Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2016, 12:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #3436
ft lauderdale cruise port

has anyone found a place to park a motorhome while they take a cruise out of ft lauderdale.
we found a motel in tampa that allows you to leave your vehicle in their parking lot if you spend a night at that motel. they also provide free round trip shuttle to cruise port. now we need same thing in ft lauderdale.

Old 02-06-2016, 01:25 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
I inquired a couple of years ago at the Park-N-Go just outside of the Ft. Lauderdale cruise port (Port Everglades). They said they could accommodate my Class C if I called ahead a couple of weeks to reserve the spot.

https://www.bookparkngo.com/

Not sure if they still to that or not, or what restrictions they have on size. They really pack the cars into the lot though.

They are on Eller drive, and can be a bit tricky to get to if you are not familiar with the area. We have used them several times with our car, but never with our motorhome.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #3436
the park go no longer allows motorhomes. they added covered parking area and pack cars in to maximize their profits.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:28 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Well so much for that.

The port itself might accommodate you, but you would have to call them. They might be able to park your motorhome on-site, but not in a normal parking area. They can probably shuttle you to your cruise terminal if they can do it (they often shuttle people from alternate parking areas when the closest ones are full). But i'd expect it to be fairly expensive.

The only other option I can think of is using a service like Cruise Connection. They have commercial buses that pick up cruisers from the outlying cities (Tampa, Orlando, Daytona, and several other cities), then transport you to Port Everglades cruise port in Lauderdale.

Ft. Lauderdale & Miami | Cruise Connection by ESCOT Bus Lines

To use this service, you would have to find a storage lot for your RV that is near the pickup/drop-off location (usually a McDonalds or similar resturant). And the fare to the cruise port is not cheap - $100 or so per person.

One idea might be that you might find a RV park in one of these cities to stay for say a month or so that will allow you to either leave it there in storage or rent a spot for the duration of the cruise. Afterall, that is why you are taking your RV right? Then you would have to find local transportation to the pick up point; taxi, etc.

It's doable, but would take some planning.
Old 02-06-2016, 02:07 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Well so much for that.

The port itself might accommodate you, but you would have to call them. They might be able to park your motorhome on-site, but not in a normal parking area. They can probably shuttle you to your cruise terminal if they can do it (they often shuttle people from alternate parking areas when the closest ones are full). But i'd expect it to be fairly expensive.

The only other option I can think of is using a service like Cruise Connection. They have commercial buses that pick up cruisers from the outlying cities (Tampa, Orlando, Daytona, and several other cities), then transport you to Port Everglades cruise port in Lauderdale.

Ft. Lauderdale & Miami | Cruise Connection by ESCOT Bus Lines

To use this service, you would have to find a storage lot for your RV that is near the pickup/drop-off location (usually a McDonalds or similar resturant). And the fare to the cruise port is not cheap - $100 or so per person.

One idea might be that you might find a RV park in one of these cities to stay for say a month or so that will allow you to either leave it there in storage or rent a spot for the duration of the cruise. Afterall, that is why you are taking your RV right? Then you would have to find local transportation to the pick up point; taxi, etc.

It's doable, but would take some planning.
I believe that there is small RV parking available at the Fort Lauderdale Airport which is very near the port. I believe they have oversize vehicle parking not in the garage, but I don't know how big they will take. Some cruise lines have busses from there, but it is probably cheaper and easier to take a taxi to and from the airport.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:46 AM   #6
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcshr5@yahoo.com View Post
has anyone found a place to park a motorhome while they take a cruise out of ft lauderdale.
we found a motel in tampa that allows you to leave your vehicle in their parking lot if you spend a night at that motel. they also provide free round trip shuttle to cruise port. now we need same thing in ft lauderdale.
I realize you posted your question in February...however, .. when we went to Seattle, before taking an Alaskan Cruise out of Vancouver...the RV Park we stayed at, allowed us to park our RV in a holding area, for a reduced rate for the length of the cruise. We had shore power while in the holding area, which is important, in order that your refrig. can run while you are gone.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, ft lauderdale, parking