Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2022, 03:33 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Gps

After the folks got lost in Nevada by following there GPS has anyone re-thought their reliance on these devices?

Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:55 AM   #2

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
I haven't "rethought" the use of a GPS. We have and use one, but I also always travel with a printed road atlas/map and trust that first and foremost. The map trumps the GPS completely. Map reading should be an essential skill. Unfortunately it is no longer taught to our kids in school.

Funny, or not really funny, story. Years ago I was a chaperone for a youth group that was taking a trip to Toronto. As we gathered for final communication before we hit the road, everyone was asked if they wanted a map. Most of us were very ready to take and use one. One parent stuck her nose in the air and said "oh no, I have a GPS." As we neared our destination, we watched her in our rear view mirror as she drove right past our turn. After a 45 minute wait by all the rest of the group, we got a call from her, lost at the end of a road with the only option a one way street headed away from our meeting point. Enough said.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:05 AM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
After the folks got lost in Nevada by following there GPS has anyone re-thought their reliance on these devices?
A GPS is just one tool to use for navigation. Never completely rely on a single tool, too many horror stories.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:30 AM   #4

State: Washington
THOR #6433
We don’t rely on one though we use it. Normally I have all the major roads that we are taken mapped out before taking a trip in unfamiliar territory. I say that though but it’s pretty easy to get around the west coast.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:54 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Rule #1...and there's not a 2nd one. Know your prospective route before you ever turn on any GPS. Nothing beats paper maps and Google Maps for planning your route prior to departure. I road with a friend from the beach area a few years ago to pick up his kid at the airport in Charleston. I looked at maps on phone and said...just take this road and make a right on whatever street it was. He had a new pickup and plugged the airport into the 'nav system", never studying anything. We went into the downtown area, got off at an exit, continued in the same general direction for about 20 traffic lights and 30 minutes, then jumped right back on the same freeway we were on before. One hour and 15 minutes later, we made the 20 minute trip.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 03:45 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
I found the GPS in our Jeep will take you the shortest route, mileage wise, not necessarily the fastest.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:04 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
I found the GPS in our Jeep will take you the shortest route, mileage wise, not necessarily the fastest.

That should be programmable to shortest or fastest...somewhere in the vast menus. Faster will keep you on big roads...shortest will drive you by every friend you have's grandmother's house and measures it's success by number of red lights, lowest speed limits and turns.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:38 PM   #8

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
That should be programmable to shortest or fastest...somewhere in the vast menus. Faster will keep you on big roads...shortest will drive you by every friend you have's grandmother's house and measures it's success by number of red lights, lowest speed limits and turns.
Programing GPS sounds like another job for my grandson
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 02:47 AM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
I always find it amusing how car makers insist on installing their own proprietary GPS systems. You can change the brightness, fancy screen transitions, beeps, change voices etc... everything but easily map a route from point A to point B.

Gotta admit the wife's cars GPS works okay... but it sure ain't no Garmin!
Old 04-09-2022, 03:44 AM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
OK, so if everyone says to have backup to the GPS as well as proper programming of the unit, then what is the point of having one?
Lt Keefer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 05:36 AM   #11
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
OK, so if everyone says to have backup to the GPS as well as proper programming of the unit, then what is the point of having one?
Because it's a tool, an aide to navigation, one of several tools in that category.

And the GPS tool has more functions than just turn-by-turn directions.
Old 04-09-2022, 10:17 AM   #12

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Michigan
THOR #20290
Quote:
Good question.

My husband uses it for the speedometer. The way he sits or positions himself in the driver seat the steering wheel blocks his view of the speedometer on the dash panel. (Thank you Thor design team.) Don't ask him to program it for navigation though. Not happening.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:01 PM   #13

THOR #16721
Quote:
A brief history:

The underlying network of global positioning satellites (GPS) was developed and deployed by the Unites States Government, initially for "military logistics", but access by civilians was opened in the 1980s. WE THE PEOPLE essentially "own" the system AND technology, because it was designed and developed using OUR tax dollars. So... it's essentially one of those "social programs" which we're supposed to hate.

The underlying structure is essentially the same for everyone; the differences are in the hardware and software used for receiving and interpreting the data. Some receiver devices are inherently better designed "tools", while others are poorly designed toys with pretty window dressing.

