Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #41

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
One Month Report...
I've made through 5 states: California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and now I am in Montana. All in all it has been a fun trip. I probably started too early. I should have gone south first. I'm currently at the west gate of Glacier National Park. After this is Yellowstone and Craters of the Moon. The picture is from the RV Park. Those are the Rockies!
Don't come through Colorado yet. I'm near Glenwood Springs, CO on the western slope of the Rockies. We just had a couple of feet of new snow yesterday above 8000 feet. Probably one of the latest spring snows in history for this area. It was 35 and snowing in Battlement Mesa on the golf course today. So yeah, south is better for another week or so.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:43 AM   #42

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #2271
I saw my first Vegas/Axis today abut 1:30PM MDT on the road between Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons. I spent the evening at the Jackson Lake Lodge looking at the Tetons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1820.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	4989  
Old 05-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #43
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
I saw my first Vegas/Axis today abut 1:30PM MDT on the road between Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons. I spent the evening at the Jackson Lake Lodge looking at the Tetons.
that is beautiful country ... many years ago we did a 4000 mile motorcycle trip...from Jackson Hole we went south and found a beautiful campground and cabins on a river...near the mountains...have some great shots of the area.

We continued south to Flaming Gorge and into Vernal, Utah then back east.
East of Vernal is the Dinosaur Museum and Dig ...
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 03:02 PM   #44

THOR #2271
If you do anything in your life, take your rig and family to the Grand Tetons. I am simple awestruck!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1822.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	5004  
Old 05-24-2017, 01:43 AM   #45

THOR #2271
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrV View Post
Took our grands to Idaho last summer to see Craters of the Moon National Monument. It is an absolutely amazing place, and once out there (really out there) you will feel that you are out of this world. Literally. We also stopped at the Atomic City reactor museum. We all are kinda science and history nerdy and liked that too. There were two nesting pairs of horned owls out back of the parking lot last year. We stayed in Arco at a campground on the road to Craters of the Moon. The campground was clean, well run, and had a restaurant on the grounds with the best smoked potatoes and ribs we have ever had. We did not stay at Craters of the Moon National Monument campground because at the time it had no facilities at all, and was scheduled to close and undergo total refurbishment the week after we were there.
Have fun and drive safe.
ArrV,
I stayed at the KOA in Arco. Nice people, full hookups (incl cable). They serve waffles in the morning. Yum! There is an eatery called "Pickles" down the block. Ever tried a deep fried pickle and an Atomnic Burger? I went to Craters of the Moon and loved it. Serene beauty. The best lava flows outside of Hawaii. Unmfortunately the Atomic Museum doesn't open until after Memorial Day. So tomorrow I'm going to Twin Falls for the week.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:04 AM   #46

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
So glad you liked Craters of the Moon. From there we went down to Delta, Utah and did fossil hunting and mining for Topaz. Got lots of both. Was a great experience.
Old 06-02-2017, 09:03 PM   #47

THOR #1067
Quote:
I've made it to Portland where I have family and friends.

The first stop was in the town of Cave Junction. It is near the Oregon Caves. Unfortunately, I showed up on a Wednesday, when they are closed.

From there I met another forum member in Eugene. We went out to the famous Lowell Covered Bridge to watch a rowing regatta.

During my so far short journey two issues have appeared. The connection to the trap below the shower cracked and finally broke. Every time I took a shower, there was a flood. In Cave Junction, I bought some silicon plumbing repair tape and with the use of duct tape temporarilly fixed it.

The other issue was the (four letter explative deleted) Seiki TV without a QAM tuner. I had bought an external tuner box that worked once. But yesterday I broke down and went to Best Buy and purchased a Samsung TV and a new mount.

For both of these issues, I hired a mobile RV repair guy. He took apart the shower trap yeasterday and will return later today to fix it and also install the new TV. And since I am here for the week, I also hired someone to detail the outside and put a new polymer finish on the rig.

One of the interesting thing about full-timing is the simple chores that need to be maintained. I'm off to Lenscrafters for my annual exam and maybe new glasses.

Cheer all!

I'm interested to know how you feel now about full timing in 25 ft so far. Seems like a tight spot course what do we do in a home? We sit or we don't. Do you have a bail out plan if it doesn't work for you? Dave
Old 06-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #48

THOR #2271
Hi Dave,
It's been almost 2 months on the road and 3 months living in my RV. The major change that I made was buying the DISH Trailblazer satellite. I have to admit that I am a TV junky.

