit into most gas station pump areas.

I was reading what everyone uses, etc. and got all hung up that I "NEEDED" something but then I remember all those years I drove my other MHs by myself with my kids all over and down South and never had any technology and I survived so I came back to reality and realized my plan will work fine without spending any money.

Getting really excited. Need to get away after all this Covid crap - it's been a nightmare in my area and I was a germaphobe before this happened so it hasn't been easy for me and it's been harder for those that live with me LOL.
Take care, Beth

Old 02-15-2021, 09:01 PM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
As someone who slent thousands on every county and City Thomas Guide, I'm going to say you might be a bit misguided.

I have seen accidents an exit in front of me, quickly got off the road and found alternates down narrow country lanes, beautiful places, quaintness indescribable, or I could wait for them to clear a path to the burning semi truck.

You don't have to use it.
Just don't be caught without it.

Sygic truck is mine of choice.
I own maybe 8 map prgrams and apps.
Waze running in the background guff and din can save your tail more than you know.

Mine gives me alerts to antique stores and museums.

Dedicated gps units are the dial phone of yesterday.
As luddite as flip phones.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:14 PM   #3
BC1

THOR #20090
I use Waze all the time in my car. I have a love hate relationship with it LOL. I can always just go with the Waze alternate recommendation if there is a major problem and be cautious of the unknown, knowing I can always easily turn around. I'll always know where the tunnels are and just have to watch out for low clearance - this is one of the reasons I love my small(er) sized RV and I love not towing anything. You'd have to pay me a lot of money before I would ever tow anything with a MH. Had a couple of TTs and would never do that again either. It's just too stressful for me at this point in my life. I want as easy as possible and the less technology the better. I sound like my mother now but it's all just too much - everywhere every minute of the day. I really just don't need it (other than my phone and laptop, of course).
Old 02-15-2021, 09:30 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
I use Waze all the time in my car. I have a love hate relationship with it LOL. I can always just go with the Waze alternate recommendation if there is a major problem and be cautious of the unknown, knowing I can always easily turn around. I'll always know where the tunnels are and just have to watch out for low clearance - this is one of the reasons I love my small(er) sized RV and I love not towing anything. You'd have to pay me a lot of money before I would ever tow anything with a MH. Had a couple of TTs and would never do that again either. It's just too stressful for me at this point in my life. I want as easy as possible and the less technology the better. I sound like my mother now but it's all just too much - everywhere every minute of the day. I really just don't need it (other than my phone and laptop, of course).
Good for you.

I just use google maps which is free and I typically review the route beforehand on a computer so that I'm familiar with it to minimize surprises (even though there are always some).

Also keep in mind that towing a car behind an RV is a lot different from towing a trailer. For one thing the RV is much heavier than the car so the dynamics are a bit different. You hear the saying that "you forget its back there"--there is some truth in that it isn't nearly as stressfull towing a car behind a motorhome as it is a TT or 5th wheel (unless we're towing my wife's car and she keeps reminding me that its her car and if anything happens to it....)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 09:42 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Hi Beth!
"Each time their own notion.", said the old woman; as she kissed the cow.
Nobody in here can tell you what you have to buy. We can only say what works for us.
Having said that: you need to be EXTRA careful about low overpasses, and low branches.
Be aware of your height, and good luck!
P.S. I also use Google maps to get an idea of my route...
Old 02-15-2021, 10:24 PM   #6
BC1

THOR #20090
and I'll add that my RV height is written in big red numbers and taped to the upper part of my window because when I'm in a panic I forget things.

Funny clearance story - Driving this MH home from it's former owner last Aug I had a computer printout of my plates taped on the MH (which I printed from DMV site because it was going on 3 weeks and still not arrived) because I didn't want to go through the e-reader tolls on the Thruway with "fake" plates, I took a backroad. There was a weird round overpass and it said something like a few inches less than my rv height. I was stopped in front of it and even though I had just picked up the rv a few minutes ago, I knew there was NO WAY it was that low even on the lower sides of it. I didn't even get out to check because I knew it was wrong - but then my brain says - why would they have the height so far off? I inched forward and realized it was definitely wrong. I cleared it by a few feet - it was only one through at a time and I figured if the guy waiting in the truck on the other side of me saw I was going to hit it he would have flashed his lights or something. That was really really weird.
Old 02-15-2021, 11:36 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I'm glad that incident worked out okay.
But it makes you wonder how many overpasses are lower than their marked height?
Old 02-16-2021, 01:18 AM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Never had a clearance issue all the years we had a class C. Since we got the class A I have been keenly aware that we are almost 2 feet taller than the old rig. Having an app that helps with low bridge clearance IMHO is cheap piece of mind.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:27 AM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. I use the Gamin (RV Program) since I program my motor home's height plus I also program no tolls. It also gives me advanced notice on fuel stations, R V Campgrounds and food stops. I use it as a guide and still look for some of those out of the way family stops.

