Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 03:33 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: California
THOR #24260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
We will not go anywhere near California this year!

https://nypost.com/2022/06/04/gas-ne...gn=android_nyp
Darn, i was hoping to me you both.
Terry

Semper Fi
Old 06-06-2022, 04:13 PM   #22

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
$3.99 in GA

What's wrong with Georgia?

Not a darned thing except I prefer to have my kids in the same town where I can see them!
Going to the beach 😎
Old 06-06-2022, 04:28 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
On national news last night they showed a gas station on West Coast with gas just barely under $10. I think it was a small town with captive audience.

That’s taking advantage in my opinion.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #24

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
On national news last night they showed a gas station on West Coast with gas just barely under $10. I think it was a small town with captive audience.

That’s crazy and sucks. Crazy that people can live with themselves for charging like that. I am sure that station has to pay more to get the fuel. But it can’t be that much more to justify being 3 dollars or more expensive.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:42 PM   #25

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post

Advantage is taken where Advantage is given.
And
A solo tanker truck headed that direction just to fill that (potentially) solo station costs more than the trip is worth.

A smart delivery company should maybe cut them off at any cost.

I consider how it might be a charitable act that there is even fuel available in some jerk water places. Pumping a lousy 300 gallons a day might mean they need to make $2 net net a gallon to break even.

Signed,
My spousal unit went through Lukachukai(a town on the Reservation) yesterday and stopped at the Speedway gas station, for snacks, not gas.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 06-06-2022, 05:21 PM   #26

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Washington View Post
That’s crazy and sucks. Crazy that people can live with themselves for charging like that. I am sure that station has to pay more to get the fuel. But it can’t be that much more to justify being 3 dollars or more expensive.

Went back and looked and it was in California — no surprise there.

Agree it shouldn’t add an extra $3 per gallon to haul a 6,000-gallon tanker less than 500~1,000 miles compared to larger cities. Not even if crossing mountains in California. I feel bad for some of the problems they have there, but so many are self inflicted wounds.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0664510-D756-4CB2-A5D9-6FDAFBB42EF5.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	37945  
Old 06-06-2022, 05:33 PM   #27

THOR #13932
It's not just tanker cost.
There is the cost of running the small business.
2 dozen Slurpee and a dozen lotto sales isn't going to float them.
$50 an hour to keep two employees there.
$800 in wages if not open full time, $1,200(plus a floater) if they are open 24 hours, fixed expenses, saving for epa required tank swap out, dozens of other things like saving for paving, window washer sticks... So much....

$1500 to $3,000 a day expenses while pumping 300 gallons(insert your number here) of fuel....

It's probably not about me and my distaste for the price. I'd imagine It's about survival so the store is there next year.
I don't think there is a special place they buy the outdated sodas they often have on the shelf. They've been sitting there because they haven't sold twenty four 7ups in the last year.
Small town, small volume. small volume requires big mark up.
Alwyas has. Always will. Since caveman days.

If we didn't complain when gas was $3 at los angeles discount gas places and this little store was $6...why do we spotlight them now?
I'll take a guess that 40% of rv owners on this forum has been through Needles California. Always has been, for at least 30 years a $2.50 to $3.00 gas bump.

You pointed, astounded, and kept on driving.

Old 06-06-2022, 05:56 PM   #28

THOR #2121
One reason I normally buy gas where there are multiple gas stations to promote competition. Also why I like large fuel tanks with long driving range so I can skip stations with higher prices. I rarely fill up with less than 100 miles left, so can go on to next station if needed. During long trip in April, I drove pass one station thinking I could do better later, but it backfired. Next stop was only tank above $4.00. Granted, I could search prices in advance online, but differences are not that important to me yet.
Old 06-06-2022, 06:18 PM   #29

THOR #13932
We'll stop for Chesters Chicken and not get gas.
We don't get below 1/3rd tank before looking, and never below 1/4 before buying.
I built a bin in the bottom of the 24.1 that will hold an additional 50 gallon bladder.
I'll never use the bladder. We dick-around and stop and take business routes too often to need the reserve. Where we goof around in just about every burg we come to there's usually fuel handy.
I'd happily pay the $10 per gallon, being Damn glad It's there, if I screw up and need gas in that small town. No one says you have to fill up....

Consider that $10per gallon station to be a defibrillation instead of a source of outrage.
(Happy happy affirmations from a pessimist because it's not about me)

There's a punchline from an old joke:
'Hell boy! The gas we don't have sells for a dollar a gallon LESS than the gas that other station doesn't have!.'

Old 06-06-2022, 06:44 PM   #30

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I just came through Las Vegas Nevada and paid under $6.00 per gallon for premium at a Shell station for my 2010 Camaro SS. It was very close to what I am paying in Southern California.