BUT, to answer your question, I am still happy in my Thor Vegas. I have given in to the idea that I have to spend a half day every two weeks fixing something. After all, it is a fibeglass shell bouncing down the road. Mostly window valence screws keep on popping out. The trim under the bathroom sink just came loose again. I tried some velcro. Next time I will simply screw it in. The flding table at the door is getting loose. The external cable connection no longer works and I simply run the cable through the front window. These are just minor annoyences.

I am currently in Helper, UT. It is half way between Salt Lake City and Moab. There is a little visited area called Nine Mile Canyon. There are petragliphs all up and down the canyon. Monday I go to Moab.

I would say that the 25' Vegas is great for one person or two good friends. Love has nothing to do with it. Two people living in this small space better like each other.

I have no backup plan. Just going where I please and when I please. A vagabond again. [In 1968 I drove a VW Bus from Uppsala Sweden to Katmandu, Nepal (and back)].
Old 06-03-2017, 12:25 AM   #49

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Georgia
THOR #5927
Enjoy Moab

Quote:
I am currently in Helper, UT. It is half way between Salt Lake City and Moab. There is a little visited area called Nine Mile Canyon. There are petragliphs all up and down the canyon. Monday I go to Moab.
There is certainly a lot to see around Moab. We have a second house out in Castle Valley (about 25 miles from Moab). It is beginning to get warm out here, but we've had a mild and dry spring. It is still comfortable (for now--in the summer it is not unusual for us to get over 100!). We are about to get our Axis ready for the return trip to Atlanta.

Enjoy your visit to Moab. If you have any questions, or want any pointers, ask away--I'd be happy to provide a part-timer's experience!
Old 06-03-2017, 01:03 AM   #50

THOR #1067
Quote:
Hi Dave,
It's been almost 2 months on the road and 3 months living in my RV. The major change that I made was buying the DISH Trailblazer satellite. I have to admit that I am a TV junky.

BUT, to answer your question, I am still happy in my Thor Vegas. I have given in to the idea that I have to spend a half day every two weeks fixing something. After all, it is a fibeglass shell bouncing down the road. Mostly window valence screws keep on popping out. The trim under the bathroom sink just came loose again. I tried some velcro. Next time I will simply screw it in. The flding table at the door is getting loose. The external cable connection no longer works and I simply run the cable through the front window. These are just minor annoyences.

I would say that the 25' Vegas is great for one person or two good friends. Love has nothing to do with it. Two people living in this small space better like each other.

I have no backup plan. Just going where I please and when I please. A vagabond again. [In 1968 I drove a VW Bus from Uppsala Sweden to Katmandu, Nepal (and back)].

Thanks for the update. Getting out of my current house and into a motorhome full time is all i think about anymore. I just can't pull the trigger. I follow you and others to try and give me courage, but in the end it hasn't worked. lol. I worry about losing touch with so called friends, and local places i know about. I have to ties where i live but just worry it might be isolating as no one knows you where you are every day. I'm not sure i'm the vagabond type i guess. familiar surroundings are hard to fight.
Old 06-03-2017, 04:25 AM   #51

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Some of our best friends are folks we've met while traveling, those we had before retiring we rarely hear from anymore. I haven't regretted one second of our decision to take on the vagabond/gypsy lifestyle & highly recommend it, but it's not for everyone, we've met some that didn't make it a year as one or the other of them had to have a home & a rv was not a home.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:37 PM   #52

THOR #2271
Two Month Report: I've been on the road for 2 months now. I've made it to Grand Junction CO. I'm going to stay here a week and get some stuff done. Monday the rig goes in for oil/lube service. The road has been good to me. I've gotten snowed on in Yellowstone and had 100ºF at 7PM in Moab.

I'm still looking for a place to call home. Coeur d'Alene, ID was nice. So was Kalispell,MT.

The RV is my tiny home.

Please keep the suggestions coming.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:51 PM   #53

THOR #1067
Quote:
Two Month Report: I've been on the road for 2 months now. I've made it to Grand Junction CO. I'm going to stay here a week and get some stuff done. Monday the rig goes in for oil/lube service. The road has been good to me. I've gotten snowed on in Yellowstone and had 100ºF at 7PM in Moab.