Paul
Old 02-16-2021, 02:10 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Another user of the goggles, although they have really sucked at times. My daughter asked me to help her pick up a piece of furniture she bought off of Facebook. Didn't know that part of town, but the googles supposedly does. Any way, google wanted us to park on one side of a city park and then walk to the house on the other side. Besides google, I use a spiral bound road atlas I bought off of Amazon. I also have the next exit book for advanced planning and use rvparky app and one the wife likes, can't remember the name, while under way.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:36 AM   #11

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Have a Garmin in the RV, plus the RV has a built in GPS in the dash, but I find we use the atlas more than the GPS.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #12

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
I usually run two GPS apps one being the dash Rand McNally which displays

All the info regarding specific info you entered regarding your RV

Also

Mile Markers

Turn lanes well in advance

Construction if updated

Real time accidents and lane closures

With 43 foot long and typically towing my F150 getting in the proper lane is a good thing Head of time

Driving secondary roads the POI are always handy and alternative routes or exits can save aggravating moments and money

It is a tool and I do have a large atlas for an overview
Old 02-16-2021, 12:19 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Oh yeah iExit is a really handy app to run while driving.

We'll keep it running on a tablet and use it to find gas stations and other items along the route.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 01:58 PM   #14

Model: A.C.E 27.2
State: Louisiana
THOR #17883
I'm an avid user of Waze in my pickup or on my bike. Occasionally I use Google Maps. Every once in a blue moon, I'll use my pickup's navigation system.
Waze can get you of a traffic jam, road closure, etc.

I assume that if you carefully plan your route and stick to it that you will do OK without a GPS or App.
Me, I might detour at a moments notice just because I saw or though of something else I wanted to do.

I bought a Garmin RV GPS that I can plug in my weight, length, height and toad.
I used Waze for my RV travel for a while. You can't tweak Waze for a motorhome. It assumes you are driving a car or pickup.
After Waze took me in on the wrong route to Devils Den state park in AR. I never used it again for my RV travel.

Waze took me into Devils Den on a route that was limited to 20' if I remember correctly. I was towing a car hauler behind my motorhome. If there were any signs, I missed them.
The switchback road I was on was so sharp in many curves that I was taking up the whole road and shoulders.

My RV GPS would not have allowed that route.

If you ever get jammed up one time, you might change your mind about a GPS system that can be configured for your RV.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:33 PM   #15

Model: freedom elite 24he
State: Alabama
THOR #21327
Waze is programmed by people who do not drive cars.
Old 02-19-2021, 04:27 AM   #16

Brand: Keystone
Model: Cougar 22RBS
State: South Carolina
THOR #22235
I am belt and suspenders as we don't usually go to the same place twice. Two Garmins, spiral large print atlas, waze and iExit. Usually do not print out directions unless they have some special insight that is local knowledge.

2018 Ram 1500, 2020 Cougar 22RBS
Two of us, two Jacks and a desire to roam!
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 04:33 AM   #17

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Post 111 in my signature app.
Many running at the same time.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/sh...&postcount=111
And

Maps
Truckmaps
Sygic
As constants.

Five 10 inch monitors and three phones, echo and google assistant
All within reach, eyesight, or voice.
Myfi, web-boost, tpms, torque.
Dash Cam.
360 camera is being tested.
I've invented an overhead obstruction distance chingadera.

We know where we go.

My off-road expedition has about the same setup except it runs usgs maps from about 1921 to recent, private land vs state and fed land boundaries, instead of exit and stuff like that. It has flir on a monitor at night(coming soon to the rv)

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #18

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I have a Garmin 770RV atop my dash. It’s always there and has proven to be very useful. I use my phone in my car but have come to depend on this one time investment in old technology. Just because it’s “old” doesn’t mean it’s ready for the bin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2378.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	28627  
Old 02-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #19

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I have a Garmin 770RV atop my dash. It’s always there and has proven to be very useful. I use my phone in my car but have come to depend on this one time investment in old technology. Just because it’s “old” doesn’t mean it’s ready for the bin.
I use Google maps and go over the route before any trips. Still want to buy a Garmin 770 or something similar just haven't gotten around to do it

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:43 PM   #20
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I use Google maps and go over the route before any trips. Still want to buy a Garmin 770 or something similar just haven't gotten around to do it
Jerry
It sounds as if you need to get "around to it"...

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1613756573
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	il_1140xN.1100845474_7tht.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	28631  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote