Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Travel | Camping Spots | Roads and Routes
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2017, 03:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35 M
State: New York
THOR #6832
Grand Canyon in January

Was wondering if anyone has been there in the winter. Also looking for a good rv park. I see one that looks interesting the Railway rv park which is across from the railroad station. Has any one stayed there or has another suggestion for a 3 or 4 nite stay.thanks

Old 12-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
THOR #5330
I will probably be eaten alive for this but I would not attempt the Grand Canyon in the winter because of the conditions. The North Rim I believe will be pretty bad because of the snow and ice. The elevation there is pretty high. We stayed at a campground? just outside the gates in the town, it was overpriced and very run down, probably would not stay there if other options were available, everything INSIDE the park was reserved. Maybe in January if you make it there will be available.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #3

THOR #5410
Railroad RV park

We stayed at that park in may. Very nice village location with great amenities it is a long way to the actual canyon so we got a package that included the train ride and meals. There are packages that include one night at the south rim also. If I were to do it again I would pay the extra and stay one night. We took the train up and then bus tour around the rim. It was may 1 and quite cold so I wore a winter jacket but wonderful.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:48 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
north rim will be closed as I understand it....

The first time I visited the canyon's south rim was in February...although we weren't in the RV. We stayed at El Tovar Lodge.
it was cold.....windy.... and we saw some snow fall while we were there....but it was fun. Trailer village is the only campground in the park with power...and I think you would need power in the cold...but maybe you don't? I don't know if that place is open in the winter or not.

If you don't need power, there's plenty of dispersed camping areas in the national forests. That's what we did there this summer. It was great!