I'm still looking for a place to call home. Coeur d'Alene, ID was nice. So was Kalispell,MT.

The RV is my tiny home.

I just live 40 miles east of Grand Junction in a place called Battlement Mesa. You wouldn't want to live here, but i'd sure like to know when you find the perfect place in your travels. How is living full time in 25 ft? Has the cost of being on the road exceeded a permanent place yet? Too bad it's not July because the best sweet corn in the world comes out of Olathe just south of Grand Junction. If you need suggestions for anything in Grand Junction please ask.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:29 PM   #54

THOR #1067
Quote:

The RV is my tiny home.

\\
Gerry, I will be at The Livery on Sunday for a beer and i'd love to see your rig. Dave Clutter, Battlement Mesa. work during the week, but do hit the LIvery;
Old 06-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #55
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
I just live 40 miles east of Grand Junction in a place called Battlement Mesa. You wouldn't want to live here, but i'd sure like to know when you find the perfect place in your travels. How is living full time in 25 ft? Has the cost of being on the road exceeded a permanent place yet? Too bad it's not July because the best sweet corn in the world comes out of Olathe just south of Grand Junction. If you need suggestions for anything in Grand Junction please ask.
RE; BEST SWEET CORN ... must be in the name ... Olathe, KS has the best yellow/white corn on the planet !!
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:02 AM   #56

THOR #2271
OK the bets are on for the best sweet corn.
I have been in Grand Junction for almost a week. One of the reasons I stopped here was for the old change tune-up. I found a great place called PDF Automotive. They are Ford Truck certified and do good work for a good price.

Hats off to TeeItUp for showing me Paliisade, CO.

I've seen Colorado Monument National Park and the Grand Mesa National Forest. Tomorrow I'll visit the Gateway Auto Museum.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1888.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	5287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1899.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	275.8 KB
ID:	5288  

Old 06-16-2017, 01:31 AM   #57

THOR #1067
Quote:
OK the bets are on for the best sweet corn.
I have been in Grand Junction for almost a week. One of the reasons I stopped here was for the old change tune-up. I found a great place called PDF Automotive. They are Ford Truck certified and do good work for a good price.

Hats off to TeeItUp for showing me Paliisade, CO.

I've seen Colorado Monument National Park and the Grand Mesa National Forest. Tomorrow I'll visit the Gateway Auto Museum.
Hey Gerry , thanks for the mention. You're probably gone by now from the area, but thought i would tell you, the Trough over in Gunnison is still open. The closed sign was just for the day sort of thing. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the stay here in Western Colorado. I've decided that if i can find a 2 year old Axis in the mid 50's that's been taken care of i will pull the trigger and "unplug" as you say. It's a big step for an old guy with little or no mechanical ability. I do want the 450 chassis. Like you say, if i don't like it after a while, i can just sell it and go back to a stick house. I hope you'll keep posting here so i can follow your exploits. Dave
Old 06-18-2017, 11:40 PM   #58

THOR #2271
I was in a spot called Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and ran into my first 24.1 Vegas at a pull out. The gentleman's name is Julio and he and his wife are traveling west from Florida. Nice Folks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1935.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	5338  
Old 06-24-2017, 11:20 PM   #59

THOR #2271
Spent time at the Royal Gorge. Here is the photo of white water rafting. I also took the train through the gorge and walked across the suspension bridge.

Today was RV Maintenance day. 1) Filled some vibrating loose screws with wood glue. 2) Found a sponge holder for the sink (Yay). 3) Fixed the bathroom light. One of the O-rings had deteriorated. Found a replacement in the sink area of Home Despot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	396b07db-90db-4c39-9e82-821057e19168_7262994d-77b5-4a15-8afa-9b1c58ac7741_o.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	5436  
Old 06-24-2017, 11:48 PM   #60

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Spent time at the Royal Gorge. Here is the photo of white water rafting. I also took the train through the gorge and walked across the suspension bridge.

Today was RV Maintenance day. 1) Filled some vibrating loose screws with wood glue. 2) Found a sponge holder for the sink (Yay). 3) Fixed the bathroom light. One of the O-rings had deteriorated. Found a replacement in the sink area of Home Despot.

Could you share some of the areas and/or campgrounds you have stayed in and either enjoyed (or not)

We are getting ready to take our first extended RV trip through Colorado and trying to get a handle on where we can stay. Previous trips have been tent camping, so this will be a change for us.