Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 08:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Going to CA gas $10 a gallon

We will not go anywhere near California this year!

https://nypost.com/2022/06/04/gas-ne...gn=android_nyp

Old 06-04-2022, 08:45 PM   #2
Mag

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
If CA is Canada, it’s not $10.00/gal,(yet) I’ts only about $8.15/gal CAD and you’ll get a break with the US exchange. Totally a rip off no matter how you look at it.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:46 PM   #3
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
One town is not a trend.
Old 06-04-2022, 09:10 PM   #4

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
$5.79 at costco by me
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
Old 06-04-2022, 09:14 PM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
Gas in California

Gas here in the central valley is $7.99 per gallon and I have heard it will be$10 by the end of summer. There are a lot of Teslas and other electric cars up and down the state highways and I think we are all being "encouraged " to go electric. It will soon cost over $400 to fill the motorhome tank and our favorite RV parks are now $85 to $100 per night. Our favorite coastal restaurants have increased prices by about 25% so we eat out less. Also, the cost for deep sea fishing and other attractions has increased significantly. Not complaining, just stating the current facts.

That said, it's going to cost more and we're still going to the central coast monthly. We worked hard for too many years, saved our money, saved some more during the pandemic because we couldn't go anywhere so we're spending it now. Sorry kids, we're spending your inheritance! We are usually quite frugal and continue to be for the most part, but we plan to continue enjoying our motorhome for as long as we are healthy and feel fortunate that we are able to.
Going to the beach 😎
Old 06-04-2022, 09:37 PM   #6

Model: Miramar
THOR #22927
Costco $5.75
Old 06-04-2022, 09:42 PM   #7

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
THOR #13362
Most Costco/Sams throughout SoCal are still under $6.
I’m seeing $5.69 - 5.84 for regular (Calif “Special Blend”).

Heck…Phoenix-AZ isn’t far behind at $5.19 and up.

Oops!
While I was typing, I see two Costco’s near me have gone up to $5.89 & 5.94

So $6 will be tomorrow’s price.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:10 PM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Regular gas in PA is now toping $5/gallon and diesel is over $6. In FL diesel can still be had under $5.... but barely ad regular in the high $4's.

Based on reports of diesel being in short supply, especially in the northeast, I suspect diesel will be well over $6 this summer in most parts of the country.... except California where it will be $7 - $8 in most places.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:15 PM   #9

State: Washington
THOR #6433
So glad we did our Disneyworld trip last year, would had been brutal driving from Washington to Florida.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:27 PM   #10

Model: 2021 Chateau 28A
State: North Carolina
THOR #23131
Its a "NY POST" article, I mean story
Old 06-04-2022, 11:51 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
$3.99 in GA
Old 06-05-2022, 12:08 AM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
3.99 in Georgia!!

SHhhhhh! Don't tell my son in law! He's from Georgia and I don't want him relocating my daughter!!
Going to the beach 😎
Old 06-05-2022, 12:49 AM   #13

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
The rolling blackouts should make charging stations a happy place to be this summer.

It's kinda hard to truck in a tanker of electricity.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
Old 06-05-2022, 01:18 AM   #14

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer3 View Post
Gas here in the central valley is $7.99 per gallon and I have heard it will be$10 by the end of summer. There are a lot of Teslas and other electric cars up and down the state highways and I think we are all being "encouraged " to go electric. It will soon cost over $400 to fill the motorhome tank and our favorite RV parks are now $85 to $100 per night. Our favorite coastal restaurants have increased prices by about 25% so we eat out less. Also, the cost for deep sea fishing and other attractions has increased significantly. Not complaining, just stating the current facts.

That said, it's going to cost more and we're still going to the central coast monthly. We worked hard for too many years, saved our money, saved some more during the pandemic because we couldn't go anywhere so we're spending it now. Sorry kids, we're spending your inheritance! We are usually quite frugal and continue to be for the most part, but we plan to continue enjoying our motorhome for as long as we are healthy and feel fortunate that we are able to.

I couldn't have said it better. We will continue on but be a bit cautious of the areas we will travel..California wasn't on the chart to begin with. There will be spot diesel shortages which will spike prices in some areas. My fuel budget was $100 per day...now it will be $275-300. We'll probably stay a bit closer to home until things start to turn around. I'll carry a couple extra jugs of fuel JIC. Gotta keep that genny and A/C going regardless.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
Old 06-05-2022, 02:05 AM   #15

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Wednesday I filled at $4.119 in Houston for quick trip to Dallas area. On way back Friday I filled again at $4.199. If I had slowed down some I could have made round trip on one tank, but I’m not there yet. Apparently most Texans aren’t either because there were plenty of full-size pickups and SUVs driving over 80 MPH. I stayed right at speed limit most of the time.

Surprising to me was that gas in Houston was mostly around $4.499 ~ $4.599 when I got back. That was about the fastest increase in 2 days I recall.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:06 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Last summer I was putting a hundred a day in my RV, this summer it will be at least 250 a day. That wont fill my tank, but hopefully will give me my daily limit of 250 miles. I wonder what the future will bring, cost wise, if the denegration of fossil fuels continues and more people go to electric vehicles. Most of the country's electric grid barely supports the current demand and the decrease of fuel sales will keep the prices high. The combination does not sound good to me.
Old 06-05-2022, 03:46 AM   #17

Model: Compass 23TR
State: Yukon
THOR #13409
We are on the road now. We've driven from Whitehorse, Yukon to the Oregon coast. We use diesel and are not searching for the cheapest prices. It's the kids inheritance so why bother fretting.
We've driven close to 3,000 miles (yes miles - not Km). The most we've paid for diesel - converted from liters to US gallons (not imperial gallons) and converted from Canadian dollars to US dollars at $1.27 is $7.50 US and that was in Dease Lake, British Columbia which is in the middle of nowhere.
In Washington, diesel is from $5.50 to $6.00 US per gallon. In Canada, diesel ranged from $5.20 US to the $7.50 mentioned above. Most of the time, it's around the $6.00 US.
I'm sure you can find it priced higher and lower. And I do not trust what the "experts" say it will be in the future. I have a Magic 8 Ball that can predict the future about as well.
Bottom line - the price of fuel is WAY up - probably about 50% higher than last year. But I don't care. I'm having a great trip. I earned my money and I'll enjoy it. The kids can have what's left.
Old 06-05-2022, 10:54 AM   #18

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer3 View Post
SHhhhhh! Don't tell my son in law! He's from Georgia and I don't want him relocating my daughter!!
$3.99 in GA

What's wrong with Georgia?

Old 06-05-2022, 11:48 AM   #19

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Cost of fuel is the primary driver on the aggregate effect of you're lifestyle as you have been accustomed to

Simply paying more at the pump is a tiny impact compared to the larger effect on food, housing, electricity, water, security and anything you purchase

We are all living with the impact of the lock down and the mental and drug issues not to forget the learn at home failure

What is the impact of government induced inflation driving poverty rates going to lead to?

Obviously higher taxes and severe reduction in lifestyle

What effect will that have on the lower income population?

High priced energy is the tip of the iceberg and even more so when you have a ship without a Captain and a rudder
Old 06-06-2022, 03:17 AM   #20

Model: Four Winds
THOR #24260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
The rolling blackouts should make charging stations a happy place to be this summer.

It's kinda hard to truck in a tanker of electricity.
I think I want to be the driver of tanker full of electrons, no sloshing.
Terry
Semper Fi
Closed Thread