So... if YOUR particular "GPS receiver" unit's function isn't up to your standards, don't blame the underlying government GPS system - the same one used by the United States military... blame the goofball engineer in some private company who designed your GPS receiver unit's hardware and software so poorly.
Old 04-09-2022, 02:27 PM   #14
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
A brief history:

The underlying network of global positioning satellites (GPS) was developed and deployed by the Unites States Government, initially for "military logistics", but access by civilians was opened in the 1980s. WE THE PEOPLE essentially "own" the system AND technology, because it was designed and developed using OUR tax dollars. So... it's essentially one of those "social programs" which we're supposed to hate.

The underlying structure is essentially the same for everyone; the differences are in the hardware and software used for receiving and interpreting the data. Some receiver devices are inherently better designed "tools", while others are poorly designed toys with pretty window dressing.

So... if YOUR particular "GPS receiver" unit's function isn't up to your standards, don't blame the underlying government GPS system - the same one used by the United States military... blame the goofball engineer in some private company who designed your GPS receiver unit's hardware and software so poorly.
But the GPS complaints aren't about the GPS unit's ability to tell you where you are, that function of the tool for automotive positioning is well within the design accuracy for even the cheapest units.

Most units use the same source for their maps so that usually isn't a problem on a unit that can and does have regular map updates. Even older, non-updateable units have good maps for 98% of the roads, so only an issue where roads are added/changed.

The problem people encounter is the software algorithm that determines the "best" route to take from where they are to their programmed destination. Better GPS units also allow you to customize HOW you want to travel by allowing the user to input height, weight, width of the vehicle, road preferences, avoidance options, as well as whether time or distance is favored. But for some GPS units "You can't fix stupid".

Another issue is the depth and accuracy of their POI database.
Old 04-09-2022, 03:55 PM   #15

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #21919
It is impossible to get lost with a GPS. The system is designed to tell you where you are exactly.

Now, you can "blame" the GPS for getting you lost if you want. In the end it is operator error.

A paper map cannot tell you where you are. A GPS is superior in that sense.

Old 04-09-2022, 05:51 PM   #16

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportcoupe View Post
It is impossible to get lost with a GPS. The system is designed to tell you where you are exactly.

Now, you can "blame" the GPS for getting you lost if you want. In the end it is operator error.

A paper map cannot tell you where you are. A GPS is superior in that sense.

Agree. Getting "lost" is a state of mind. Most smartphones today will still receive location data even though it's not receiving cell signal. The problem is that most people rely on internet connected mapping for their smartphone GPS.

The key is to have the mapping data/software already on your device... the way standalone GPS units do. This mapping data is usually downloaded onto the device when connected to WiFi or a cell tower signal. However, this is "inconvenient"... and that mapping data requires a huge chunk of memory space.

When outdoors within sight/range of GPS satellites with no available cell signal, even Google Maps will give a low resolution image showing your location.

I'm not familiar with this story of the lost people, but with today's technology and resources available, getting TRULY lost is quite a feat!

As for the "smart" programmable features - things like size of vehicle, route avoidance, fastest vs shortest (and vice versa) routing - those are all device/software specific. Some work well, some not so well. Factor in "ease of use" and "user aptitude" and you have a plethora of potential problems. BUT... none of those have anything to do with the GPS system itself - it's all dependent on how those signals are accessed/interpreted/displayed for or by the end user.
Old 04-09-2022, 06:08 PM   #17

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
A gps fool can just as easily blow up a pressure cooker or put gasoline in their radiator overflow.

There is no stopping them from anything.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 07:04 PM   #18

THOR #6433
I use mine because of the convenience. I normally plan out the days drive beforehand. But just like the GPS I could chose the wrong route as well. The nice thing about the GPS is knowing exactly where you are. Better then the road signs telling when the next services are.

Last year coming back from Disneyworld the compass and wind direction was extremely helpful when we were driving back through Wyoming and Montana. Driving at night out there it can be really hard to know what direction you are going in. Add in the wind that was constantly changing help immensely while driving.
Old 04-09-2022, 07:12 PM   #19

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There's an app called
Windy
Which is excellent at wind direction and speed, allowing you to dodge some bad stuff.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 04:23 PM   #20

THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
There's an app called
Windy
Which is excellent at wind direction and speed, allowing you to dodge some bad stuff.
Oh that’s good to know, I will have to download that. Thank you