Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2015, 05:55 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite
State: Florida
THOR #1616
Trans-Canada Highway

We are heading for Alaska via Trans-Canadian. Not a bad road. Some construction areas but we love the lanes for slower traffic to let faster traffic by. There are also frequent pullover areas to grab a bite or check out new rattles.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Sounds like fun. Are you leaving from FL? (That would be a really long trip! FL->AK!)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #3

THOR #1616
Manitoba is proving much rougher and lots of construction . Rock Garden campground in Richer, Manitoba had some hookup sites. Thank goodness we have a small motorhome. Showers very nasty. ...even had used towels in them. But it was Passport America for only $19.90. We left from Florida then left our parrot in Ohio. We went up through Niagara Falls and are heading across Canada.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:29 AM   #4

THOR #1616
We are now in Washington state near Seattle. What a trip! Dearest Hubby decided to go up the Klondike Highway and the Top of the World Highway. LET ME TELL YOU THIS: If you have anything loose it will shake off on these roads? There are hundreds of miles of loose gravel or dirt/mud roads and in some places we were driving right beside the highway equipment. The noise from the gravel hitting underneath and stuff rattling throughout the camper was deafening. The metal frame around our microwave actually cracked in two areas and we had to prop it underneath so it wouldn't jump out of the cabinet. A truly once-in-a-lifetime trip. I would never do it again.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Sounds like you had an experience.

There are some groups that sponsor RV caravans throughout Alaska and with some of the groups you have to arrive 3 days prior to departure for the installation of rock guards, radiator shields, and a worthiness inspection of your motor coach.

I always enjoy my travels to Alaska.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #6

Model: ACE 30.2
State: Ohio
THOR #1001
Wow! Crazy trip! My wife and I are new to the RVing world,and Alaska is on our bucket list. Living in Ohio,most of my computer mapping takes us up through Canada. I would love any good insight on good routes,sights ,etc. Obviuosly,want to keep our coach in good shape.I was in Homer for two years in the Coast Guard years ago. Loved it! Cant wait to go back.
Glad you guys are safe!
Interesting bit of info....for fun one night,I did a car vs RV trip to Alaska on the computer. Just going with rough figures,hotels,food,fuel,RVsites,etc.,the RV beat the car by almost $2000.00!! Like I said,it was very rough figuring,but I tried to be fair in my comparisons.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:16 PM   #7

Model: Palazzo
THOR #2248
Every year the Escapees Forum has a new thread about going to AK. We used that and other info on the forum to plan and execute our trip to AK last Summer. At the time we were full timing and had a 42 ft DP. We opted to skip the TOW highway route in, but while in Tok, AK we took the Jeep and went to Dawson Creek and the TOW highway in the Jeep. It was a lot more manageable.
Here is a link to the Alaska 2015 thread. Alaska 2015 - Travel - Escapees Discussion Forum There are other threads also anybody can explore. You do not need to be a member to join the forum.
We started from Billings MT into Calgary then turned west. The Icefield Parkway in May still had plenty of snow and ice and was beautiful. We returned via Cassier Highway to western WA.
Highly recommend the trip in an RV!