Paul
Old 06-06-2022, 07:01 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
Cost of fuel is the primary driver on the aggregate effect of you're lifestyle as you have been accustomed to

Simply paying more at the pump is a tiny impact compared to the larger effect on food, housing, electricity, water, security and anything you purchase

We are all living with the impact of the lock down and the mental and drug issues not to forget the learn at home failure

What is the impact of government induced inflation driving poverty rates going to lead to?

Obviously higher taxes and severe reduction in lifestyle

What effect will that have on the lower income population?

High priced energy is the tip of the iceberg and even more so when you have a ship without a Captain and a rudder
I feel like this is all going according to the green plan. Get most of us regular folks confined to urban and suburban areas where electric vehicles meet the needs of the commuter. This also drives most of us into lower socio-economic groups and denies us the freedom of mobility that we now have. To enjoy the great outdoors we will have to watch PBS documentaries. It opens up the spaces we now occupy and vist for the elites and generationally wealthy. Pretty soon, North America will resemble something from fiddler on the roof.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:04 AM   #32
MLP

THOR #17478
Just saw the TV report with an LA gas station today posted $8.99 for regular and $9.99 for Diesel. I thought things were bad in northern CA! $6.86/Gal for diesel today.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:14 AM   #33

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Just jumped from $4.90 to $5.10 here... first time ever over 5. Used to be nickel jumps, but now 20 cents at a time. I used to be a doubter... but I now think $10 gasoline nationwide may just become a reality. Note to self: gasoline in Russia is still relatively cheap. So is wheat...
Old 06-07-2022, 05:08 AM   #34

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
NM jumped 60 cents per gallon

Anyone considering a Tesla?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Old 06-07-2022, 12:54 PM   #35

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubawise View Post
nm jumped 60 cents per gallon

anyone considering a tesla?
hell no!!!!
Replacement undetermined
Old 06-07-2022, 01:06 PM   #36

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
No on the electric car. The technology is still not there yet plus the disposal of an electric car is hazardous to say the least.

Paul
Old 06-07-2022, 01:33 PM   #37

THOR #2121
Considering walking and riding a bike more. It’s cheaper and greener than any Tesla, and may be good for my health.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:47 PM   #38

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin' Texans View Post
hell no!!!!
Some of the key benefits of owning a Tesla include saving money on gas, spending less time at the mechanic, exceptional road safety, and a stress-free driving experience. It's no secret: the future of cars is electric, and Tesla's fleet of sleek, speedy, and cost-efficient cars is leading the charge.Apr 27, 2022
Old 06-07-2022, 02:13 PM   #39

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Some of the key benefits of owning a Tesla include saving money on gas, spending less time at the mechanic, exceptional road safety, and a stress-free driving experience. It's no secret: the future of cars is electric, and Tesla's fleet of sleek, speedy, and cost-efficient cars is leading the charge.Apr 27, 2022

You drank the "kool-Aid". 67% of electricity in this country is derived from burning fossil fuels...that really makes sense, huh? Power producing reservoirs are drying up and they are "scheduling" rolling blackouts as there is not enough electricity being generated to support the current demand. When solar reaches the ability to produce the demand and the charging infrastructure is ready, electric everything makes sense. By that time a car might go farther than 300 miles before it needs charging for a few hours. Fossil fuel generated electricity isn't "green". Kinda like Ethanol...you have to burn fossil fuel to make it from corn...like washing your hands with motor oil. Thank God for the dinosaurs. Powering our homes is one thing...powering our mobility is another. Crippling our economy for political agenda will not work...time will prove that...very soon.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 06-07-2022, 03:36 PM   #40

THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
You drank the "kool-Aid". 67% of electricity in this country is derived from burning fossil fuels...that really makes sense, huh? Power producing reservoirs are drying up and they are "scheduling" rolling blackouts as there is not enough electricity being generated to support the current demand. When solar reaches the ability to produce the demand and the charging infrastructure is ready, electric everything makes sense. By that time a car might go farther than 300 miles before it needs charging for a few hours. Fossil fuel generated electricity isn't "green". Kinda like Ethanol...you have to burn fossil fuel to make it from corn...like washing your hands with motor oil. Thank God for the dinosaurs. Powering our homes is one thing...powering our mobility is another. Crippling our economy for political agenda will not work...time will prove that...very soon.

More to the point, actually drinking even unadulterated Kool-Aid, now marketed disproportionately toward minorities in our health-conscious era, still isn't very good for you. “Long-term consumption may increase the risk of obesity, diabetes, and even cancer,” says Isitbadforyou.com